Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hello, below I have a photo of an Associated Gas Station. I know what the globes are, just trying to identify the pumps and their correct model number. Any help appreciated. Utahbob

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Yes, they are Tokheim 39's. appear to be model#39-ESP

Last edited by tjhvintage; Tue Dec 06 2011 10:35 PM.

Member #163
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for you reply, it has been a big help. Utahbob

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Utahbob,
I think what you are doing is great! Learning about history and matching up photos of what is in the pics.
Please keep in mind photos posted on the web are property and you might want to ask for permission before using. Some people will be fine with it but some might not be.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Jarvis, thanks for the advice on the pictures. I understand that for sure. I have a published book called Surfin' Guitars Instrumental Surf Bands of the Sixties. I will be releasing the 3rd edition next year. The first one came out in 1988. All the other books I plan to put out are for the museum's benefit and not mine. Thanks. Utahbob

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Jarvis,

You mentioned:

Please keep in mind photos posted on the web are property and you might want to ask for permission before using.

So, let me understand if I may.

1- These pictures belong to who?

2- If I have a question about a GLOBE LENSE or a SIGN, I must ask for permission to post a picture of them?

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Photos are always the property of the person who took them, covered under copywrite laws, for instance, you cannot use pictures from the globe book without asking the permission of the authors.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sun Dec 11 2011 10:36 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
they have revised those laws..seems like the man was doing research for his museum which is mentioned in the fair use act
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Kyle DeKoning

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Lost Highway, thanks for your input to this question. It is very much appreciated. Utahbob

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know from time to time images have been lifted from this site and pasted into commercial petro websites and that is just not right nor is it fair use. And because OLDGAS has a clear disclaimer about images created/taken by members being their copyright, no one can claim 'they didn't know!'

I used to teach and used images in powerpoints. I always asked, and always, always gave credit as a caption of who took the original image including and especially if the author of the work considered it copyrighted.

For example:

Used with permission, Copyright 2010, Joe Shmoe

If the source material said limited use for educational purposes acceptable I usually did not need to contact the actual photographer but would put something in the credits like this:

Copyright 2010, Ohio University.

The images were for a small group (my class) and I never posted them on the internet.

If I was to change the use (ie advertisement for a class in some brochure or on line) I would try to have original photos that I took, before asking someone about sharing anything on the web, and in fact I think few photographers would allow that kind of use.

UtahBob, I think as a curator, if you are going to use current images at your museum, it's a good idea to always ask first. And if they say no, there may be someone else who is willing to provide you their image. Make sure they are clear on the extent of your use, and get their permission in writing.

I do the same with models I paint, always have them sign a model release form that spells out that I will have copyright to all reference photos and the final painting and that the painting will be for sale to the public and an image of the painting is a part of my portfolio.

I know, I know TMI Hey I'm waiting for my laundry to dry! smile

Last edited by Nicole; Mon Dec 12 2011 05:25 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Nicole and all the great people here on this site. This is exactly what I was going to do. If I decide to use a photo of a globe/pump etc in our gas station display, I will get permission from you before using it. The same things goes for a small book on West Jordan Early Gas Station. This will be used to help acquire funds for the display if needed. I will be using photos acquired from the Utah State Historical Society and the Salt Lake County Archives and the West Jordan Historical Society and Museum. I will give them proper credit for the use of photos they provided. I have ads that I copied from various issues of the Ute/Midvale Sentinel that is no longer in business. The Midvale Museum has a full bounded set of them which they allowed me access to scan the ads. The museum and the newspaper are getting credit. Heck I may even give myself permission for the photos I took for this. Anyway, I am not out to steal anything from you guys. Everyone will get credit if I use your images. This is a great site and without the information provided by everyone here, you have made more accurate than it would have been on my research alone and photos of globes and pumps that I would have not had any access to. Thanks and Happy holidays to you all. Utahbob

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved