Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#291100 Thu Dec 15 2011 02:15 PM
B
boozer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
NOW THAT I HAVE FINISHED ALL BLASTING AND PREP WORK ON MY DAYTON BOYLE GAS CART I CAN'T DESIDE WHAT BRAND AND COLOR I SHOULD PAINT IT. A FEW WISE MEN (ON THIS SITE) ONCE TOLD ME THAT RED SELLS BEST, BUT I JUST NEED MORE FEEDBACK. SHOULD I GO WITH "ESSO", "FIRE CHIEF/TEXACO", OR "GULF". I'M LEANING TOWARD GULF BECAUSE I SEE SO MUCH RED ON PUMPS AND GAS CARTS BUT I'M A LITTLE AFRAID BECAUSE I PLAN TO SELL IT WHEN I FINISH IT. IF I GO ESSO I PLAN TO DO THE RED AND CREAM COLOR. OK FIRE AWAY. THANKS AGAIN
THE FIRST PICTURE IS THE CART BEFORE I STARTED WORKING ON IT.HAVING A PROBLEM ADDING PIX.WILL DO IT IN A FEW MINUTES.

$(KGrHqEOKjcE31vVndmnBN+WZLsmr!~~0_3.jpg FirestoneGasPump.jpg esso.JPG reduced%20store%20front.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
boozer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I GUESS THE PICTURES LOADED AFTER ALL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just a thought if your having problems figuring out what color to paint and your going to sell it, maybe get your customer involved. It worked for me once I let them pick the color scheme the signs everything and I did all the work and told them how much before we started. I know it's selling an idea but it does get them involved and they take ownership in the process.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I just finished a Gilbarco 900 series in "That Good Gulf" for a customer in OKC. If you send me your email address, I'll send you a picture. You might like the three color layout? Tom Buckles tried to teach me how to load pictures on Old Gas.....he failed miserably!LOL send to: paulhittle@juno.com Thanks, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Man, all those pumps look great, but I am kind of partial to the Gimmore red/cream colors with their logo on those type carts. As said above, maybe get the customer involved.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
When I was restoring pump and dragging them to shows I might have four pumps restored (none of them Texaco) and the first guy to come by would always say, "I would buy that pump if it were Texaco."

Restoring the item in one company color narrows your amount of customers to only those who want something from that company.

Also, always look at the "percentage of profit." By this I mean, if you purchase something for $200 and can turn it for $400 you are doubling your money. But if you take this same item you paid $200 for and put $500 in it, then sell it for $1100, you are not making the same "percentage of profit." And you are looking for someone who has $1100 to spend, instead of someone who has $400 to spend.

If you are doing this to make money, and you can double your money without doing anything, take the money and run.

Remember "Percentage of Profit."

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I personally think the cart would look awesome in GULF colors. I see alot of red(mainly Texaco and Esso). But I also agree with Jack about the Percentage of Profit.....A rolling nickel is better than a standing dime...

Brandon Ferguson

Brandon Ferguson
Central City, KY
Farm Related Advertising
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
..A rolling nickel is better than a standing dime...

Brandon Ferguson [/quote]

I usually get these ssayings....but don't understand that one. LOL. Can you explain that one?

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
This was my grandads outlook on anything he bought or sold. By rolling nickel, it means selling something fast. Sure you might not make as much as you could have, but you can instantly take the money and invest in something else. Standing dime means having to sit on something for awhile to make more money.

Hope this makes sense.

Brandon Ferguson

Brandon Ferguson
Central City, KY
Farm Related Advertising
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Personally....hot Shell yellow....with red accents would make that cart pop.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I don't know but you sure do have a nice garage !!!

Doug

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like the idea of Shell, but for resale I would do it red with no brand. Polish up the brass or have a few things brass plated if there are no brass parts. If it were red, the new owner could choose several brands that would work on a red pump.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
B
boozer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT. ALTHOUGH I THINK GULF WOULD LOOK GREAT I THINK I'M GOING TO DO IT RED AND WAIT FOR THE BRANDING UNTIL IT SELLS.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved