Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
Wow what an eye opener. I have been restoring classic cars and thought I would restore a 1959 Tokheim 300 pump I aquired for my garage. What I originally visioned for a finished pump has been changed and revised several times now that I started doing research on these pumps.There is a lot of history and variations even with a single model pump. I can see where this can be addictive and has my imagination going beyond this single project. I find myself thinking back through the years of all the places I have seen the signs, pumps etc. that I am now reading about and wondering what has happen to them. Anyway, I am not starting my pump restoration untill I know exactly what is correct and not mismatched. Still have not been able to find what the X-P after the 300 on the model plate stands for. I want to be sure its not a pump for a specific oil company before I choose a product image.
Thanks for opening my eyes to another side of my hobby.

Last edited by Camaro man; Tue Jan 03 2012 04:30 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I'm in the process of tearing down a 300 also. I checked the ID tag and mine is a 300 P dated 1957. I dug out my Tokheim manuals and the one I have for the 300 model(printed 1961) doesn't offer much help. It does mention a remote island dispenser that doesn't have an internal pump. Could the XP stand for external pump? Does your pump have an electric motor and pump in it?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pretty sure the "P" = Ad Panel, "X" might denote Xtra Hose.

IF it was T or TW, pump was made for TIDEWATER.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Tue Jan 03 2012 10:43 PM.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Restoring classic cars and pumps have some foundational differences.

A Tokheim 300 was used by many gas companies, had numerous paint schems, and ended up in various places all over the country.

The id tags on the pumps aren't going to give you detailed info like the vin on a car.

Pick a gas company that you like, something that goes with the scheme of your shop and it will be just fine. Almost everyone that restores pumps removes the guts and restores to a gas company of their liking.

There are books available that will give you the color schemes of various oil companies.

Welcome to your new addiction.

C
OP Offline
C
The pump does have an ad panel so the P makes sense.(thanks Dick)
Which brings another question, if I should decide to go with a Texaco Firechief scheme would the ad glass say Regular or Firecheif? Yes Steve my pump does have a motor in it. You mentioned your Tokheim manuals,do these manuals have detailed information in them such as assembly/disassembly,exploded parts views etc.? I was also wondering about the pump signs on a 1959 Texaco scheme, were these signs, decals or could they have been either? Thanks everyone for your help.

Last edited by Camaro man; Wed Jan 04 2012 08:51 AM.
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
I believe that the ad glass should say Regular based on what I have been told here about mine, but I am not convinced because I believe they had ad glass for Fire Chief.
I have a 300 that I did in Fire Chief. Has globe, ad glass and decals on the door. Might have gone overboard I guess. Pm me and I can email you some pics if you like.
John

Last edited by Vermonter; Wed Jan 04 2012 09:28 AM.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320821344530&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
The manual is a repair parts manual, so it's comprised of exploded views with part numbers for every nut, bolt, and washer in the pump.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Texaco did have Fire Chief ad glass and I remember seeing different pumps with ad glass reading "regular" and others with "Fire Chief". Of course that was in the early 60s.

Looking in the new second edition of "PCM's Guide to Gas Pump Restoration" there is no definite answer. So I believe you will be correct with either glass.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
C
OP Offline
C
I got my new 2nd edition of Guide to Gas Pump Restoration and it appears that Firechief pumps in 1959 all had signs not decals.The
book has good information and is very well written. Good job Wayne and Scott. Just about got what I need to get started. Have nozzle side panel damage which I am going to try and straighten out before searching for a replacement panel. I am sure questions will surface once I get started. Thanks to everyone that has given me help and info.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ask tbuckles or PumpDump for a panel before spending too much time on a panel, might be cheaper w/ shipping than time spent.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The way shippers handle packages. He might have a panel arrive at his front door requiring more body work then the panel he currently has.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm sure w/ the recent YouTube Video's there have been some BUTT Kicking Memo's sent to all delivery drivers.

Veteran Member
Online Cool
Veteran Member
I do not believe that to be true. I have and have seen porcelain Firechief pump plates dated in the 60's.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
C
OP Offline
C
Does anybody know if a Tokheim 1063 nozzle would have been used on a late 60s Tokheim 300 pump?

C
OP Offline
C
Made a mistake on year of above nozzle request. would it have been used on late 50s pump?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Camaro man: I have seen pictures of restored pumps with Texaco Fire Chief ad glass below the face plates and even saw a picture or two of pumps at Texaco stations the same way. These were independent Texaco owners and not corporate stations. But, Texaco did not authorize ad glass below the face plates. By company standards, as I understand it, ad glass for Texaco was to be at the top of the pump. If others disagree, please speak up.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved