Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Enco59 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I grew up in the in the Houston area until I was 15 and my Family moved to our Farm in South Central Texas. Anyway,I'm looking for some information about the following Gas Stations that have long since dissapeared: Hancock;Ritter's;Kayo and Site. They went out of business sometime in the 70's. Now here's some info about them. Site was a brand of Gas Stations primarily in the Houston area. Ritter's was a brand of Gas Stations in the South and Central Texas areas ranging mainly from Corpus Christi to Temple. I'm not sure about Kayo and Hancock.I think that Kayo was a division of Conoco.I don't remember too much about Hancock.Main thing I remember that they were two brands that my Parents always bought Gas at. Your help is appreciated.

------------------
Enco59

Enco59
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Hancock was based out here in California. I don't have the company history here but I do have this photo from the grand opening ad in the local newspaper circa 1956. This station was on Highway 101 in Buellton. It was later re-branded to Douglas and then Lerner.

C Cragg
E
Enco59 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
TABunch.I remember my folks usually bought gas at a Hancock Station in Wharton,Texas.(Close to Houston.)

------------------
Enco59

Enco59
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I live in Warsaw, Illinois which is right where Iowa, Missouri, and Illinois all come together. The closest town in Iowa is Keokuk and they still have a Site station in service. It is a large station with 8-10 pumps and a auto carwash. Same old logo, yellow sign with blue lettering. The company still runs and the headquarters are based out of Iowa, not for sure in what town though.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

This Site station is still operating in Findlay Ohio.
This picture taken in 2000

E
Enco59 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Well I'll Be Dog Gone and Stone Dead!!I always Site was primarlily in the Houston area.Okay.That's Two down.Now if I can find out about Kayo and Ritter's,I'll have a Full House!!TABunch Guys!!

------------------
Enco59

Enco59
M
M
Hey Enco59, your right, I remember seeing Hancock stations in the Houston area when I was kid. Accordind to the "Oil Company Signs" book. Signal bought out Hancock in 1958 and shortly afterwards they also bought a small chain here in the Houston area called Watson Oil Co. They then rebranded the Watson Stations as Hancock.

The only thing I know about Kayo is they were acquired at some point by Conoco. Ritters, as I understand it was headquartered in Austin

By the way, my dad always stopped in Wharton to by gas also, when were down that way. It was one of the few places in Texas that had an Amoco station, and that's who he worked for. They had a station on 59 between the Larry's Mexican resturant (if you remember that place) and the Bridge over the Colorado River.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a Ritters pump plate that I photographed at the Columbus show 2 years ago for $295.

------------------
Scott Shipers
Kansas City, MO

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
E
Enco59 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Well Doggies!!MarkyMark,talk about a coincidence!!I spent the first 15 years of my life in Freeport,but since my Parents had a Farm outside of Flatonia,we used to go through Wharton on a regular basis. I remember that the Kayo Station was right beside the SP Line to Boling and Pledger. And the Hancock Station was just maybe a mile or so up the road. As i said earlier,my Parents nearly always stopped there for gas. Anyway,my Wife is ready to go out and about for the day,so I gotta close for now. Anyhow,keep in touch.I'll be back later Today.

------------------
Enco59

Enco59

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved