Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I am wondering if anyone here knows how to tell the difference between an original and a reprocudtion White Rose globe. White Rose globes were reproduced by several different people and not all have dates or look the same. I guess this would only lead to seeing the lens up close and looking for the typical glass imperfections found on original globes. Anyone know of any other ways to tell? Can anyone tell if the photo below is an original?

Last edited by canadianoilguy; Mon Feb 13 2012 11:05 AM.

Always looking for Red Indian Tins, McColl Frontenac, McColl Bros., Buffalo (prarie cities oil co), Stellarene and other western canadian tins.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This globe looks real to me by this picture and i will tell you why. These lenses are made for glass bodies... glass body lenses are thicker glass and deep notched. Being the bottom of the capco does not touch which means the lens is thick. Also i can see the notches when it is in the capco.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
here is the one sold on autogrotto.com, it is quite similar, but is very thankfully marked as a reproduction! It has notches like Jarvis describes, but not as deep, meaning its for a capco only.

I have also asked Lance from Pogogas to forward a photo so we can see the difference there as well.

Last edited by canadianoilguy; Mon Feb 13 2012 12:52 PM.

Always looking for Red Indian Tins, McColl Frontenac, McColl Bros., Buffalo (prarie cities oil co), Stellarene and other western canadian tins.
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
I would bet it is a pergl globe and he has all his 13 1/2 lenses deep notched

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
White Rose globes are tough because there were some early very well done repo's that had the frosted background, and were spot on for originals. Here is a copy of mine, which are all marked on the top in the black border. These fit better in the new capco bodies but are still done on double strength glass with deep nothces, the one up top appears to be an original IMHO.

Visit our Website or FaceBook Page

Lance @ Pogos Garage

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
well there was a fellow back here in Ontario, actually there were two of them to my knowledge, I won't mention there names on here though,,, they made them in the late 70's and eighties and never marked them as such., they nothched them themselves and some were deep and some were not, they fit perfectly on capco bodies or glass bodies,, most people around here back then could NOT tell the difference from originals,,they were that good,,I myself would not buy a pair from most collectors unless I knew where they had spent all their life. JMO

Last edited by Wes Hague; Mon Feb 13 2012 02:00 PM.

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's a reproduction set of lens. I don't agree with Jarvis. Lots of reproduction lens are deep notched. Service Station Nostalgia (Kim WIDRICK) out of Alberta, Canada was reproducing lense that were deep notched and were made of thick glass. If you mounted them in a body from Gas Pump Haven (their bodies use to have thinner groves) the body would have the gap at the bottom. If you mounted the same lens in one of Scott Anderson's (Time Passages) bodies (wider groove) it would fit perfect.
Lot's of reproduction lens have no markings.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Mon Feb 13 2012 02:02 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
In my opinion there isn't anyone on this site, "OLDGAS.COM" that can tell if they are real or reproduction from these pictures,,, you would need to have them in your hand and look at them inside and out and then not be 100% sure..
BEWARE CHRIS !!!

Last edited by Wes Hague; Mon Feb 13 2012 02:05 PM.

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I had the same problem with a pair I found in my neighbours barn.He said he had them for 30 years so I thought great "originals".I started to question there great shape and sent Lonnie Hop some pics. He straightened me out, early 80's repops that weren't marked. It was still fun digging them up. Dave

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Couldn't agree more with you Wes. You just can't make a definitive assessment based on a photograph. No matter how talented one may think they are or how deep their self professed expertise may run.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I said from this pic that was posted i would have guessed them as originals. I would have to hold them in my hands to know for sure.

Thanks for clearing up the stories of these lenses. I sure am glad i don't own a set because anyone that reads this will just about cut the value to nothing. Just another globe added to my do not buy list!

Back to why reproduction stuff needs to be marked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I guessed i learned from today's replies i won't bother replying to posts asking if it's real or not anymore.

I never claimed to be an expert by the way!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Im a relatively new guy to this site and love to read and learn about this stuff.I can see by your member # Jarvis you've been at it for quite a while.I dont like when threads go this way.I appreciate the veteran members giving their thoughts on an item.Sometimes their right sometimes not so right.I just take it with a grain of salt Lol! and read on!!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Take care guys.I can assure you that this site cannot afford to lose any more veterans who are willing to post.For instance,I'm quite sure that we in NM can tell you more about the brands of Malco,Horn,Hedges,Whiting Brothers and more than any who doesn't live here will ever know.

Hang in there JJ;I'm trying.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks to everyone for the input! These lenses have always scared me.. I think thats why you never see them sell for big money. Compared to other Canadian globes, these should bring big money, but I think their credibility has been tainted by the lack of info. I was really hoping for a tell tale sign, like with the Red Indian globes. Maybe something will still pop up?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved