Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#306013 Sun Feb 19 2012 05:27 PM
pipes Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
So--- I Bought this old Oil drum at a garage sale this summer for 5 bucks because i assumed the label had just faded away. you could barely read it at all like the paint was just barely there... well today my buddy was over and was like "hey, whats that oil can say??" i was like, not sure i think its pretty faded. so he pulled it down and we looked really closely and realized it was covered in some kind of greasy paint or thin tar that was dried and looked like faded paint.

Took it in the garage and put some soap on it. nothing. then tried some windex.. nothing.... then a little watered down degreaser....a little came off and a bright red and white letter appeared !! so after about 45 minutes of windex, degreaser, and some delicate elbow grease, it mostly came off !! i was so pumped !!!

Heres a few pictures!

btw, anyone know what the value of this can would be?

Looking for H.S. Goodell , Barkhausen , Gitchee Gumee, and other Local Upper Peninsula Michigan oil company items.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is awesome ......nice find!

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
VERY NICE SUCCESS!

What does the other side look like?

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
pipes Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
the other side looks like its painted also but there are some tiny rust pits here and there.... tried some degreaser and some diesel on it but didnt do much... there is some red and white paint chips under the black which lead me to beleive there is something under the black paint.

any suggestions on what to use to take paint off but not affect the logo underneath? (if there is one??) i was really careful on the other side. i have tried getting grease off before and wound up marring/scuffing/erasing the paint/logos off....dont want that to happen!

Greg

Looking for H.S. Goodell , Barkhausen , Gitchee Gumee, and other Local Upper Peninsula Michigan oil company items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Super nice score!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What you have is a 5 gallon "rocker" oil can from the 1920s-1930s.

On ebay rockers cans regularly sell for between $15 to over $500.... Of course the condition of the can, company and condition of the logo (not the same as condition of can) will determine the value....

There is a Kendall rocker can on ebay right now..#320849367843
It is getting a lot of interest, a little less than 2 days to go with 13 bids so far.................

You rock the can forward to pour the oil out of the spout.....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved