Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
KZ1000 #308531 Wed Feb 29 2012 10:39 AM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
I had a situation the other day. A bread sign popped up for $10 Buy It Now. Wasn't sure if it was legit or not, but I bought it anyway.

The seller emailed me almost right away and said they meant to list it for $100 and made a mistake. Based on their other items, I looked after I won the other auction, I think it was a mistake.

I had two options, let them off the hook, or hold them to the letter of the eBay law and make them send me the sign.

Mistakes Happen, Technology Screws Things up, brains get foggy.

So, I took the high road and let them off the hook.

Collector of Illinois Oil Company, Iowa Oil Company, Round Outboard Motor Oil Quarts, St. Louis Gas Pumps, Double Cola, and anything else awesome.
advertologist #308539 Wed Feb 29 2012 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I hate to burst your bubble on forcing the seller to sell. You really can't. I had a similar situation several years ago on ebay where I was the buyer. When the seller told me they "changed their mind" and wouldn't sell it. Ebay told me they cannot force someone to sell/send an item. They are a venue and not in possesion of the item. I spoke to a few lawyers and they all agreed. If you place anad int he newspaer for an item and someone calls...you do not have to sell it. Even if you sell your house....if (either the seller or the buyer) wants to back out they can. Even up to the time you are sitting at the clsoing. Heck, it is even hard to keep the money as the down payament on a house. Been there...done that. Would appreciate hearing from others who have had similar or different experiences.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Alex #308548 Wed Feb 29 2012 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
None of us will ever know what happened. Hopefully it wasn't because of a 3rd party that the sign was relisted.... Like most of you on Ebay, I have saved searches and get a list of items each morning that Ebay's computer program flags....

Sometimes I look at the emails after an auction has ended and kick myself because I would have bid on an item... Hopefully someone else didn't take it a step further and contact the seller telling him that they would have paid more for the sign.... And possibly the seller then deciding that the auction should be a "do over". But as I said, we will never know for sure.....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #308611 Wed Feb 29 2012 03:39 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Someone has been emailing the sellers after seeing signs sell cheap...
They did it to me on an Indian sign! Whats funny is the seller TOLD me he had an offer from Massachasetts that was twice what I paid and HE was willing to take a negative from me to pay his bills!
Ebay would do NOTHING!!!!!!!

Last edited by tomzcollectiblez; Wed Feb 29 2012 04:21 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
lmao, It wasn't me, I have never, and never will, ask to end an auction or cut into somebody elses deal

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved