Next Thread
Print Thread
#30838 Tue Jun 14 2005 05:57 PM
W
Petro Enthusiast
OP Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
W
I am new to gas pump restoaration but I have been receiving expert advice from my friend who paints street rods and auto restorations. However, the pumps I intend to keep I would prefer to restore to a dull or satin red Atlantic finish. I prefer items to look more original than over restored. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#30839 Tue Jun 14 2005 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Use a paint brush, lightly hand sand, then apply auto paste wax. Buff by hand.
They did 40+ years ago.
db

whiteflash,
You sound like me. Seeing pumps with clear coat, pinstriped & lots of plateing/polishing, look PHONY/FAKE/REPODUCTION !
They NEVER left the factory that way.
BUT TO EACH HIS OWN, I don't have any or want the FANTSY LOOK.

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 06-14-2005).]

#30840 Tue Jun 14 2005 07:20 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
db's exactly right! There was even a topic on here about a year ago regarding "aging" a pump restoration, it was really interesting!! The finsh coat was something that chemically reacted with the color coat and cracked it.
Even though I thrive on SUPER SLICK paint jobs on gas pumps, a good friend of mine (who is actually one of the smartest people I know), upon seeing my first restoration job said "when that pump was built and left the Bennett factory there's no way it looked that good, it would've stood out like a sore thumb!"
He's EXACTLY right!!

Neal

#30841 Tue Jun 14 2005 08:58 PM
Online Cool
There are some cars that have a satin finish on some accent trim parts like lower front bumper valence. We have used a flattener additive in the clearcoat to get the reduced gloss, yet it still has the durability. It has a range of mixing ratios to get a range of gloss from flat to full gloss. You might want to experiment with small test panels first.
I think you could paint a pump with that stuff and make it look like a vintage "as found" pump.

Here's the "P sheet" link for a pdf of product information: http://www.ppg.com/refinishftpsite/docs/p-217.pdf

I'm sure most automotive paint companies have a system to flatten the gloss of their clear. Ask your jobber.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#30842 Tue Jun 14 2005 11:55 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Jim you beat me to it.Your exactly right.Alot of the restos on the big dollar mopars are using this technique for the flat black hoods and seems to hold up well.Paint em the way U want em!

------------------

#30843 Wed Jun 15 2005 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Another trick for that old dull look is to reduce your expensive single stage enamel paint with plain old laquer thinner.You won't get a shine that way. Just try it on a small test panel and mix it the way you normally would except don't use a hardener or enamel reducer.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved