Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Several people have contacted me Aumann Auctions and Proxibid concering problems they had bidding on line like items PASSED or Skipped items or just not being able to bid.
This is not a witch hunt it was suggested by Dan Matthews of Aumann Auctions.Your input will help in future auctions.
Did you have any problems bidding? Please let us know.
REX LIKES OLDGAS

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Rex..i dont know if they were problems or I didnt understand what was going on? I bid on a globe and proxibid said I was leading..it closed and went to someone onsite for less than my bid..I was bidding live so maybe they didnt recieve it but I am on comcast cable and I think they should have ...plus proxibid said I was leading. Oh well. I am not sure why they skipped stuff? Does that mean they didnt sell? If soi I would be interested in the mobil and Magnolia padlocks if they didnt sell.

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I too was wondering about why some items were marked as "passed" or "Not Sold" or what ever it said. Does that mean they did not get a high enough opening bid?

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was registered and even prebid on some items..come auction time had to download programs AGAIN to bid and kept coming up with an error and not able to load so said to hell with it and never bid..

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I had a lot of trouble at the Peotone auction last fall, but this time it went smoother. There was one instance where I placed a bid of $550 on the White Eagle with base damage and it sold for $500. I thought 'oh well, win some lose some' that one didn't bother me because I really didn't want that particular globe that badly anyway but I still thought it was weird....maybe it was my computer....I will still participate in the future. I thought this sale went real well.....

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Hubba your the third person that said the locks were passed that use to mean no opening bid.Now I have been told it means the computer on site was not working.The locks did sell on site the 2 Mobil sets sold for $50 & $25.......
Another person said he had won a item and then another bidder was awarded the item?
thanks for the info so far.
REX LIKES OLDGASSERs

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
I had good luck and no problem with my bids on line. What I have found, and have told Dan, is a problem with you have virus protection or spam protection on your computer Proxi bid won't work unless you deactivate all your protection which is stupid. The other thing I've found is if you have a bid for, let's say $1,000 on an item and the bidding goes along and your on line bid goes to $900, even if you have an online bid of $1,000, someone on site who bids the $1,000 knocks you off. Anyway you look at it, Aumann is doing a good job and we are seeing the opportunity to purchase some nice items. See you all at Seth's auction. Please say hello if you are there
Ray Seider

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
what ran in to was the item shown didn't match the number on the audio it was like six numbers off . so i logged off then back on .this happen twice i missed two auction that way that i would have one . one was the red ball globe that old gas got i think
and the mobil chalk board not the baseball one. o well no big deal.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Proxibid is not Mac friendly, so I was not able to bid. Bring back Bidspotter

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I was bidding on an auction from Houston that Proxibid was hosting and it locked up tighter than a drum. I rebooted several times and even went to my lap-top, but no luck for almost 200 lots. There were several pumps that went for 50% of what I was planning on bidding. I tried to call their customer service and even left a voice message and an e-mail message and never heard anything back. I'm crossing my fingers that Bidspotter does me a good job on the 18th. This is the 4th year we've used them and they've had minor issues, but never anything real bad. There are some things about Proxibid that I really like though.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Rex,
Here's a comment I placed on another Old Gas thread on Jan 28...

"Anybody have trouble with Proxibid internet bidding on the Benson auction today?? I was signed up, downloaded all the software updates and logged in live. Tried to bid on a sign and the auction never took my bid (I'm on DSL not dial-up). I watched helplessly while the sign went for less than half of my planned top bid price!! Very frustrating and inexcusable!!"

Ray Sieder mentioned something about anti-virus or spam blocker interferring with bidding. However, I've never had a problem with it before.

Thought you may want to know.

Paul

[This message has been edited by Pablo (edited 02-03-2006).]

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I brought this subject up over a year ago. The computer said I was the top bidder, then the item was given to someone on the floor for less than what I bid.
When I put this on this forum, I was put down for critizing the auctioneer.
I was made to look like the bad guy. All kinds of phone call could not rectify the problem, I didn't get the item.

These "on line" auctions need to either get more lines coming in, or get something that tells the auctioneer who is the highest bidder, or just don't have on line bidding. I have never heard of a bidder on the floor complaining that his bid was higher than the on line bid, but I have had heard many people tell me that they won't bid anymore because their on line bid was ignored.
While I think the Aumann people are the best that I have ever seen, even they seem to have their problems. Maybe they just move toooooooooooo fast.
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I live in England and although lots seem to go missing and bids did not always work, without it I would have been stuffed.
I know it's frustrating losing out but I am happy with what I managed to win.
It wasn't so long ago this kind of technology was unheard of,and hopefully with every auction it will get better.

GPG

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Rex, any idea on the final number of registered bidders both on-line and on-site? I was just curious.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Thanks for all the input....its gota hurt when a item sells lower than you were going to pay......
Sanford not sure we told different numbers of bidders on line 125-150 on line.The sales per day on-line were AY 1 20%.....
DAY 2 18%.....DAY 3 32%.....DAY 2 the auction hall was full but that was the lowest day for on-line bidders.
WE WOULD LIKE TO HERE MORE INFO ON YOUR ON-LINE BIDDING EXPERIENCE.
REX LIKES OLDGAS

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved