Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#309979 Tue Mar 06 2012 02:28 PM
P
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
P
I'm usually not one to complain or dramatize, but this kind of bothered me. I recently posted an ad under "want to buy" looking for a piece that I need to finish a gas pump restoration. A fellow oldgasser was kind enough to respond that he had the piece I was in need of. So we trade emails and he sends me pictures of the piece. But when I call him to hammer out a deal, he tells me that he's been contacted by "numerous" people who are all after the item.

Thankfully the seller is a stand-up guy and I'm sure I'll have first shot at the piece when he decides what he wants for it, but seriously!?? I can understand people doing that when something is posted under "general discussion" or "showcase" or maybe even Ebay items, but when a member here has posted a specific wanted ad for something they need/want and then other members quickly contact anyone who responds to try to "snatch it up" before the original poster can do so seems really underhanded to me. Thankfully I still look at all this stuff as just "stuff" and don't get too terribly upset about anything, but I'm just amazed at the degree of honor (or lack of) amongst collectors. Are these items really that important?? Ok...I'm done.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can appreciate your issue. If I were to post a "Wanted to Buy" I would ask the potential sellers to PM me and not have it in the public forum. Just my two-cents.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think it runs much deeper in the hobby than what shows up here on Oldgas.When I first started out I discussed this issue with a collector much more experienced than I and as I remember he said something along the lines of,"there are guys in this hobby who will walk on their mothers grave to get something they want ahead of someone else".

You know,I never forgot that conversation.And over the years as things get harder and harder to find,the more I think the comment applies.Sad but true in my experience.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sometimes things don't work out between buyer and seller. I don't see anything wrong with letting the potential seller know your interest if things don't work out for a sale between the original poster and seller.

But on the other hand the seller now knows he has other people interested and may use that to drive the price up amongst the buyers...not sure. !

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
You know someone wanted to trade a nozzle for a noozle,then went to value form and wanted to know what noozle was worth,I sent member pm and said ,if the deal doesn't work out I would be interested in his noozle,as it is one I needed also.
I didn't feel this was wrong,I didn't try to blow the first guy out of deal. I agree with Alex,do it by pm and keep me in the dark. Maybe I was wrong,you feel so I quess.O- I still need a nozzle.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Recently I posted info about the latest article I wrote for "Check the Oil" mag. Said I had an extra copy that I would send out, free including postage, to anyone who might be inerested. An Old Gaser emailed me, and he also asked about buy some of my Gas Pump ID books and some of my Air Meter ID books.

Cindy replied with the total, the guy emails back he found them on Ebay and he didn't need them. Question, Why did he bother to email me?

What a great way to thank someone who thinks he contribued something to this hobby.

Not saying goodby again, but you won't hear much from me now.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Mar 06 2012 09:45 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
P
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
P
Originally Posted By: cormy
Sometimes things don't work out between buyer and seller. I don't see anything wrong with letting the potential seller know your interest if things don't work out for a sale between the original poster and seller.

But on the other hand the seller now knows he has other people interested and may use that to drive the price up amongst the buyers...not sure. !

I would agree that there's a big difference between someone that contacts the seller in these situations and says that "if things fall through" they would like a shot and someone that flat-out tries to grab the item away from the original poster without "waiting their turn." I, personally, see no problem with the former.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
OK,really children? If you are looking for something, post your own wanted ad.

Still looking for that Union 76 ball
And I collect big old porcelain neon signs
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H.L. Mencken: "When somebody says it's not about the money, it's usually about the money"
AND "The chief value of money lies in the fact that one lives in a world in which it is overestimated."

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
They'll sell their mother too ! LOL

Last edited by blacktee; Wed Mar 07 2012 08:38 AM.
To me, this can be similar to someone standing in someone else's swap meet space and trying to sell his own items. Have some respect for another guy's turf. If you are wanting to buy or sell, post your own topic rather than hijack someone else's deal.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Or those guys who stand outside the gate as the vendors roll in and grab things out of the truck bed with a raucous "what do you want for this?"
It affirms one's belief in concealed-carry laws.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Steve, that has happened ever since I started 40 years ago at the Portland Swap meet. There has always been lines line that and people standing there picking off the stuff coming in. If they do not want to sell, then do not bring it to a swap meet.
Have found stuff in peoples trailers days before a swap meet and they were happy to sell at their and my price.
Who sets the standard for when a person is ready to sell at a swap meet? Have waited before when trucks roll in, only to have it gone half hour later and the owner says someone wanted it bad !
Have had people sell out of my booth and it is a problem I agree, They do not do it again !
I am sure we all have in the past done something to ***** someone else off, I can't throw any stones.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have a different spin on integrity. I contacted an oldgasser who was interested in a particular pump model. I have several pumps for sale and he responed with a request that I send him some photos. I sent the photos along with a price using pm's and his email address and received a followup pm indicating that he would like a second pump of the same model. Out went more pictures and an offer to deliver them half way for some gas money. Back came a request asking if I had some "tall" pumps for sale and out went some more photos and a package price. After that nothing, no pm's or emails to any of my responses. I guess he changed his mind and was afraid to tell me. No big deal but his lack of any response showed, in my opinion, a lack of integrity.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
As a parting matter, I don't think the people who run this site have much integrity either or at least don't appreciate the concept of free and open speech.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved