Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#309979 Tue Mar 06 2012 02:28 PM
P
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
P
I'm usually not one to complain or dramatize, but this kind of bothered me. I recently posted an ad under "want to buy" looking for a piece that I need to finish a gas pump restoration. A fellow oldgasser was kind enough to respond that he had the piece I was in need of. So we trade emails and he sends me pictures of the piece. But when I call him to hammer out a deal, he tells me that he's been contacted by "numerous" people who are all after the item.

Thankfully the seller is a stand-up guy and I'm sure I'll have first shot at the piece when he decides what he wants for it, but seriously!?? I can understand people doing that when something is posted under "general discussion" or "showcase" or maybe even Ebay items, but when a member here has posted a specific wanted ad for something they need/want and then other members quickly contact anyone who responds to try to "snatch it up" before the original poster can do so seems really underhanded to me. Thankfully I still look at all this stuff as just "stuff" and don't get too terribly upset about anything, but I'm just amazed at the degree of honor (or lack of) amongst collectors. Are these items really that important?? Ok...I'm done.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can appreciate your issue. If I were to post a "Wanted to Buy" I would ask the potential sellers to PM me and not have it in the public forum. Just my two-cents.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think it runs much deeper in the hobby than what shows up here on Oldgas.When I first started out I discussed this issue with a collector much more experienced than I and as I remember he said something along the lines of,"there are guys in this hobby who will walk on their mothers grave to get something they want ahead of someone else".

You know,I never forgot that conversation.And over the years as things get harder and harder to find,the more I think the comment applies.Sad but true in my experience.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sometimes things don't work out between buyer and seller. I don't see anything wrong with letting the potential seller know your interest if things don't work out for a sale between the original poster and seller.

But on the other hand the seller now knows he has other people interested and may use that to drive the price up amongst the buyers...not sure. !

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
You know someone wanted to trade a nozzle for a noozle,then went to value form and wanted to know what noozle was worth,I sent member pm and said ,if the deal doesn't work out I would be interested in his noozle,as it is one I needed also.
I didn't feel this was wrong,I didn't try to blow the first guy out of deal. I agree with Alex,do it by pm and keep me in the dark. Maybe I was wrong,you feel so I quess.O- I still need a nozzle.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Recently I posted info about the latest article I wrote for "Check the Oil" mag. Said I had an extra copy that I would send out, free including postage, to anyone who might be inerested. An Old Gaser emailed me, and he also asked about buy some of my Gas Pump ID books and some of my Air Meter ID books.

Cindy replied with the total, the guy emails back he found them on Ebay and he didn't need them. Question, Why did he bother to email me?

What a great way to thank someone who thinks he contribued something to this hobby.

Not saying goodby again, but you won't hear much from me now.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Mar 06 2012 09:45 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
P
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
P
Originally Posted By: cormy
Sometimes things don't work out between buyer and seller. I don't see anything wrong with letting the potential seller know your interest if things don't work out for a sale between the original poster and seller.

But on the other hand the seller now knows he has other people interested and may use that to drive the price up amongst the buyers...not sure. !

I would agree that there's a big difference between someone that contacts the seller in these situations and says that "if things fall through" they would like a shot and someone that flat-out tries to grab the item away from the original poster without "waiting their turn." I, personally, see no problem with the former.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
OK,really children? If you are looking for something, post your own wanted ad.

Still looking for that Union 76 ball
And I collect big old porcelain neon signs
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H.L. Mencken: "When somebody says it's not about the money, it's usually about the money"
AND "The chief value of money lies in the fact that one lives in a world in which it is overestimated."

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
They'll sell their mother too ! LOL

Last edited by blacktee; Wed Mar 07 2012 08:38 AM.
To me, this can be similar to someone standing in someone else's swap meet space and trying to sell his own items. Have some respect for another guy's turf. If you are wanting to buy or sell, post your own topic rather than hijack someone else's deal.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Or those guys who stand outside the gate as the vendors roll in and grab things out of the truck bed with a raucous "what do you want for this?"
It affirms one's belief in concealed-carry laws.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Steve, that has happened ever since I started 40 years ago at the Portland Swap meet. There has always been lines line that and people standing there picking off the stuff coming in. If they do not want to sell, then do not bring it to a swap meet.
Have found stuff in peoples trailers days before a swap meet and they were happy to sell at their and my price.
Who sets the standard for when a person is ready to sell at a swap meet? Have waited before when trucks roll in, only to have it gone half hour later and the owner says someone wanted it bad !
Have had people sell out of my booth and it is a problem I agree, They do not do it again !
I am sure we all have in the past done something to ***** someone else off, I can't throw any stones.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have a different spin on integrity. I contacted an oldgasser who was interested in a particular pump model. I have several pumps for sale and he responed with a request that I send him some photos. I sent the photos along with a price using pm's and his email address and received a followup pm indicating that he would like a second pump of the same model. Out went more pictures and an offer to deliver them half way for some gas money. Back came a request asking if I had some "tall" pumps for sale and out went some more photos and a package price. After that nothing, no pm's or emails to any of my responses. I guess he changed his mind and was afraid to tell me. No big deal but his lack of any response showed, in my opinion, a lack of integrity.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
As a parting matter, I don't think the people who run this site have much integrity either or at least don't appreciate the concept of free and open speech.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve--I think you're a bit harsh there! I've only been on this site since 2007 but I've found the originator and moderators to be more than open for people to express their opinions.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Let's not confuse courtesy with integrity.

It shows a lack of courtesy to call others vile names in a public forum that violate a Membership Agreement that all members promised to honor when they joined. It is the responsibility of the moderators of this site to make judgements on when the rules are broken and what actions need to be taken to try keep this online community away from the rancor of name-calling and personal attacks. Members who appreciate that rules are in place to keep things civil, expect integrity from the moderators in dealing with situations that are unacceptable even when the moderators actions will be unpopular with some and criticized by others.

The "concept of free and open speech" is fine as long as there is respect shown for other people and the rules of the forum are not broken.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I may not agree or have people certainly agree with me, but will say have been treated fairly by the people who run the site. I do think that they make it a point to treat all the same.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Steve in New Mex
As a parting matter, I don't think the people who run this site have much integrity either or at least don't appreciate the concept of free and open speech.

You don't like it, you can always find somewhere else!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is a family oriented forum with rules. Not the supreme court for free speech. Get over it, if you break the rules you get censored. Jim Potts operates this site with the utmost integrity.

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: bustermonty
Jim Potts operates this site with the utmost integrity.

That might be the understatement of the year, as likely all who know him will attest to that fact.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I have no idea what you wrote that got deleted, but to say you should be able to bring firearms to swap meets to deal with people you don't like sounds excessive to me.
Sorry to see you go though, but I suppose anyone with integrity would have to bow out of a websight that they feel has no respect for others.

Last edited by bppierce; Wed Mar 07 2012 07:45 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Good luck retiring again or parting again , This is a great site with great people.I think I'll stay.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Someone needs to change User Name to GRUMPIEST OLD COLLECTOR!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mick, I'm with you on this one. My thoughts exactly.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jim's the best. Other forums I've been on have had such horrible moderation, or so many issues like malware-infected pop-ups and spambot posts that I left. I've never had issues with the moderation here.
Agreeing with Mick and with especially with bppierce. Heck, with most of you all. This is one of the best forums online!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have known Jim for many many years and he is an all around good guy. Does a great job providing this site for us to use (for FREE ) I might add. He, as well as the other moderators put up with more at times than I ever would.

This is a free country and I will echo Mick's words and say if you don't like the site or how it is run please leave. (And don't come back unless you can treat the people who run the site wirh respect)

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: olddutchgas
I have known Jim for many many years and he is an all around good guy. Does a great job providing this site for us to use (for FREE ) I might add. He, as well as the other moderators put up with more at times than I ever would.

This is a free country and I will echo Mick's words and say if you don't like the site or how it is run please leave. (And don't come back unless you can treat the people who run the site wirh respect)

BINGO!!!!

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Thanks for the kind words about this site and me. In this case, several posts were moved out of public view not by me, but by one of our moderators. I trust the judgement of every moderator and back them up 100%. Without their help, I would be at the funny farm and this site would not be the quality place most of us want it to be.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
thank you Jim.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
Originally Posted By: Oldgas
In this case, several posts were moved out of public view not by me, but by one of our moderators.

I will pipe in here.... It was me.

I was sent a notification by another member about the post and after reading the post I agreed that it was against many of the user agreement rules and was in no way beneficial to this forum.... so I moved it into the moderators only section which is not viewable to the general forum members.

It is helpful when members use the notify button when they see a post that might be in question. Sometimes I dont agree, but another moderator/administrator does and moves it... sometimes the topic stays, it all depends. I tend to error on caution, a topic can always be moved back to the proper section if it is decided that a wrong choice was made. It wouldnt be the first time I was wrong at something. (but maybe the second, LOL... Just kidding.)

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
RIGHT ON RYAN!!

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Jim runs this site with alot of class. I may not agree with everyone on everything and have had post removed and been visited about my post but looking back Jim runs a big kindergarden and does it well. He carefully chooses his moderators and I am proud of the job they do and to be a member of this site.
Steve good luck on your next site and you do have a nice collection but goodbye!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is another site? lol
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was at Peotone talking with a few other collectors that post here on oldgas and we decided Jim must be one special guy to put up with this website day after day reading almost every post. I can only imagine some of the emails he has gotten over the years.

Jim does a great job running a friendly website were most of the time i don't have to worry even if my 9 year old was to read it. Bottom line is it's Jims website and his rules which everyone agreed to... people don't like it they can always go start there own site and see were that goes.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Originally Posted By: Alex
I can appreciate your issue. If I were to post a "Wanted to Buy" I would ask the potential sellers to PM me and not have it in the public forum. Just my two-cents.

Great point by ALEX!

I am hoping that we all learned something from this thread ...
SELLERS will do "PM" to communicate with the person who initiates an inquiry about a wanted item.

I believe it is a FAIR request!

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Greed ,ignorance, and arrogance often pass integrity in real life. Either they are too arrogant to know they are greedy or too ignorant to know. I have had good deals and bad, on this website and others. There are a ton of good people on here, and in the gas and oil collecting community to do business with. There are also some bad ones too and I simply will not do business with them if they have burnt me in the past. This website and it's moderators are 1st class all the way...PERIOD. The people who would contest this are the same people snaking you out of a deal or offering more money for something after it was sold. The whole "if the deal falls through, let me know" is a window for greed to rear it's head. Luckily, a very good percentage of the people on here are 1st class as well.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Originally Posted By: chadrock00
Greed ,ignorance, and arrogance often pass integrity in real life. The whole "if the deal falls through, let me know" is a window for greed to rear it's head. Luckily, a very good percentage of the people on here are 1st class as well.

That was a pretty hard stab in the side, only done this once,and reading others post,I think I won't do it again. After several days it didn't look like the 1st deal was going to happen,as it seemed to be in slow crawl.EXCUSES -EXCUSES. I won't wear the label as snake in the grass,sorry. I did admit I done it in this public forum.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Thu Mar 08 2012 02:31 PM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Over the years I have questioned some of the things Jim or one of the moderators have done, but I have always recieved good reasons for their actions.

They have rules, when we signed on to be a part of this site, we agreed to follow their rules.

I don't believe that questioning the integrity of any of our moderators has any place on this site. I also don't believe Jim is getting rich from the advertisors, because that is about all the income this site provides, and I don't remember being charged a fee to join this group.

Jim,Ryan, etc. keep up the good work.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Jim,Ryan, etc. keep up the good work.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: chadrock00
The whole "if the deal falls through, let me know" is a window for greed to rear it's head.

Couldn't disagree more. If I'm a potential buyer I don't know that the item is sold until you tell me. If I inquire about it and you tell me it's sold there is absolutley nothing wrong with letting you know I have interest if your deal falls through.

And...for the seller it's good to know I've got other people interested if my potential buyer drops out.

Once a deal is struck it would be wrong for somebody else to come in and offer more money to the seller, trying to get him to change his mind...or asking a different buyer if he would give you more money than what it's already sold for.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I'm with ohio oil on this one, the last paragraph pretty much says it for me. Greed is a powerful thing. ;;;;;;;;;Ron

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Ohio Oil- Just to lazy to type all that.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
CAN`T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!.....I GUESS THAT IS A "NO"...BEING A BUSINESS OWNER I ALWAYS WANTED TO PLEASE EVERYONE OF MY CUSTOMERS . AND I DID FOR ABOUT 12 YRS. THEN I SNAPPED AND REALIZED THAT I`M BETTER OFF WITHOUT THE PROBLEM CUSTOMERS AND MY LIFE IS SO MUCH SIMPLER....ALSO THANKS FOR THE SITE JIM .....

Last edited by POLESIGNKID; Sat Mar 10 2012 12:14 PM. Reason: BECAUSE

Cities service, Vickers, Gas and Auto neons, next exit/ ahead signs and now I'm getting into globes....

AKA PARIS HILTON!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Why should we all get along? Each and everyone of us is an individual. We think differently, we have different experiences and we collect differently...... If siblings don't get along at times, if spouses don't get along at times, if best friends don't get along at times.... How can/why should we be any different?

Most of us will never meet..... The older members will have some life experiences that younger members will never have. Some younger members will have life experiences that older members won't have.

Everyone of us has our own standards and definitions of what is "right and wrong" and that includes the definition of Integrity....

I have no problem contacting a seller about an item... I won't step on someone else's deal... I will ask if the seller has another one of the item(s), if I am interested in it.... At times I will contact a seller and ask them to keep an eye peeled for another one of the items... If a deal falls through, I hope that the seller will contact me to see if I am still interested? At times, I have wanted an item enough that I picked up elsewhere. I try to always contact the seller of the first item, to let them know I found said item and I am not in the market for one anymore....

To me these are all acceptable. To someone else they might not be, but I don't care what someone else thinks.... I have to live my life in the terms I feel are correct. I can't, none of us can, live our lives according to someone else's standards....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Well said the last two, been there also. See you at Portland Bob

Craig
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Holy cow Bob, I couldn't have said that better myself.

Other than the comments from 1 person, I feel this is a perfect thread showing that people can have a different opinion and still get along. In other words, just because we disagree doesn't mean we aren't getting along.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have had a post removed by moderators. As I imagine others have had posts removed when they were misinterpreted. And that's ok. I know my intentions were not crude nor meant to cause drama, but I don't have to be 'right' all the time and demand the post be reinstated if a moderator removed it 'cause what I write on these forums does not make the world turn on it's axis. smile I also know some of ya' put your feet in your mouths, but don't we all at one time or another?

It can happen to anyone. It only becomes personal when you make it personal. Life is too short.

BTW Petropumps,if he or she is swayed by the other offers, perhaps they are inexperienced or in need of $$$? I hope the oldgasser comes through for ya with a fair deal.

Last edited by Nicole; Sat Mar 10 2012 06:47 PM.
Originally Posted By: bppierce
Holy cow Bob, I couldn't have said that better myself.

Well said Bob!

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Never have I posted a disparaging, personal remark.
Posts were stopped because the moderator didn't like the content,
pure and simple. Posting comments that please the moderator is not in the rules.

You guys can deceive yourselves further in the belief that this site is useful. Perhaps it is to you. To me, it's a third-rate version of the Kiwanis Club of Altus, Okla.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Steve,
I thought you already retired from this site.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve, you are not even coming close to telling the truth. In fact you are lying! I read what you called KZ1000 and I reported your post... It was removed as we all know. One of the reasons it was removed is because of the name you used to address KZ1000 instead of his membership name......

I do wonder if so many here would post what they do/did if they had to actually face the other person face to face?...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gotta disagree with you Steve. Most members never saw your post "Gulf sign /part 2". I did, and I even responded to it before it was pulled. If adding "KY Jelly" to another members user name, as you did, just because you disagree with them, is not disparaging and personal, I don't know what is. Hopefully the member you disrespected never saw it before it was pulled. I think it is you who are deceiving yourself.

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Steve in New Mex
Never have I posted a disparaging, personal remark.
Posts were stopped because the moderator didn't like the content,
pure and simple. Posting comments that please the moderator is not in the rules.

You guys can deceive yourselves further in the belief that this site is useful. Perhaps it is to you. To me, it's a third-rate version of the Kiwanis Club of Altus, Okla.

You belittle this site yet your still on it?

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Did it ever occur to you that the majority may be right and that the problem lies with you???

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Steve, you are not even coming close to telling the truth. In fact you are lying! I read what you called KZ1000 and I reported your post... It was removed as we all know. One of the reasons it was removed is because of the name you used to address KZ1000 instead of his membership name......

I do wonder if so many here would post what they do/did if they had to actually face the other person face to face?...

Little question for Bob since he preaches integrity and truth....do you think that nasty belittling PM you sent me last weekend was showing integrity? You toned it down with your slam on me on the forum.

This transpired only because I posted actual facts about the subject we were on,and it really seemed to rub Bob the wrong way. I was polite....he was not!

What I see is Steve calls it like he sees it and thus does not have a chance on this site...run Steve run!

I find the site very useful of course, or I would have been long gone like many others who must have decided the usefulness for them had gone away...and they did!(some a couple times smile )

Jim

Last edited by Mr.Wadhams; Wed Mar 14 2012 02:31 PM.

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Come on now, this has gotten way out of hand and away from original meaning again.

Craig
Several posts have been removed. Posts like these are held in a non-public archive that moderators can see in order to determine the history of certain users in breaking the rules.

Please follow the rules about no controversial political statements and no personal attacks. We all don't have to agree, but we should expect honorable civility, tact and respect for one another.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved