Next Thread
Print Thread
#31179 Fri Jun 20 2008 10:52 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Since I do not have a good air compressor yet I cannot use my sandblaster, but instead use muriatic acid to remove rust. I have gotten some criticism for this as people insist that it will cause more rust later. I dip in acid, wash rust and dirt off, acid again and then rinse. The parts are then submerged in water agitated with lime or baking soda overnight. This is now I did my ECO air stand 20 years ago and it has sat outside under a tree the whole time.

There was a rust hole in the front cover I did not have time to weld and finish with lead. Believe it or not, it never rusted further. Does anyone else use acid or is sandblasting the method of choice? I always wondered how you can get to rust behind double panels with a sandblaster.

Antique? It's new to me.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#31180 Fri Jun 20 2008 11:06 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I have never found an efficient way to remove corrosion from aluminum alloys. The newer ECO units seem to corrode as seen on this one I built for my parents home in 1990:

This was a unit that was run over by a car and left in the bushes to rust. I did de-rust and paint the steel components and put another plastic face because the original one was destroyed. If I ever get ambitious I am going to find or make a faceplate and put chrome trim and a light inside. The unit has been functional since 1990 and has received no maintenance other than a yearly water drain. The valve is worn but I put a spring inside as a rig and it has worked beautifully to this day. The base it sits on is a homemade casting that sits on a 4" water pipe.

Antique? It's new to me.
#31181 Fri Jun 20 2008 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have also used acid to remove rust & it does get into areas that a sandblasting can't.
NEVER put aluminum, zinc, pot metal, magnesium, galvanized iron in acid. It will dissolve it.

#31182 Fri Jun 20 2008 05:58 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
So far I have used vinegar to clean aluminum. Is there something better?

Antique? It's new to me.
#31183 Fri Jun 20 2008 06:00 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
So far I have used vinegar to clean aluminum. Is there something better?

Antique? It's new to me.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved