Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Jack Sim #314463 Fri Mar 23 2012 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I joined almost 3 weeks before Jack & my #2033 [Jim Potts Stated oldgas & is #2031]
Of the Regulars;
*99.99% are here because it's a FREE site.
*95+% joined because they had a question to ask.
*95+% Enjoy Collecting.
*25% Gladly enjoy sharing information.
*10% want to know what something is worth, AFTER they bought it.
*1% are members of other sites, but get more/faster answers here.
*1% are here for FREE Value & FOR SALE Forums.
*1% of irregulars will never learn to post their own pictures.
*Less than 100 have GAVE ANYTHING back to OLDGAS!
*Less than .05% after joining want to change how the site is run.
*1/.014 think it's OK to suggest to others how to decorate.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Dick Bennett #314469 Sat Mar 24 2012 01:16 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I think Jim did a fantastic thing by moving questions concerning value to a separate forum. I'm old school and not too fond of the inquiries, so I haven't visited that forum once and have been very happy not having to look at them.

There has been more attention given to "pickers" lately primarily because that occupation has come into the general public's eye through the many reality TV shows. Some people dislike pickers and/or the picker shows just as others see the advantages to pickers or entertainment in the shows. What I do like is that oldgas remains a place for collectors to meet to discuss their opinions on this topic as well as others, such as the recent discussion about ending eBay auctions.

As oldgas' popularity and exposure naturally grows it will of course bring to the site some non petroliana collectors as well as a few "bad apples". Topics come and topics go, but having been on here for almost 5 years I can say that "in my opinion" it really isn't much different now than it was when I started. I enjoyed the site back then and I enjoy it just as much today. I do admit that I watch my words closely so I minimize the openings for those that enjoy finding (and harping on) fault with anything they can. Heck, I have those people at work, on other sites and even in my own family, but "keyboard courage" is a major problem on any site.

bppierce #314479 Sat Mar 24 2012 05:49 AM
S
S
My standard response to any 'what's this worth' question is "Its worth what someone is willing to give and what you are willing to take to part with it".

If you're smart enough to be on the internet, meaning your IQ is at least room temperature or above, you should be able to do a little searching around and find what the item has been listed for or at least a similar item.

Or do the trial and error method...list something for $1000 and if it doesn't sell in a year you're probably too high. If you get 50 guys wanting to buy it within 24 hours you probably didn't ask enough.

Thunder II #314480 Sat Mar 24 2012 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Thunder II
Remember when, this hobby was about our collections, and not about "picking"?

Remember when, we would be looking forward to meeting a fellow Oldgas member on a road trip, or at a show, instead of "making a score"?

Remember when, "For Sale" items had a price?

Remember when, asking for a value, was a breach of etiquette?

Remember when, you could ask a simple question, without it being taken as a "Personal attack"?

Remember when, a member always commented, that "He likes pie"?

Remember when, a post, such as "Post "A" random photo" meant that you only posted ONE photo?

What has become of Oldgas lately? Are we now some sort of TV "Reality show" nightmare?

What ever became of manners, and etiquette?

Unless we change direction, we are destined to end up in the direction that we are headed...

Hey Thunder, THAT is exactly why I ever joined this forum !!!!!!!!!! Now , NOT sooo much.............. Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
eshaver #314485 Sat Mar 24 2012 06:24 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Manners? Go ride a school bus some day and see what the kids learn to say and do. And where do they learn it and by whom? It scares me where this nation is goin,as a whole!

oilmanpat #314488 Sat Mar 24 2012 06:32 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Got that right Pat!

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
gasoildude #314490 Sat Mar 24 2012 06:41 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Remember when we didn't collect plastic signs..........

Terry Flannery #314491 Sat Mar 24 2012 06:46 AM
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Remember when we did not have the value forum? I do and think the site was much better....serious collectors do reaseach and talk with other collectors if they can't figure something out.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
57tbirdkid #314500 Sat Mar 24 2012 07:01 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Remember when the message boards were blue?

I still haven't adjusted to the tan color of these boards...

Time marches on... I mainly miss the old time posters like T Bone, Rex, Poor Mans Museum etc. Pickers before "pickers"...

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
DCpate #314501 Sat Mar 24 2012 07:10 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I'm number 8647 woo!!! I am guilty of a value question and asking paint codes! I have also posted more than a random photo or two. I mostly keep to myself and try to absorb the knowledge on here as much as I can without posting. I do enjoy this site and hope to be able to give back to it one of these days.

57tbirdkid #314503 Sat Mar 24 2012 07:19 AM
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Nice topic! I'm newer to this site and have learned a whole lot and wouldn't have 1/2 of my collection if it wasn't for oldgas and it's members. I don't like "pickers" trying to make a buck. If they were friends or collectors they wouldn't be asking the value. They'd be passing on the deal to other collectors or working out trades. I've learned from experience that those people will never be your friend or be someone who will help you or be honest ever. If you aren't into it cause it's what you love and are inspired about the history and beauty of an item than just leave it there for someone who cares. This hobby has lots of drama free honest individuals that will be there for you for anything. I mean it's hard to even find true friends that you've had for 20 years that you could ask to go pick up a load of pumps for ya and haul em home and unload em and store em for ya till you can retrieve em. On here there are those people. And not only just get em home and unload em..... Get em up check em out, clean em up, put on some missing pieces that they had laying around without even saying you're gonna owe me! There isn't people like that around anymore. Respect, honesty, loyalty, friendships, fun. That's what it's all about! If anyone needs a hand I'm always here to lend it. If you see something that you don't agree with or don't like just ignore it and it will go away. And the people who disrespect or only here to ask value or sell their stuff for a profit an know nothing will all go away. They never stay if you don't talk to em. And even if they do sell a couple of things and rub a few people wrong they will get bored of the site cause they aren't interested in the first place. So just let em come and let em go and have a good time on here with the true friends and collectors that make this hobby great! Thanks for listening and thanks to Jim for the site!

publicenemy1925 #314506 Sat Mar 24 2012 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I view this place as one of the best places to be today on the entire web,for every single reason Thunder II listed.
It is a melting pot of every walk of life,personality & character.
It's good grass roots & very diverse,in both good & bad.
Nearly every person here gleans what they have seen,heard or experienced in their time.
Sure the people here are not always conformed,perfect,and sometimes not pretty or well mannered,but then neither are the people in the world today,and that's why this place is so authentic.
It's not trying to be something it isn't,or make you believe it is.
..it's just right. smile

Notchcad #314513 Sat Mar 24 2012 07:45 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
GUESS I WON'T ASK A VALUE QUESTION AGAIN OR POST MORE THAN ONE PICTURE. THOUGHT THAT WAS WHAT THE VALUE SECTION WAS FOR. SURE GLAD THAT THERE ARE RULES THAT WE SHOULD ALL FOLLOW THAT ARE SPELLED OUT. I DO NOT POST ANYMORE PICTURES OF RESTORED PUMPS ON HERE BECAUSE OF THE CRITICS THAT DO NOT LIKE THE WAY ITS DONE. THE ONLY POSTS THAT DO WELL OR GET ALOT OF RESPONSE ARE ONES LIKE THIS THAT CRITICIZE EITHER SOMEONE ELSE OR SOMETHING SOMEONE ASK. I PROBABLY SHOULD JUST GO AWAY LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE I KNOW UP HERE IN THE NORTHWEST THAT ARE TIRED OF THE THINGS SAID ON HERE. THE SITE IS RUN WELL AND IS VERY HELPFUL, BUT THE PETTY THINGS JUST MAKE IT TOUGH. SERIOUS COLLECTORS TALK AMONGST THEMSELVES AND ASK VALUE QUESTION, WHAT ARE WE ON HERE? DOING IT THIRTY YEARS IN GAS AND OIL AND LEARNED ALOT MORE ON HERE THAN ANYWHERE ELSE.
I AM SURE SOMEONE WILL BE OFFENDED BY THIS, BUT IT IS JUST WHAT IS HEARD WHEN COLLECTORS TALK ABOUT OLD GASUP HERE.

Craig
TheRoyalCrown #314517 Sat Mar 24 2012 07:50 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: LApicker
Isn't he essentially picking still? I don't try to get steals. Infact later this week in meeting someone with a large clock collection. With me being a college student, I dont know what I'll be able to afford and not afford. I will pay a fair price, and you will probably see them for sale here. I'm not gonna bull ***** you. I'm new to the collecting scene but I'm no amateur at making money the hard way. I would say atleast half of the people on this site that I see post alot always criticize people. If you want to straighten this site out we need to start from the top down. Lead by example.
lapicker~I think you need to be a little more thoughtful of your insinuations. Believe me I would like to say more to you on this because I personally find it offensive~ but I have thick skin and will lead by example and take the high road. Jim Potts is the top here and I believe him to be a great example of what a "COLLECTOR" should be. ThunderII, db,and Jack Sim are RIGHT on the money.
Notchcad drives it home, so until you go away I will excercize the "block" feature till you do. smile

Last edited by Garage-A-GoGo; Sat Mar 24 2012 08:07 AM. Reason: add little friendly face
Craig Osbeck #314520 Sat Mar 24 2012 07:53 AM
C
C
I remember when we had no inernet. So i'm just thankful with what we have now. I like the value section it's great see alot of stuff on there. It's just going to keep getting bigger so ya might as well climb on board or ya gonna miss the train.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved