Next Thread
Print Thread
#314465 Fri Mar 23 2012 11:26 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
I enjoy going through the Archives of old gas back when you guys and gals did "oil company of the month", and somebody would do a write up on the history of sinclair, or texaco ect. How come that doesnt happen anymore? ive only found a few of the posts. if you can help me with a few links to those topics it would be greatly appreciated.
I think it would be great if they were in the "best of section". Knowing the history is one of the best parts of the collection, i think. thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Serialist #314467 Fri Mar 23 2012 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here ya go Damon... Its a little thing that I did about CHEVRON

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=81688#Post81688

But to answer your question, I think one has to look at another recent post.

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=314435#Post314435

Recent happenings here at Oldgas, seem to be all about values and sales. It seems that little has to do with the hobby in general. There is a certain commraderie (sp?) here, of the older members, that has recently been polluted and contaminated by "pickers"... These people, ask an opinion, then get offended by an honest answer. They get offensive, and defensive, to the answers that they seek. Because of this, a lot of the vetran (sp?) members, have either left, or just dont participate much any more. The dickering, and bickering, is just annoying...

Then there are those, who choose to use Oldgas as their own personal "photo blog" or "personal page", and bore us with their trivial dribble about their morning walks or whatever... Some member even post in CAPITALS, special fonts, or even colors, all of which is very irritating.

All of this has caused a lot of members, to no longer participate, or at the least, limit their participation here.

There were many "Of the Month" threads here at one time, but with all the negativity here now, who wants to contribute?

We had a thread here, about Colorado Oil Companies. I posted a few pics, only to have them stolen by "picture pirates"... So I no longer post many pictures... See Paddys recent post. http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=314342#Post314342

The brotherhood is dead! Oh, there are some who will deny this, but there are more who would defend this... IF, they were here with us still...

Some of us hang out here, just because we LOVE the hobby. Some of us hang out here, just because we hope that things will return to what this all was, just a few short years ago...

This comment is my own opinion, and not that of the Administrator, Moderators, Watchdogs, or other members. Though I bet a lot of members agree... smile

Last edited by Thunder II; Sat Mar 24 2012 12:01 AM. Reason: Its that smiley face thing again....

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Thunder II #314470 Sat Mar 24 2012 01:20 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Perfect thanks alot.

I havent been in the hobby long, but i can totally understand your views. I live by an old station and would always walk by and see the owners old pumps inside, and decided to talk to him about them. then i wanted to know the history of the station and went to the library and looked up the building history. found out it was a richfield and looked up other old stations in town and got hooked.
None of my friends collect, and even think its a little strange. however we all collect vinyl records. save up and go on road trips to find all the rare 60s garage bands-{im young, but thats the music i like. wasnt alive then} records in the city. then you start running into bootleg records and represses of the old records, which ruins the hunt.-thanks to the internet. just like you see in this hobby, fake signs,globes ect. and the ones who could afford the expensive records, not because they loved the band, but for a status symbol.
i think like any other hobby, the ones who love it will always be in it through the ups and downs. the pickers show trend will die off and so will the guys on the bandwagon. americans have short attention spans these days, and will find something else to entertain themselves/make a buck on. not attacking anyone, just how i see it.

-damon

Serialist #314482 Sat Mar 24 2012 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thunder your comments are spot on in both of your recent post. I wish we could get some of the old members back and posting again. I understand there frustration though when you post a picture and someone then takes it as there own or they get belittled for no reason. Maybe some day company of the month and maybe oil can of the month will be back. There still many of us on this site that love the history of this stuff and enjoy the friendships that have been made from this site.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #314512 Sat Mar 24 2012 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thunder, I couldn't agree more.
Remember picture posting wasn't easy to do 8 or 10 years ago and we had more pictures of killer stuff. Then comes the repop junk and all the cool stuff quit getting posted.
I know the word pickers is used a lot... there are many pickers that are good at what they do and don't ask 100 questions about what something is worth or did i get a good buy.
Going to an auction and buying an item then thinking your going to go and sell it and make money isn't always going to happen. Many collectors watch auctions and will pay good money for an item they want. Been to auctions and see items bring more than it was worth because someone wanted it!

This hobby is like rome! Most everyone can't build a collection or learn value over night.
I have been collecting for over 12 years... i don't know values on signs at all! I know some on pumps but know more on globes and gas pump salt pepper shakers. Even sometimes i get get stumped.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved