Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#325203 Fri May 11 2012 09:58 AM
J
Jordan Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi all,

I am looking for my first gas pump (or two) to restore. I found a few locally that I am considering. I wanted to see if people can give me an idea of what these are worth in their present condition and fully restored, so I can figure out which is worth picking up. Also if anyone has any additional info on the first two, and possibly pictures of how those look when restored.

1) Gilbarco. Looks like it needs a lot of work. But seems largely complete.

2) Gilbert & Barker. The big yellow one. Looks like its in the best condition. Missing the meter cover (not sure the right term), and the back glass cover.

3) National A38. Looks pretty cool, but missing the top and has some rust.

Also, I know this is highly debated, but if I gut them will it reduce the value? I am just planning to restore and keep in my office, so wouldn't mind removing some weight.

Secondly, #2 has a big glass area, so one idea was to convert it to a candy dispenser for the nephews to enjoy. I am sure this is shunned upon by enthusiasts, but has anyone seen this kind of thing done (as opposed to a replica)?

Thanks!

Last edited by Jordan; Fri May 11 2012 10:07 AM.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That yellow one is a perfect candidate to turn into a display shelf pump

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Those Gilbarco's from the 60's (Yellow one) fetch about 500.00 when complete. I just passed a double (or twin model) that was in nicer condition offered to me at 1500.00 as they aren't high on some peoples radar for style. The others look pretty rough from the pictures so I wouldn't jump on them to quickly. Most everybody strips the pumps out. For one they stink because of residual fluid in the pumps, and also because they weigh a lot with that old pump inside.

A good complete electric pump from the 40's through 60's is what you probably want. Visibles or Clock Face pumps are from the earlier periods and are quite often a lot more money. Un-restored electric pumps with everything there and not rotted out or rusted through can be bought in the 500.00 to 1000.00 range, with the sought after pumps sometimes going as high as 1500.00 in nice original condition. Restored they can be double or triple that depending on the quality of the restoration and the model of pump.

Popular pump series from that Era include the following makes and models.

Tokeheim 39 or 300 (tall or short)
Gilbarco 96 or 900 (tall or short)
Bennett 100, 700 or 900/1000 (short pumps)
Bennett 541 Tall (tombstone style)
Wayne 60 or 70 (tall pumps including wide bodies)
Martin Schwartz 80 (short)
National A38 or A62 (tall or short)

There are many other models and you should look at your cost to buy, cost to restore, and final value before jumping on something. Pick a style of pump that suits your liking and then go hunting. Some good information for restoration parts and models can be found by visiting www.vics66.com

If you Google any of the above models and search the images tab, you'll get dozens of pictures so you can see what they look like once branded. The beauty is that a pump can have almost any brand you want on it. Esso, Texaco, Shell, Mobil, B/A etc etc. Just paint them the right color for that brand and put a decal, porcelain sign and a globe on it and away you go. Many parts like the hoses, handles, body trim, glass and signs can be purchased through restoration suppliers or by hanging around the forums looking for nice original parts. Happy hunting.

Hope that helps you.

Last edited by GasCan; Fri May 11 2012 12:02 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
In your pictures, the top one (Red) is a Gilbarco 96 circa 1938 to 1947. The Yellow Gilbarco appears to be a Canadian 1006 and were often used for Shell. They're usually in decent shape because of their young age but aren't highly collectible as stated earlier. The last one you have there (Green) is a National A38 and looks rotted at the base. I'd keep looking because there are still a lot of nice pumps out there. If you're in Cali, why not search Craiglist in the area, or call Cynthia and see what she has for pumps. She's always got stuff for sale. http://thepickerchick.com/

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Buy what you like don't worry about the value

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Online Cool
You don't tell us what they are asking for these pumps. The A38 needs some parts and rust work, but it'll be worth the most in the end.
Always consider missing parts in your purchase price. The red Gilbarco needs a bunch of trim. Check out replacement prices at ThePumpDump.com or other vendors to see how much the replacements will be. It can be easy to double your actual pump cost by having to find a bunch of parts with shipping.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Depending on the price I would take the A38 no questions asked. It looks pretty much complete and the top is no big deal. The rust on the lower part of the skins would be the biggest deal. The A38 is the most valuable now and also when done. I would take the A38 and just clean it up and complete the top and leave it as is. Maybe throw a decal on it.

Last edited by keithia; Fri May 11 2012 12:34 PM.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Yes, be sure that there aren't too many parts missing. I thought I was jumping on a great deal only to find that it was missing a whole bunch of parts. Individually, each piece is under $80, but they add up real quick. I ended up needing about $900 in parts that were missing. Luckily, what I bought already had the body work and paint done and the more expensive pieces were there. So, I come out okay at spending $1,300 all together although way out of budget. I'd say, do your homework and research what you are looking to get. You're starting out good by asking your questions here. Especially if you're just starting out like me.

Consider getting Jack Sim's book. That is a great resource, too.

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
National A 38, great pump when restored.

Thanks, Phil
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
A38 is a pretty pump. Worth the effort. Others I wouldn't spend the time to even windex much less load In the truck!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A lot of guys dont know there are tons of pictures right here on OLDGAS (under "Picture" at top of page) Of many pumps, restored and unrestored. Hope this link works. http://www.gaspumps.info/gallery/main.php

Whats he want for the National? (The green one)

Last edited by JimT; Sat May 12 2012 04:21 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The A 38 is the best of the three by far. As everyone has said the other two have little value as is or restored.

As Jim suggested go to the picture page on Old Gas and pick out a style that you really like, then do your home work on the prices and values. After that then go on the hunt. You will know when you find the right pump.

Use caution, when you say 1 or 2 pumps that usually ends up being 10-15 pumps they are addicting. LOL

Good luck in your search

Looking for anything JENNEY OIL OR GAS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Jordan, I just sent you a PM click on the blinking envelope at the top of this page.

Looking for anything JENNEY OIL OR GAS
J
Jordan Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the responses everyone. The red guy was 500 obo. The yellow was 300 obo and the a38 was 350 firm.

In the end i picked up the yellow one for $200. I like the a38 better, but fogure the yellow guy is mostly complete so would make a better first project to get my feet wet. Also something about the huge window makes it seem pretty unique.

With that said, would 350 for the a38 in that condition be a good buy?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The A38 was the best buy for sure!! That is cheap!! GO GET IT.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved