Page 1 of 2 1 2
#33311 Sat Jan 28 2006 04:12 PM
H
hotcidr Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
H
Boy oh boy. Some good buys on signs today, except for the Willys sign I wanted SO badly. I don't collect globes however some of those prices looked very good as well. Onc never knows what to expect at an auction. Anyway...if anyone runs across one of the Willys Service signs I am willing to pay a strong price. I was right behind the winning bidder who was on site.
Ray Seider

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#33312 Sat Jan 28 2006 05:30 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Good stuff brought strong money, ok stuff brought ok money. As expected, the dealership stuff went nuts, the picture globes also. I watched most of the day. $6000 for the Dodge Trucks sign seemed overly strong. The Willys Overland Ray is referring to brought like $3500, which is pretty high. I sold one in the same condition two years ago for $1300. But I'd only given $675 for it, so, oh well.

#33313 Sat Jan 28 2006 09:23 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I thought that some of the prices were pretty good...there were some good deals to be had....lots of fun!!!

#33314 Sun Jan 29 2006 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have never been to a auction like this, do the prices always make sense or does it vary on who is there?

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#33315 Sun Jan 29 2006 01:07 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Maybe this should be a new topic,and no harm intended here and I hope everyone had a blast this weekend but I am trying to understand how this Aumann auction thing works.What is the buyers premium for?Every gas collector that I talk to thinks that this is a gigantic ripoff.Isnt the owner of the items already paying a percentage of the money collected.If I understand everything correct,arent they making double money???? I think this takes away from guys trying to buy more things.Can someone explain this?

------------------

#33316 Sun Jan 29 2006 07:11 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Steve...this topic has been cussed & discussed at length. And granted, my sale is completely different in that the items for sale are only about 20% mine, and I am not an auctioneer, so I am hiring an auctioneer. So in my sale, I am the promotor and they are the auctioneer. In my auction, the sellers commission is intended to cover the cost of hiring the auction house, hiring 10 extra to people to work for a week, renting a facility, renting porta-potties, bringing in 3 phone lines for bidspotter, hiring a private security guard (24 hours a day for 3 days), and credit card processing fees (3% and everybody pays with credit cards!). That is just what I can think of off the top of my head. The seller's commission will cover this in some years, and in some years it won't. The buyer's premium, for me, was brought about to cover the cost of advertising only. I spent $5000 for print advertising (PCM CTO ANTIQUE WEEK, ETC) for this years auction. I also printed 30,000 6 page color brochures ($7500) and mailed them first class (23,300 for .39 = $9000). So there is $21,500 in advertising that would otherwise not have been covered by the seller's commission. That is why I enacted a buyer's premium. These are real numbers, not fantasy. I've done this for 9 straight years and without the buyer's premium, I coudn't do the sale. NOW, if the merchandise were all mine, it might be a different story.

Every time I am on the buy side of an auction, yes, the buyer's premium is no fun. But I can assure you, without it, a sale like mine would cease. I am not speaking for Aumann nor do I have any idea what their system or costs are. This is just my explanation of why I have to charge a buyer's premium. I have my auction for 2 reasons, 1. to sell a bunch of pumps at once and 2. to bring new customers into my shop for a weekend. It's NOT because there is big money to be made off the promotion-side of an auction.

[This message has been edited by Seth Robbins (edited 01-29-2006).]

#33317 Sun Jan 29 2006 08:29 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Seth,

Sent you a couple of email but haven't heard from you, not sure if you received them.
Glenn

#33318 Sun Jan 29 2006 08:30 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
The e-mail attached to oldgas, goes to my shop, I will see them monday morning. You can reforward to robbins61@cox.net. Seth

#33319 Sun Jan 29 2006 08:43 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Seth, email is on the way.

#33320 Sun Jan 29 2006 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow, Have been following this auction the past couple of days. I thought some items were very reasonable. Some of the premium items brought what was expected I am sure. I see that Crown globe sold for $10,000 and a couple of others weren't too far behind.

I also thought the gas pumps went very reasonably. I liked the visible Sunoco for $1400.

As far as auction premiums go, some do charge a buyers premium, if they do they usually don't charge the sellers or cosigners as much. Around here auctioneers get 30% commission. Sometimes they charge the seller 20% and a buyers prem. of 10%. Good for the sellers. I guess the auction houses think they will attract better items this way. I don't like paying an extra 10% as a buyer but I just have to figure that into my bid, so it will actually lower what I will bid in the end. Some auction places just charge the sellers 30% and no buyers premium. Internet bidding usually has a higher premium because of all the costs involved, but it allows buyers a chance to bid at auctions we can't go to.

Auctioneers have a lot of costs to cover. Advertising, web site maintenience, employees, rent, electric, etc...People don't realize how much work goes into organizing and cataloging a auction.

Each auction house is a liitle different. Obviously your higher end auction houses have a lot more resources than a little local "Saturday Night" auction house and the costs are reflected. I can't imagine Rex going with one of these smaller outfits. Aumann costs more but look at the exposure they generate....we can actually follow Rex's auction as it unfolds. How cool is that! That costs Aumann some money to do.

It all works out in the end. I hope Mr. Benson was happy with everything. Hopefully we will be able to read his thoughts on all this.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

#33321 Sun Jan 29 2006 11:48 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Great post 59Fairlane.....my sellers commission and buyer's premium are less than 25% combined. Most auctioneers in this part of the country charge 20% to the seller than they (the seller) pay all the expenses too, (advertising, rental, etc) so I'm sure they equal your 30%.

#33322 Sun Jan 29 2006 12:36 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I notice that on Rex's/Aumann auction that there is less notations of "condition rating 1-10" in the item descriptions. I know this rating is subjective, although sometimes the pictures don't always due the piece justice. I wish Aumann would put additional pics of each item to help the online bidder.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not beating up on anyone, just stating an opinion base on my observation. I am a happy customer of both the Aumann auctions and Vic's 66 and think they do a good job.

Anyone have an opinion on why the grading of items is appearing less?

Regards,
Kim

------------------

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters
#33323 Sun Jan 29 2006 01:04 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Great topic....this year we are going to try and put as high quality of pictures as the system will allow of both sides of each item (if it's double-sided). Grading is a tough one, because one guys' 9 is another guys' 8, one guy's mint is another guys' 9. Pics sometimes don't do items the justice they deserve and sometimes pictures don't show all the flaws. My suggestion would be, if you are in doubt, call in the week before. Case in point....I bought a Conoco sign at an auction in Texas last fall that was advertised as a '9' on the internet. When I got it it was about 35% poorly touched up. I called in not so much to complain, but rather to see who's '9' this was, and they told me it displayed like a '9', which is kinda true, I guess. I would've rather them not put a grade on it so maybe my expectations wouldn't have been so high.

#33324 Sun Jan 29 2006 02:37 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
What was up with that Tokheim visible done in Sunoco that went for $1400? And they had to work to get THAT. Did it have an acrylic cylinder and lousy paint job?

I thought that was a bit too cheap, or am I wrong? Shouldn't it have brought more in the neighborhood of 2700-3000 dollars at least?

Does this indicate pump values have peaked and are going soft?? You can sink 1400 bucks into a pump just in restoration costs alone if you do it right....... What do you guys say that were at the sale...I was home on the computer....

#33325 Sun Jan 29 2006 06:49 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Midway, The Tokheim pump was very nicely restored. The paint looked awesome. I dont know if it was acrylic or glass but I know the top was fiberglass. I think it was a great buy at $1400. It seems the buyers were after globes and signs at this auction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved