Hi,

New to the forum and have seen a few posts on old PAM and "double bubble" clocks, but they didn't quite meet my needs.

I've already got a line in with Wayne at www.waynesneonclocks.com and Shirley has already been very helpful. So they may be able to help me as well once they can get back to me.

But, here's what I've got...

We have a typical lighted double bubble clock, "Pine State Dairy", probably 1960s vintage or so. It had already been worked on by someone in the past and so it had numerous issues. After taking care of the mechanical and cosmetic issues, the final problem I'm facing has to do with the outside aluminum retaining/trim ring that holds the outside glass "bubble" to the steel case.

I have two problems:

1) The ring has a significant dent on the edge around the 12 o'clock position. I tried to dolly the dent out, but it just doesn't look good. It is passable and fits fine even with the dent. But if someone has an original ring from a double bubble parts clock that they would like to sell, please let me know. I'm not interested in the new rings as I've been told they use a bent tab instead of the small screw for closure.

2) This may be hard to explain: But when I sit the outside glass bubble in its indentation in the rim of the case, and then fit and tighten the trim ring, I end up with a notable gap between the surface of the glass and the underside of the ring. The gap is about 1/16", so the outer glass moves around freely. The glass can't fall out, but it isn't held securely, and of course when lit there is a visible gap under the ring where it doesn't meet the glass. I've seen many photos of other double bubble clocks and all the trim rings I've seen are up against the surface of the outer glass, holding it securely in place. My ring doesn't appear to have been "spread open" as the gap is very consistent, so I'm somewhat wondering if there were different rings for different vintages of these clocks and someone cobbled ours together. They clearly did work on it as the glass was glued-in with silicone, not very successfully I might add. What a mess too.

Now I can put a large o-ring, vinyl or felt spacers under this trim ring and it will hold the glass. But doing so makes it look unoriginal and cobbled together in my opinion.

So, I guess I'm wondering if I'm missing some piece, such as a spacer for the trim ring or glass itself(perhaps behind the case or between it and the glass), my trim ring is bent or there may be another size, or ??

And again, I am actually hoping to eventually find a replacement original trim ring altogether since mine is dented.

Sorry for the length, but was trying to be thorough. I'm just stymied why this ring won't accurately fit.

Thanks!

Al

Last edited by roethlisberger; Mon Jun 18 2012 11:35 AM. Reason: Error correction.