Print Thread
#338661 Tue Jul 03 2012 03:57 PM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
Hello,

I am looking to restore a gas pump and would like to know how it is done right. Can you guys help me find one, and tell me how to restore one.

Thanks

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Suggest you buy Benjamin & Henderson's Guide To Gas Pump Restoration.
Oldgas Bookstore; http://www.gaspumps.info/
[Top left corner in 3rd screen]

C
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
C
There is many many ways that pumps are done. It is up to you to decide how far you would like your pump to go. Many people even get intricate on the insides even though no one will see this. Big thing is and I know this is up to individuals, gas pump is a paint job, and detail work. Look up Cheeseman up in Michigan and look at some of the restoration that he had either done or had done. Talk to him and others up there, good starting point. Many good restorers up there.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
frankpl also does Fantastic Work, his restored pumps are in the West Coast largest collections.

Restorations can be as simple as; AS FOUND to Rat Rod to Barret Jackson's Over the Top.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It took me a while to find it but here's an article by Thunder restoring a AO Smith L3. This was done in 2006 but the basics are still the same. http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001409.html

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Take that leap of faith and go get a pump. Once you have it, we will help you along your journey.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Funny, back in 1985 when I was restoring my first pump I just took it apart, started sanding, painted it and put it back together. No book, nobody to ask, didn't even take pictures, just went to work.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just go for it. Dive in head first then ask us for advice if you have any problems. Have fun with it, their are no rules!

Rob

Showcase Feature Host
Showcase Feature Host
If you post a photo of your pump you going to restore that might help with some members advice they give you. Depending on the pump some may tell you it looks great the way it is. My first gas pump resto got a base coat clear coat paint job and looks better than new. Since then I have bought several more and leave about half unrestored because of the wonderful patina. PCM's guide to gas pump restoration book will give you some good ideas on paint scheme's that would be correct for the era of the pump and branding. Either way you decide to go just have fun with it.

Last edited by Big Block Cat; Thu Jul 05 2012 05:27 AM.

Wanted anything Flying A Gas, Signal Gas, Hancock oil co, and Sunland.

Thanks Anthony
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Like Jack, I took it apart and using common sense, did the restoration. Not much to it if you are mechanically able? If you are not....buy the book. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved