Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3388 Sun Feb 15 2004 09:38 AM
M
markus Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have an opportunity to buy an old chest type coke machine very cheap, it has been painted at a bodyshop, the paint looks great, the only problem is they painted over the embossed white coca cola letters, the whole thing is red. My question is What is the best way to paint the letters back to white? Is there a template your can purchase, or will I have to try and tape around the letters, which seems very difficult. any advice would be apreciated.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#3389 Sun Feb 15 2004 10:05 AM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
The best way is to hire a professional sign painter or pinstriper and do it by hand. Gives the best results and the least hassle. Good luck.

#3390 Sun Feb 15 2004 11:04 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
You can buy a vinyl letter kit from FUNTRONICS if you want to do it yourself.
Last time i checked (1 year ago) the kit price was $90.00.
More info go to: http://www.sodadecals.com/funtronics.htm

#3391 Sun Feb 15 2004 01:24 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Marcus, Thanks for asking the question that I have been needing an answer. I too have a coke chest machine I will be restoring for display in my replicated gas station. I have seen these decals and was wondering how well they worked. One bodyman told me to paint the letters white then spray the red over the top and then lightly sand the embossed letters to expose the white.
Good luck, Jeff

#3392 Sun Feb 15 2004 02:00 PM
D
D
press over letters with self adhesive shelf paper,using high speed air sander go over embossed letters, leaves only letters exposed and ready to paint, sounds too simple but is used by most professional coke machine restorers.

#3393 Sun Feb 15 2004 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey neighbor... give me a shout or e-mail me your number and i will give you a shout. I like to get to know old gas buddies near me. John

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#3394 Sun Feb 15 2004 06:53 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Use the Funtronics decals,peel and stick on,nuttin to it.

#3395 Sun Feb 15 2004 10:58 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
dsmith that is a killer idea!!!!! I LIKE IT!!!

I do some sign painting, pinstriping around here & i did the logo on a 7up chest machine awhile ago!

KIND OF A PAIN IN THE REAR!!!!!!!!

#3396 Mon Feb 16 2004 09:25 AM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
the BEST way to have this done is to have it silkscreened. Its also very expensive to have one screen made and hard to find someone to copy a Coke emblem without getting the trademark lecture. But for looks you cant beat it. Its how they were done originally(not with stencils)

Its by far the most difficult portion of Coke machine restoration and the focal point if done badly!

#3397 Mon Feb 16 2004 10:23 AM
D
D
The way it was done at the factory was with a soft rubber roller and paint the right consistancy and merely rolled on. Dont waste your time trying this method, I have tried it a thousand times with spare parts and never got it to turn out right. Previous response was entirely correct, you can have a thousand dollar paint job and if the letters are not perfect it looks like **** .

#3398 Mon Feb 16 2004 04:59 PM
R
R
Hey Markus.....

I have an old coke machine (1947) Art Deco

and i have been wondering how to paint the white letters.....
A friend told me about a sign painter....

He took Two hours and it was done and it looks greattttttttt.
Take this advice and you will not regret it
Rod...

#3399 Mon Feb 16 2004 07:57 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Being a former sign painter, I would going with the sign painter idea. [ not intended to be a plug] The other ideas sound ok, but, leave a lot of room for a goof up. If you try one of the suggestions, try on a practice item first. ie. an old license plate. But I suggest checking the phone book under sign shops and check with the smaller shops and explain your situation. Keep in mind that the sign business, like everything else has gone computerized and finding a honest to goodness sign painter might not be too easy, but we are still around.
Rod [Mich.]

------------------
rod

ROD [Mich.]
#3400 Tue Feb 17 2004 01:23 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
markus,
The rubber roller that dsmith was talking about is a "brayer". If you decide to try it yourself, you can find them at art supply stores. They come in various sizes and are mostly used to ink block stencils. I used a 5" one to do the letters on my coke cooler box, and they looked as good as the originals.
Good luck,
Ed

#3401 Tue Feb 17 2004 09:17 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Thanks Rust collector I would like to try that.

There is something about using a modern (that wasnt invented when it was made) process on an old item and then calling it a good restoration, that really doesnt sit right with me!!

Now I realize that not everyone can do the lettering or find a signpainter willing to do it for them (I would love to see that getting done)..but to run vinyl letters on an old box and call it perfect is funny .. more like new letters on an old box.

Powder coat.. sure its easy but if you use it dont call it a perfect restoration.. durable yes..correct ..no

dodogas

#3402 Tue Feb 17 2004 09:40 AM
B
B
Sounds to me like the auto body shop did the paint job backwards! Best tip I ever received (and worked great) is to paint the machine letters or embossing the color desired, put it on thick over the letters and embossing. Let this dry and cure. Now paint your entire cooler the color desired, painting over the color you just applied to your letters or embossing. Again let this completely cure. After everything has cured, wet sand your embossing until you have your desired results, buff and wax and you have your paint scheme!

Classic Car Community
http://www.oldride.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved