Next Thread
Print Thread
#340750 Wed Jul 11 2012 06:12 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
I recently bought this Hickman Ebbert Wagon sign. It is a self framed tin lithograph. Sadly the frame has been painted twice (a blue then a burgandy). The original frame should be black with a gold line around it. Anybody know how to SAFELY remove this paint? It is probably lead based as the lady said it has been more than 25 plus years since it was painted and they quit making lead based paint in 77 or 78.

Thanks!
Brandon

owensboro wagon.jpg

Brandon Ferguson
Central City, KY
Farm Related Advertising
bwfergus #340751 Wed Jul 11 2012 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brandon, when I remove paint from furniture... I use the same techniques that were discussed in this thread from earlier...

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=340614#Post340614

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
bwfergus #340753 Wed Jul 11 2012 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Have you considered having someone over paint it in the correct colors? Much easier and probably much safer (if sanding is involved) than trying to strip it.

I would contact a local (or with the internet) sorta local small museum. One of their curators may tell you who to contact for information on how or if it's even practical, to remove the paint.

BTW For painting on canvas, I use lead based paints for doing my historical portraits. The lead in lead white and naples yellow makes the paint stiff and quick drying with leads to a quicker build up of paint, to help get that 3-D look. And yes in 100 years it will yellow, which is why I don't use that white for contemporary paintings.

Mind you I'm not eating it, not fingerpainting, and not sanding it down... shocked Don't get me started on some of the other toxic pigments.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I think your saying the frame is metal? Sure looks like wood to me. If you can't take the sign out you could allways sand lightly and repaint black and gold. I wouldn't try to remove paint with sign in frame.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Nicole #340755 Wed Jul 11 2012 06:28 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Nicole,
I would paint over it, but it has a small bit of advertising on the frame that I would like to save if possible, and it would be a pain in the butt to reproduce it!

Bob: I will try that!

Brandon Ferguson
Central City, KY
Farm Related Advertising

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved