Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would hope that no one in the hobby. Feels that they are knowledgeable enough or have power enough to decide for others, what is ethical and not ethical?

That has always been an individual thought process. What may be ethical to one is not necessarily ethical to all....

If one doesn't like the idea of asking a Seller to end an auction early, then don't do it.... If you are comfortable with asking, then do it.... Neither is right, neither is wrong...

Stealing from the Seller would be wrong.... But, offering and paying a honest price for an item is NOT WRONG....

One may not like that the Seller took the offer....

But the last I checked, unless you are the one who owns the actual item(s). Then you have no say so in what another person does with THEIR own ITEMS!!!!!!!

When I was a very young man I thought every thing in life was "black and white", right and wrong....

I then went to war, where nothing was "black and white"... Everything from then on has had a million shades of grey in it...

Life is made up of a million decisions that are all steeped in grey... Ask anyone who has been through a Tornado that wiped out a neighbor but didn't touch them or the other way around... A parent that has lost a child. A combat vet...... So on and so forth....

Last edited by Bob Richards; Wed Jul 04 2012 02:36 PM.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well said Bob! I always say when it comes to ebay don't hate the player hate the game.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Concerning the auctions or more specifically the seller that DWsheffer initial post is about, something doesn't smell right. I find it hard to believe that an adult is going to take his ball and go home because he doesn't like a few e-mails of offer to end the auction early. I'll bet dollars to donuts that he accepted an offer and made up that story to avoid the aftermath.

If I were a seller that took offense to these offers, I would have a little fun and post the request in the "questions and answers about this item" showing the persons eBay i.d.. I'd bet not a lot off offers to end it early would come in after that.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: bustermonty
Well said Bob! I always say when it comes to ebay don't hate the player hate the game.

My thoughts Exactly!!!!

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob, I started my post by stating "How I see it and how I roll. Not passing judgement on anyone."

Obliviously you failed to read that or simply chose to ignore it. Because it's your opening sentence that I find overbearingly assuming and ill informed.

Your sentence read "I would hope that no one in the hobby. Feels that they are knowledgeable enough or have power enough to decide for others, what is ethical and not ethical?"

Read my post I'm not deciding anything for anyone. I'm entitled to an opinion based on my life experience and I expressed it. I realize that your life experiences are different then mine and therefore have taught you differently.

In my opinion your logic is flawed and self serving.

Seller lists his item, auction style. Everyone else is playing by the rules i.e. patiently waiting to bid or are bidding. It's wrong for anyone to make a BIN offer and corrupt and derail the process. BIN offer is not a honest offer. Only reason one makes the offer is because they don't want to compete with everyone and have to pay full price. They are screwing the seller out of money and the other bidders out of a fair auction. They are not doing the seller a favor or looking out for their best interests. In fact, they are only looking out for themselves and are in the pursuit of their on best interests. It's a very selfish act and puts everyone else who is following the rules at a disadvantage.

You can sell it to yourself however you like. But, I'm not buying it! Fact remains, it wasn't a level playing field. In other words BIN offers are a form of cheating.

For me life is black and white. Right is right. Wrong is wrong. Cheating is wrong! It's not a grey area for me.

Anyways, enough said. I don't think neither one is trying to convince the other. In the end, we may simply have to agree to disagree. Having said that, I'm not posting anymore on this thread. Irregardless of what you may or may not post.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave, you are correct. We do view this subject differently...

In the grand scheme of life, who really cares if we "see eye to eye"?

The membership and those on Ebay will decide for themselves which path they will follow, not us.....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't sell on ebay much anymmore, but I think the seller can change the format from auction style to Buy It Now before anyone bids on it. And, I think, they can list the BIN for a specific buyer. So, if that is the case then it would be within the rules to offer a BIN if there are no bidders. To me, where it would then be unethical is when somene has bid and then the seller ends it early.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
M
M
I think the true problem here is that the seller couldn't put up with the pressure of a few ebay messages. You have to expect that when trying to sell online or even in the real world you will have people try to scam you or buy you're item for next to nothing. You just have to ignore them and do what you think is best to get the best price you think you can get for the item. Its like people who list on craigslist but say no spammers or lowballers, its not going to stop people, its just the price you pay for trying to sell online.

N
N
I don't post alot but I do sell quite a bit on ebay. Attending local auctions, picking and finding cool items then reselling as became sort of a part time job/hobby for me and I sincerely enjoy it.
I often get offers to end an item early and just recently have had 4 offers on an item currently listed. 3 of the offers were reasonable and 1 was just someone trying to play me for a fool.I respectfully declined all 4 offers just because I want to see what the item sells for, there was no other reason than the thrill of watching the auction end. I almost always start all my auctions at .99 with no reserve no matter what I paid for the item. I always entertain offers and never get angry it's part of selling on ebay. If the person pulled his items because someone asked him to sell the item then I agree with manothebus, if you don't want the messages don't list the items!

WANT TO BUY VINTAGE OIL CHANGE DOOR JAMB STICKERS. ANY AMOUNT ANY COMPANY.
Buyer, collector and reseller contact me with anything you have for sale
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I think some of you are ignoring something. Ebay has rules, you break the rules and they find out, you and the other person are out. Asking a seller to end an auction is against Ebay's rules.

I have bought and sold over 14,000 items on Ebay. Last year I sold over $76,000 worth of stuff on Ebay. At the present time I have over 2000 items running on Ebay, no auctions, 100% of them are Buy it Now. I will not do anything that might jepordize my ability to list things on Ebay. It sure beats what I used to do, I used to set up at 22 shows per year, almost one every other week. Some might think Ebay is expensive, but it sure beats sleeping in my truck every other week.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Kind of like some peps post on here and c-list that they are taking offers on an item!

Cities service, Vickers, Gas and Auto neons, next exit/ ahead signs and now I'm getting into globes....

AKA PARIS HILTON!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...if an auction has bids - AND has met the reserve - it should run its course...

...and Bob - you might have success requesting the seller's contact info (which would have their name), since you were a bidder on one of their auctions...click on 'advanced' next to 'search' at the top of an eBay page, then click on 'Find contact information' on the left hand side of the page, under 'members'...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Sun Jul 29 2012 03:26 PM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Agree with Gulfiend! If reserve isn't met - no one has reached a purchase commitment - so if seller has a hot buyer willing to hand him the $, it's his choice to sell now IMO!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...also, if there is NO reserve and there are bids, I think the auction should run its course as well...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I received a message from the Seller answering my question of what happened to the Auction.... He answered that the Tydol ad glass got broken.....

I don't know what happened.... I have had items I was selling on Ebay break, but I always sent a message to the bidder(s) to let them know.....

For those that wonder what happened: I was the high bidder on a piece of ad glass and the auction was pulled by the Seller without any notification by the Seller to me... And I was/am irritated by the lack of courtesy by the Seller... I am hoping that he is not a Member of Oldgas.....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved