Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#347172 Wed Aug 08 2012 08:42 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
eBay auction 271033326384

Can someone help me figure out if this is real or fake? Looks too good to be true. If its fake, can you tell me how you figured this out?

Thanks as always!
Eddy

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
nice sign.. cool

RANDY
advertologist #347182 Wed Aug 08 2012 09:29 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Nice real sign or nice fake sign lol

Eddy Smith
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Genuine sign...no question.
This is from the Magnolia divison of Socony-Vacuum Eddy, signified by the size of the sign and the maker Texlite. They are slightly larger than the standard blue border plates, and have the thin blue and white borders. Magnolia signs also have the two different style "A"s, one as the one in question, the other is the serif style "a" with the open loop at the top. I can post a pic if you don't understand what I'm saying here, lol.
For some reason these versions do not bring as much as the more common wide blue border plates, but with the way the market is changing on these signs, I expect to see them bringing stronger prices like the others.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #347233 Thu Aug 09 2012 07:33 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the input Darin. Did you learn this from a particular book or learning material? Just askin so maybe I can pick up a copy. Thanks- Eddy

Eddy Smith
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
The Mobil guide by Henderson and Benjamin is helpful with this stuff, but I've learned mostly by the same methods as others on here, going to shows, watching lots of auctions, specializing in Mobil, etc. I was told when I first starting collecting old gas items that I better pick a brand because the amount of collectibles was overwhelming. I loved the Pegasus since I was a kid, so decided on Mobil as my main brand to collect, but like many others if I see something I like or at a good price from another brand, I'll buy it lol. So now I have Texaco, Pure, Gulf signs, cans, etc. It's easy to do in this hobby. smile
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Darin is correct Eddy;Magnolia division.Since I chase New Mexico stuff pretty hard,I took down my blue border plates and replaced them with the MC/AX versions of the plates.I did it because New Mexico is in the Magnolia marketing territory according to a map in a book Wayne and Scott put out some time ago.

Personally,I think they don't seem to bring as much as the dated blue border plates because a lot of people don't realize they are real.My MC/AX plates are not dated.Hope that helps,particularly those of you in the Magnolia territory.

Ooops,almost forgot. Wendell

Old Iron #347254 Thu Aug 09 2012 09:30 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I agree Wendell, I've never seen a Magnolia territory plate dated from either company, Texlite or McMath-Axilrod of Dallas. I also agree with your thoughts that people don't think they are real due to the size and no dates, hence the lower prices.
Darin

Darin Sheffer

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved