Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#347400 - Fri Aug 10 2012 04:20 AM Texaco thermometer. Origin??
Steven C. Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: MICHIGAN
What is the origin of a piece like this? Was it made/issued by Texaco or is it some 1990's aftermarket piece?

Attachments
thermometer.jpg

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#347401 - Fri Aug 10 2012 04:49 AM Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? [Re: Steven C.]
J.E.Radebaugh Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Gracey, Kentucky
It's a fantasy piece....

Collecting Texaco and Havoline Signs, Cans, and Giveaways.
texacosigns@gmail.com

#347402 - Fri Aug 10 2012 04:56 AM Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? [Re: J.E.Radebaugh]
Steven C. Offline
Veteran Member

Did they make a real ones back in the day?

#347404 - Fri Aug 10 2012 05:24 AM Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? [Re: Steven C.]
THERMOMAN Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: smyrna, de USA
When someone refers to an advertising piece as a "fantasy" piece, they are implying that an original never existed. If an item is called a repop it means that it is a copy of an original. Most people clump the 2 together and just say repop. Either way it has very little room in a serious collections.

#347412 - Fri Aug 10 2012 06:55 AM Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? [Re: THERMOMAN]
Old Racer Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Pickett, WI USA
Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but where did "Repop" come from? Repop*****? Short for what?
Or was it a typo for "Repro" at some point? Reproduction?
Just wondering. I have used both.

Email:john@oldgaspumpguys.com

Old Gas Pump Guys
"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.oldgaspumpguys.com/

#347413 - Fri Aug 10 2012 07:06 AM Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? [Re: Old Racer]
GasCan Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Repop is a reproduction of repro. Much like fantasy is a figment of one's imagination. lol

Collecting Canadian Products such as Red Head Oil, Red Indian Oil, Buffalo (Prairie City) Oil.

#347414 - Fri Aug 10 2012 07:20 AM Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? [Re: GasCan]
KZ1000 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Mass
repop = repopped out of mold/etc. IMO

Edited by KZ1000 (Fri Aug 10 2012 07:20 AM)

#347418 - Fri Aug 10 2012 07:32 AM Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? [Re: KZ1000]
Here's Your Sign Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Just North of Atlanta, Ga.
Did Texaco even make a real therm? If so does anyone have pics? All I ever seen is the fantasy pieces.
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!

#347419 - Fri Aug 10 2012 07:39 AM Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? [Re: Here's Your Sign]
Here's Your Sign Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Just North of Atlanta, Ga.
Oh and for my two cents I always thought repop was short for repopulated. As in repopulating the hobby with garbage.
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!

#347420 - Fri Aug 10 2012 07:40 AM Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? [Re: Here's Your Sign]
J.E.Radebaugh Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Oh yeah...Dealers, Consignees, Agents and Distributors commonly used the little banjo thermometers (plastic and metal).

I'm at the office and can't take pictures of the Texaco thermometers I have. Just watch out for the reproduction plastic banjo thermometers (the "T" looks funny on them).

texacosigns@gmail.com

#347421 - Fri Aug 10 2012 07:45 AM Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? [Re: J.E.Radebaugh]
J.E.Radebaugh Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Here are a few auction numbers of original thermometers.

texacosigns@gmail.com

#347580 - Sat Aug 11 2012 05:23 AM Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? [Re: J.E.Radebaugh]
Steven C. Offline
Veteran Member

Wow!! It sounds like some of you don't like this little piece smile I understand. I don't love it either, but with all due respect to the old Texaco thermometers that where posted here. They are not very attractive to me. Maybe the mountian pic one. And in this case, I get a much bigger smile from the fantasy piece. Although I hate the FAT "T". It is wrong!! When it comes to thermometers, it seems Texaco falls a little short.

IMHO, it should be "Repro" for "Reproduction". But, "Repop" just rolls of the tongue easier and seems easier regardless of it's origins. Wow! Now we're debating not only reproduction gas stuff, but reproduction words! : )

Also, would not this "fantasy" piece have to be manufactured with copyright permissions from Texaco? And if so, would that not somehow make it a legal piece of Texaco advertisement? Just laying that out there for discussion.

Edited by SC62 (Sat Aug 11 2012 05:32 AM)

#347581 - Sat Aug 11 2012 05:27 AM Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? [Re: Steven C.]
TheRoyalCrown Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: LA, usa
At the bottom I see in small print the word permission, so yeah it's legal. That was never the point though. Someone decided one day to make a Texaco thermometer they would enjoy themselves, or maybe a limited production. Thats what makes this a fantasy item, because it never existed in the first place.

Edited by TheRoyalCrown (Sat Aug 11 2012 08:10 AM)

#347582 - Sat Aug 11 2012 05:34 AM Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? [Re: TheRoyalCrown]
Steven C. Offline
Veteran Member

I didn't mean legal as in legally legal. I meant legal as in hobby legal.
Who cares what big government thinks. I'm talking about what us Americans think. (oh c'mon!! it's an election year : ) )

Edited by SC62 (Sat Aug 11 2012 05:36 AM)

#347584 - Sat Aug 11 2012 05:58 AM Re: Texaco thermometer. Origin?? [Re: Steven C.]
carolinaskies Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Upstate SC, USA
Fantasy items are those which were never produced in the time period the piece is supposed to represent having been made.

A "licensed" product is one that the original owner of the license of the product, brand, image, character has been paid for/given permission for the usage/reproduction of said product, brand, image, character by a third party.

The license can be pulled at any time if the original owner feels damage is or may occur to their reputation or that of their product, brand, image or character.

And yes an item can be a licensed fantasy!

The only time that I am aware signage would have a license number is if it were involved in some usage requiring a state/federal licensing process and would state as such on the signage.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved