Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A fellow old gasser has this listed on Ebay. I emailed him but unfortunately he doesn't know anything about it use or age. Is there anybody out there that may know whether its real or not and if real, its age, and what it was used for?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120139300403&rd=1&rd=1

------------------
Chuck
smile
Signs Wanted: Sunset, Clipper, Habor, Indian, Powerlube, Beacon, Sinclar Aircraft

Chuck
smile
Signs Wanted: Sunset, Clipper, Harbor, Indian Motorcycle, Powerlube, Beacon, Michelin, Conoco MM
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
good eye .....oh its real alright, however doubt if its real old.....i'd bet its pure fantasy.....sure hope somebody notifies the unfortunate buyer.

[This message has been edited by roadrelics@aol.com (edited 07-08-2007).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I do not believe it is real. What would they have used the sign for? On the plane door? Or??

------------------
Scott Wright-
http://www.frontrangegas.com/powerine.htm

Scott Wright
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
According to google it was founded my Richard Leferink

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/in.htm
http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac3/Airline/Wyoming%20Air%20Service%20Boeing%20247-D.html

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/in3204i.htm

[This message has been edited by huskybob (edited 07-09-2007).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seems ODD it has the FRONTIER logo instead of the Bucking horse logo of Wy.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you go to the first link, that Huskybob listed, you can see that the logo is "kinda' the same but different". As are, the other logos on that link. I cant verify its authenticity, but it sure is cool. BTW Scott, my guess is it was probably a door sign for a truck, baggage cart, gate, or something like that.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I owned one of these once, dont even recall where i got it but it is definately a repop. Traded it to a guy and some cash for a pair of green streak signs even though he knew it was not origial, just liked it so much and was a pilot, had to have it in his hanger.........Les

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Hey Dick.... I guess any horse standing on its hind legs with a rider would look like the Frontier logo..... they are similar, but not all that much alike.
I guess it would be quite ODD if Wyoming Air copied the Frontier Oil logo as Wyoming Air was founded 10 years before Frontier Oil.
bob

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for all the input gents. I've been talking with Don of vintagegas and he just doesn't know. I tend to agree that it's a repop of a very real company (thanks Husky for that research). I would still love to have the sign but I can't justify that kind of money for a possible repop. I guess I'll keep looking for that "reasonably priced" repop or a possible real one if it does exist.

------------------
Chuck
smile
Signs Wanted: Sunset, Clipper, Habor, Indian, Powerlube, Beacon, Sinclar Aircraft

Chuck
smile
Signs Wanted: Sunset, Clipper, Harbor, Indian Motorcycle, Powerlube, Beacon, Michelin, Conoco MM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
maybe you should email this old gasser & see if he can get another one in your price range............i think if this was original it would be near or over $2000 give or take a $1000, especially being on eBay where the sharks surf,........... however if its a total fantasy & limited production piece its just a tad more valuable than a REPO.........this kind of knowledge is the differece between beginner, intermidiate & advanced collectors .............THE OUT RAGE HERE IS, that this poor stiff buying this unknown or un circulated sign may never buy another.........

[This message has been edited by roadrelics@aol.com (edited 07-09-2007).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
sign is from the collection of a deceased collector

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Darryl,
You might be right that it is a fantasy piece and would be worth more than a repop. I have a feeling that the 11 3/4 inch diameter dictates its propably a repop since that what most repops are done at. Could just be a low production repop. Still want one whether its a cheap repop, a mid priced fantasy, or a high dollar original.

Besides, I was stationed in Cheyenne with the Air Force, flew aircraft in and out of that airport and probably landed at nearly every airport on the original Wyoming Air route while I was there.....it wouldceratinly be a neat piece to have.

------------------
Chuck
smile

Chuck
smile
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'd hate to think anyone is suggesting Don is misrepresenting this item? Of all the people I've met through the years of collecting, I'm proud to call this collector a friend, and he is honest as the day is long. If anyone has hard evidence one way or the other, I'd like to here about it. I like the sign and am tempted to bid, it seems there is a lot of supposing and speculating, and assorted opinions, but I'd like some facts..........

Visit our Website or FaceBook Page

Lance @ Pogos Garage

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Better Yet I'd like to see the fact it is original.............

..Don has been perfectly clear in his revision on eBay, he is taking no sides or responsibility...............i guess thats the difference between collectors & sellers on ebay, some know & most don't know the difference

.....I'll keep my eye open for you Chuck.......I was based in Casper Wy. rough necking for many years &......went to Colo., Mont. Idaho , S.D. working on the triple stand drill rigs, wished i was buying signs back then, however i don't want all the oil company repos....................

[This message has been edited by roadrelics@aol.com (edited 07-10-2007).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't think anyone said anything about Don or his honest dealings.

My opinion is based on the style of the plane, I think period Orion planes had wings beneath the fuselage. The lack of other known examples. Use of a porcelain sign on a plane or anything else for such a small company would have been cost prohibitive, size is too small for all the airplane signs I have seen etc.

It appears the bidders on ebay do not agree!

------------------
Scott Wright-
http://www.frontrangegas.com/powerine.htm

Scott Wright
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Also...bear in mind that Ande Rooney did a ton of round airline porcelain signs and then discontinued them slowly as they realized they weren't going to sell.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I have a bunch of the Andy Rooney airplane signs including Fronteir, Piedmont, US Airways, United, etc and come to think of it, they all have vintage airplane logos on them. I'll have to dig them out and atke a closer look.

------------------
Chuck
smile

Chuck
smile
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I have a bunch of old inventory also, and many look just about like this, but none in this logo. The funny thing is, that sometimes I'll find an old Rooney sign, in their wrapper & sticker, and I'll call them to see if I can order more. They will often say, "We've never made that sign". When in actuality, the person you are speaking to has only worked there for 6 months. They are NOT to be taken at their word for what they have or have not produced, believe me, I deal with them nearly daily.

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
If someone had a collection of the old Rooney catalogs, it may show up in one of those.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved