Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#353662 Wed Sep 05 2012 09:50 AM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
I guess I'm showing my age...but I finally needed to vent on this one. I see what seems to be more and more, new Old Gas users who have questions or who have items for sale, saying they can't figure out how to post pictures on the site. They request that people email or text them to see their photos, or they ask another member to put the photos on for them via an email.

Hey, I'm 67-years-old, and not at all computer savvy. But, I was able to easily figure out sizing and including photos in my posts. The hosting system on Old Gas is quite user-friendly. I can only think "Come on fella, try a little harder", when I see one of these photoless posts. There....I feel better now. Thanks for listening! John

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John, yer not alone . Heck, I see it ALL the time on every forum I belong too and that's probably too many. Ive personally sent E-mails showing how to trans pose Photo Bucket to forums . Do they even try, I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT!Hey, I think it's a case of some badd drugs back in the sixties , but hey, what I know , I'm simply a recovering addict myself from 1977........... Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John, I have similar thoughts as you when I see a "photo-less" post....

Except mine are less kind...

We have a testing forum, so "new" and "older" members can work on their photo posting techniques..... I notice that really NO ONE uses it.....

To those who have NOT, mastered photo posting... And feel that others should post for them or contact them for photos....

QUIT BEING SO DAMN LAZY AND LEARN HOW TO POST PHOTOS.......

Use the Testing Forum and information,that Jim has so generously supplied.....

Now, I feel better!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
How to post pictures using Oldgas.com File Manager upload:

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=128716

The number 1 problem = pictures are too big.
How to resize your pictures to a workable size:

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=134504#Post134504

Testing Area & ImageShack Tutorial (PhotoBucket is similar):

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=11&page=1

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I rarely reply or comment on any value or for sale posts that do not have pics. What's the point of a post without them, since an informed decision can't be made without photos, whether the poster is looking for a value or trying to sell something? I can't evaluate anything without seeing it, and I certainly wouldn't buy anything without photos!
I say ignore such posts, especially in the value section as it seems like a broken record on there some days. "I don't know how to post pics, but how much is this X item worth, it's in GREAT shape." I love the value section, but asking for a value with no pics is asking for the inevitable answer, "post a pic so we can help you."
Something I've noticed lately in the for sale forum has kinda made me chuckle a little. Some "newer" members are writing out their phone numbers, with 5 one 7 - 4 three 1 - XXXX....... Don't worry folks, this isn't Craigslist, you can put your full number on here and it won't be removed from your listing! wink
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Darin, I could be wrong but I think a lot of people "code" their phone number on Craigs and other public web pages so it isn't picked up by the "bots" searching the web for valid phone numbers to put into database for sales/marketing?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I remember when I first tried to post pictures. I tried and tried and.... Figured it out.just took a bit. I don't have any problem helping someone with their first couple pics,but it gets old after that.i have even offered( and been taken up on that offer) to have the person call me so we could both look at our screens at the same time and it's real easy.. Some I think just don't try hard enough,and after a couple times,I don't offer anymore.i could give you some examples,but I won't.oldgas is about helping others in the hobby,but not to a point that they try to take advantage.and some are more " computer challenged" than others.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No one was born Potty Trained,
No one learned to walk w/ 1st step,
Ride a bike w/o training wheels,
Starting a family [unless you were very lucky/UN-lucky!]

BUT ya kept TRYING & WA-LA,
No more Diapers,
Ya quit falling on your Butt,
Now you can ride a Harley,
Some started a family & others decided Not to!

Mick,
Some are "challenged", & not just computers!
Some take the easy way out "I CAN'T DO IT" because I GAVE UP.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Wed Sep 05 2012 04:32 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Some members on here have buddies occasionally post photos for them, because the internet via the old fashioned computer (I too do not have a smart phone) is as good as they get techwise, and I think this is never a problem for a willing friend.

I have noticed a number of newbies who try and can't that first time. You post that first message thinking you can do the pictures and you push submit and no pictures! Well ya' get a little embarassed because that first message promising pictures is kind of hanging there...what do you do? Most newbies don't realize they can delete the whole message. They don't think of testing first because they thought (as I did my first time) that they could do it. Then someone offers to help post their first photos and they really appreciate it, and they try really hard to get the next photo themselves, and I've noticed most of them succeed! For me, needing text in the main body of the message for the File Manager had me stumped for a while.

So you folks in the first two categories, this thread, I feel (I hope) is not directed to you... smile

The rest of you all though...tsk, tsk. frown

Last edited by Nicole; Wed Sep 05 2012 06:49 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
never had a problem with pictures ,go resize them ,download them and post.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Darin,
Anything you post here can be picked up by the 'spiders' ask Jim what they are about. Just a google of my name and you can find where something about me from here was posted to the web that I never intended!

Back to what this post was about,

Picture posting is easy except for the first time. Just read.

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Gotcha Signs&Neons....I've looked at Craigslist only a hand full of times personally, but that makes sense! I thought maybe they removed the numbers from listings and you had to go through their email service only to do business on there. Never sold on Ebay or Craigslist myself.
Darin
What about our phone numbers listed in our profiles, are those only available to registered members? I've never had a problem with anyone but another Old Gasser using it? Sorry to deviate from the topic.

Last edited by DWSheffer; Wed Sep 05 2012 07:18 PM.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Profile's are ONLY accessible to Registered Members.
I have Removed email addresses [from my address Book] of members that have used mass mailing of their updated web sites or items For Sale.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Easiest way I found to resize is to email myself the pics from Gmail and select file size small.

I'm pretty tech savy and have found this the most convenient way. If anyone needs pointers, please contact me.

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I can't get them to upload from photobucket using my iPhone. It will not let me copy the link off f photobucket. Any pointers there, my goal is not to aggravate the natives. Just yesterday I needed info on an item a couldn't upload the photo off my phone, so I had to ask about it and the value with no photo. Didn't want to, but had no other option.

Always looking for Mississippi company items, Billups, southland, ride with rose.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved