Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#363257 Mon Oct 15 2012 06:00 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I know that this could start some comical responses, but seriously, what does this phrase mean to you? I usually took it to mean "If you don't have a big pocket full of money, then don't inquire". Do you sellers use this phrase when selling a high end item, and/or do potential buyers (tire kickers) still inquire anyways? Just curious, what has your experience been? Sam

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am always serious when looking at something, but what is serious to the seller? Maybe we think of it as two different things. Just a thought.

And YES "TIRE KICKERS" are everywhere and i hate that cause they waste my time. Put up some money or dont waste my time.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
If you ask a price and decide thats too much, does that make you a non serious tire kicker? I am always interested in buying more for my collection, but I am not interested in paying too much for something unless Ive just got to have it. And yes I have paid too much for some things, just like everyone else has at least once, but Im not made of money either. So if you pay too much for something, does that make you a serious buyer?Sometimes a serious buyer will make you a serious offer. If its not enough, tell him and tell him how far off he is, and then thank him for his interest. He might just pay up. You never know unless you ask.The price might be just right but do you pass on asking because you think you might not be taken seriously.Now, if you ask a price and then turn around and tell the guy your just pricing the one youve got at home,you might tick the guy off. To eliminate that, post a price and stick to your guns.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: mcguffeyd1

And YES "TIRE KICKERS" are everywhere and i hate that cause they waste my time. Put up some money or dont waste my time.

I don't think thats right?? I kinda like tire kickers because they are looking for "something" even if it isn't the item in question! If I have a good product at a good price, I'm always willing to take the time to "sell" my product to the potential buyer at whatever price I've determined and possibly talk about several other products that I may have for sale!
I believe that to be successful, you have to believe in what you're selling and take the time to explain those beliefs to the potential customer. Not all customers have the knowledge of the product that you do and need a few minutes of conversation about it to realize what it is that they are dealing on!
Of course there are those few individuals that will never buy anything and are permanently in "shopping mode". You have to take the time with these people too in order to cover all the bases and in the end, this approach will win out over the attitude that you don't need those blamed "tire kickers". JM2C--KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I have to own up to being a tire kicker.At shows I ask a lot of prices, mostly to learn and get a feel. I'm only there with a couple of interest in mind,brand wise,to actually buy. I'm polite tell them its a nice item and thank them for they time.
Talking about high end advertised items advertised with serious
should only inquire,means if I'm not serious I'm not going to bother you.
I will say this if you want serious buyers without tire kickers--post a price.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Originally Posted By: Loyd Pierce

Absolutely!!!!!!!

I will also say this...when I see sellers ask for "serious buyers" only with no price, that to me means it is ridiculously overpriced and I don't even bother to research further.

Last edited by petropumps; Mon Oct 15 2012 08:34 PM.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Originally Posted By: petropumps
Originally Posted By: Loyd Pierce

Absolutely!!!!!!!

I will also say this...when I see sellers ask for "serious buyers" only with no price, that to me means it is ridiculously overpriced and I don't even bother to research further.

Those 2 statements cool

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's like a State putting up Radar Enforced signs for Serious Speeders Only!
IF your ride is not capable of doing 150+ your not allowed to drive that section of highway!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If you are taking up the mantle of "seller" you better also be willing to take up the mantle of "teacher" as well. If you don't want to take the time to potentially educate me, I'm not taking the time to open my wallet to you, because oyu are obviously considered only about one's self. "Serious inquiries" to me often means "Pay me XXXX, shut up, and go." It means you have no interest in talking or dealing.

Again, my opinion only.

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
W
W
It is up to the Individual Seller whether they want to post a price or not.
This has been dragged thru the mud every few months. Let it go.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've always figured that it is up to the Seller, to determine how they WANT TO SELL THEIR ITEM(S)....

Hell, why not have the Membership determine what price someone can ask for THEIR ITEM(S)?

If someone doesn't place a price on an item, IMO they should expect serious and not so serious inquiries....

Hell, I've read more than a few replies, where Members have voiced their dissatisfaction and downright disbelief with some Members pricing...

Hard to believe, but true; On Oldgas lately, a Seller can get flack for not pricing items and for pricing items....

Oldgas has come along way since I started "lurking" on the site... Unfortunately, IMO, it has moved away from the Collector and towards neophytes looking to make a buck....

I've bought more than a couple of items on Oldgas and sold more than a couple.... But, had never been told that I now have to accept the mantle of "Teacher" if I place an item up For Sale....

That is an "concept" I will need to wrestle with....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would rather deal with a tire kicker than an arrogant seller.

Part of selling is providing service.....part of buying is expecting service.

I respect sellers right to not list a price....but, it makes no sense to me. I believe the price is as important as the description. Description and price are equally important to me when determining if I'm interested in a item. Price also helps me determine if you are a serious seller. I don't respond to ad's without prices. I don't have the patience or time to waste; making an inquiry to get a price that I feel should have been included in the listing.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bob, by "teacher" I just meant that, buying from you, I know I can ask a question or two, and expect a reasonable answer without you being cynical or mean spirited. As much as you have taught people without having anything to gain, I'm sure you'd provide me with as much info as you possibly could either way.

Because of this I'd gladly spend my money with you, as opposed to someone who roped themselves off asking for "serious inquiries only" and not wanting to be forthcoming with their information.

Look at any "salesman," whether it be cars, beds, credit cards, etc. etc. If you want to gain something in life, and do it well, you gotta be willing to put something in.

This is all on top of just plain kharma.

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Eddy, thank you for clarifying that for me.... I honestly was not understanding what you meant. I do now....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
If you can't be bothered to educate a potential buyer on why you are offering the best product to fit their needs/desires then don't expect to always get top dollar.

If you don't want top dollar for your item then list it cheap and sell it fast.

If you think you or your item is "too good" for this nonsense, keep your sale private or take your gem to auction where you don't have to sully yourself.

there's plenty of different ways to sell items, but if you want retail value you should plan to cater to everyone. That tire kicker may not buy your $4000 sign but they'll remember how you treated them when you are selling something they "have to have'

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is getting too heavy for me to understand, I want to go back to collecting, period........

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Only saying post of price may deter tire kickers. Didn;t mean to redirect this topic.
Sell as you wish.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
This is getting too heavy for me to understand, I want to go back to collecting, period........

...I hear ya...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In my opinion.....(LOL) If someone says serious buyers only, they should have a price on it. So if someone is asking $1000, and says "Serious offers" only, don't show up with a $500 offer. If there is no price and you offer what you think is a fair price, then I think the seller should be respectful and say that is too low...but then step up and say what they want for it. On the other hand....if someone says it is for sale and to make a serious offer and they don't have a price. You better go do some homework or just flat out ask them and hope to come to terms. I had an Oldgasser do that to me. I was trying to get a feel of what they wanted for it and they wouldn't say. iImade an offer that I thought was fair and they laughed at and essentially hung up. I bought one for the price I offered the Oldgasser on ebay the following week for about the same price. Being the crabby human I was that week, I sent him a pic.

Last edited by Alex; Tue Oct 16 2012 03:06 PM.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Well said.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Alex
. Being the crabby human I was that week, I sent him a pic.

Atta boy!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards

If someone doesn't place a price on an item, IMO they should expect serious and not so serious inquiries....

Oldgas has come along way since I started "lurking" on the site... Unfortunately, IMO, it has moved away from the Collector and towards neophytes looking to make a buck....

Well said Bob... I also agree with KZ & Gulfiend...

Last edited by Thunder II; Tue Oct 16 2012 07:11 PM. Reason: spellin

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I always have thought it meant no window shoppers, tire kickers.

I believe if you do use that phrase in conjunction with something available to buy that a price should be indicated.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved