Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#364684 Sun Oct 21 2012 07:02 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Hello All,

I thought I would start a thread documenting my efforts to restore a gas pump. I registered on this forum on October 1, 2012, but had been on the site and forum before that, reading and learning a little about Petroliana and how you fellows operate here.

You may have read my first posts. I was close to buying a pretty nice visible, but got beat out on it. I guess it wasn’t meant to be mine. Oh well, we move on.
I recently came up on another visible, pretty close to the same as the first, missing a few parts, but pretty solid. In fact, it was closer to home, so I saved quite a bit on gasoline cost. I quietly made a deal on it with the nice fellow and brought her home.

The pump is a Wayne 615. A visible is what I had been looking for as I wanted a pump that would be of the era of my Model T’s. I suppose these pumps were around a few eras, as I’m learning they were used up into the 50’s and maybe later.

Well, I thought by starting a restoration thread, I can get some of you to offer suggestions, opinions, and/or ideas. I have experience, but not much with gas pumps. I’ve owned and built, restored, and tinkered on a lot of stuff over the years, so a little experience and common sense can go a long way. Some folks have told me that if I can keep my Model T’s running, I can work on just about anything.

So here goes, I’ll be posting my progress along with photos. I’ll be asking questions and seeking advice, so I appreciate your help with this journey. Maybe some other Petroliana newbies can learn along as we go forward to restoring this piece of cool history.

Orlando

First photos post of the pump as I brought her home.

Restoration 1.jpg Restoration 2.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
O
OP Offline
O
I believe the pump may be from our region, meaning the dry desert area. I'm from New Mexico and stuff preserves pretty well here. The steel skins are solid with no rust other than surface. It looks as though someone did a dress-up on it at some point. It looks as though it was painted with a brush and roller. It has a makeshift plastic cylinder and top bonnet.

Orlando

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Looking forward to this, Orlando. Great idea.

Jim Potts
Oldgas.com Techie
O
OP Offline
O
So as for finding out the date of the pump, when was it built? Can anyone help here. The manufacturer plate has a serial number. Does it tell us anything?

Orlando

Restoration 12.jpg
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The pump you have was manufactured in 1935

- Jacob -
Email: jake5246@hotmail.com
Cell 507-259-2601
O
OP Offline
O
Jacob,

I apprecitate the informtion. Please explain how you know. Is there a reference book that documents serial numbers?

Orlando

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Orlando,
Yes there is a reference book. It's called the "Gasoline Pump Blue Book". It is a inexpensive book and tells you years of manufacture based on serial #'s.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=349375

Last edited by bowserman; Mon Oct 22 2012 12:32 PM.

- Jacob -
Email: jake5246@hotmail.com
Cell 507-259-2601
O
OP Offline
O
Since I’ve mentioned my Model T’s in the earlier post, I thought I’d add a few photos of them, being that the Model T contributed greatly in shaping the gasoline and oil industry with regards to automobile transportation. Imagine the impact the Model T had on the need for building of roads and highways, gasoline filling stations, oil and grease for lubrication, tires, and accessories.

The first photo is of my 1924 Touring. This car gets used quite a bit for regular evening and weekend drives, and touring. It’s been restored and retains much of its originality. The second photo is of my 1921 Runabout. Although I did rebuild the tired engine and transmission, and put a new top and seat upholstery, as it was brittle and falling apart, it is pretty much original, never having been taken apart or repainted. We call these mostly untouched cars, "survivors". I bought it from the son of the original owner, of which the dad gave to the son when he returned from WWII. The third photo is of the ’21 Runabout and I at a car show.

I truly enjoy these automobiles. I look forward to getting the visible restored and displayed next to the cars.

Orlando

1924 Touring 1.jpg 1921 Rounabout 1.jpg 1921 Runabout 3.jpg
O
OP Offline
O
I had posted on the forum a couple weeks back looking for parts that I would need for the pump. My goal was to find original parts. So far, so good. I had a couple packages waiting for me today when I came home for lunch.

I had a chance to open up the boxes tonight. One part came in a few days ago, a drain back lid that I’ll need. Today’s packages had more goodies. I’ll be cleaning these up, sandblasting the top bonnet and rods, along with the pump itself, minus the skins. I believe I’m going to strip those instead.

Orlando

Restoration 17.jpg Restoration 16.jpg
O
OP Offline
O
Tonight, I also had a chance to take the skins, makeshift top and a few other pieces off to begin the cleaning, repairs, and prep. The skins have a few dents that will need some bodywork. The brass fitting from the cylinder that connects to the hose will need replacing as the threads are broken off.

More photos to follow.

Orlando

Restoration 4.jpg Restoration 5.jpg Restoration 18.jpg Restoration 19.jpg Restoration 7.jpg
O
OP Offline
O
The “Contains Lead” porcelain signs are in fair shape and intend to use them. One was a victim of being a target as it has two bullet holes. When I took it off, the lead slugs were still embedded in between the porcelain sign and the skin.

There are signs that the pump may have originally been red. I like that, as I was considering painting it red and white, maybe a Texaco theme.

The next step is to pay a visit to the sandblaster.

Orlando

Restoration 13.jpg Restoration 15.jpg Restoration 14.jpg Restoration 21.jpg
O
OP Offline
O
I called two different sandblasters mid morning and left messages with both. I never got a call back. I'll try again tomorrow.

I started stripping one of the skins tonight. It went pretty well. I brushed on a coat of stripper, then covered it with cling wrap so it would stay moist and eat into the paint. It seems to work better that way. I had to apply 2 coats to get most of the paint off. I'm seeing and feeling imperfections on the skin. It will need some bodywork for sure.

I'll strip the other skin tomorrow if time allows. Then I'll hit them good with some sanding, clean them up, and see about body work.

Orlando

Restoration 22.jpg Restoration 24.jpg Restoration 25.jpg Restoration 26.jpg
O
OP Offline
O
Can anyone tell me if I can get this fitting (cylinder to hose) at the local hardware or plumbing shop, or is this a special fitting for these pumps?

Thanks,

Orlando

Restoration 28.jpg Restoration 29.jpg
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Why not use the one you have? If I'm seeing this correctly, your hose thread is broken inside the fitting? Take a hacksaw blade and cut through the broken piece in two places. Taking care not to cut into the part you are trying to save. Once you cut deep enough, the broken threads should come out using a screwdriver or cold chisel as a drift to push them free. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

O
OP Offline
O
Paul,

When I first looked at it, I thought the same, but upon closer inspection, I learned it is one unit. The broken threads are part of the fitting.

Orlando

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved