Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
In that case, you'll have to replace the whole thing with a 45 degree elbow in black iron. If your suppliers are like they are around here, all that will be available are made in China? Take the piece and with a bit of careful grinding, the China stamp can be reduced to millings. Paint will cover a multitude of sin. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
O
OP Offline
O
Paul,

Thanks for your advice on the elbow. I'll look for one.

I was able to strip the second skin tonight. They look pretty decent. Next is body work. Haven't yet decided if I want to tackle this myself or take it to the body shop. I'll sleep on it.

I’m thinking I'll relocate the “Contains Lead” signs lower on the skins when I put them back on. This will allow me to place the logos up higher.

I got a call from the sandblaster this evening. He says he can blast the pump and parts middle of next week.

Photos of tonight’s work.

Orlando

Restoration 30.jpg Restoration 32.jpg Restoration 31.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looking good Orlando! You have a pretty decent pump there and those North Dakota parts will really top it off! LOL

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
O
OP Offline
O
Kevin,

I appreciate the comments. The parts arrived in good order.

Well, a cold spell hit the area early this morning and it's making me not want to go out in the garage tonight.

I did go by the body shop today. I've decided to let them do the body work and paint on the pump. I still have a little more prep work to do on the skins over the weekend. I'll deliver them to the body shop on Monday. I'm also still looking to get the sandblasting done next week.

I welcome comments from anyone.

Orlando

Last edited by Oldgas; Fri Oct 26 2012 05:57 AM. Reason: edit to conform with guidelines. Petroliana only
O
OP Offline
O
Hello All,

It warmed up nicely today, so I got out and finished prepping the skins. I wire brushed the back sides, wet sanded both sides, and then washed/scrubbed them good with warm water and dawn dish washing soap. I just want to make sure I got any and all stripper residue off. They look good, and are ready for the body work.

That's it for now. I'll keep you posted on any progress.

Orlando

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I save myself all the mess and clean up time by having the skins sandblasted. Never have had a problem with warpage. I go to the same place that does my cars they use walnut shells or marble chips.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
O
OP Offline
O
Dave,

Thanks for your comment.

I'll be doing that on the next project. I was worried about warpage. I bet they would've blasted with no problems. That steel is thick.

Orlando

O
OP Offline
O
I made some progress today.

I took the pump and parts to the sandblaster today. After some thought, I decided to load the skins and get them blasted, even though I had already stripped and cleaned them. The blaster did a great job and everything cleaned up well. I'm glad I did the skins. I learn with every project, no stripping next time!

I dropped the skins off at the body shop. The body man was glad to see the skins blasted. He now has nice clean surfaces to work with.

Here are some photos of today's progress.

Orlando

Restoration 36.jpg Restoration 37.jpg Restoration 38.jpg Restoration 40.jpg Restoration 41.jpg
O
OP Offline
O
I plan to prime and paint the internal portion of the pump, intend to paint it a grey color.

I noticed that the internal pump cylinders are a gold or brass color after the blasting.

Can someone tell me what this material is? I was planning on priming and painting it also. Should I paint this a gold or brass color? I appreciate some input here.

Here is a photo of the pump cylinders.

Thanks,

Orlando

Restoration 42.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The cylinders are brass. Be as meticulous as you want to be. You could polish them, paint them whatever suits you! They will not be seen once the pump is done. But I know I would like to see them polished..just me. Restored pumps are always way beyond what the factory ever did...But its yours

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
O
OP Offline
O
Thank you for that information Larry.

I may keep the brass unpainted.

Orlando

O
OP Offline
O
Hello All,

A little progress tonight. I primed the internals of the pump.

Can someone tell me the type and size of bolts and nuts I need for bolting the skins together? The ones it came with don't look correct.

Thanks,

Orlando

Restoration 43.jpg Restoration 44.jpg
O
OP Offline
O
I appreciate those who have been following my restoration thread. Feel free to comment, offer advice, or just say hi.

I’ve worked on the pump a little over the past few days. I painted the internals Smoke Gray in a gloss. It turned out good. It now looks nice and clean. I masked the brass cylinders, leaving them in a natural, sand blasted state. I will either attempt to polish them a bit or maybe paint them a bronze color.

I assembled the rods and jar lid in place today, just to make sure everything fits together well. It’s looking more like a complete pump. I believe I’ll have the pump painted with the rods screwed in place so I don’t scratch them trying to put them on after the paint.

I also picked up a 45 degree elbow in black iron to replace the broken pump to hose fitting.

If all goes well and the body man completes work on the skins, I’ll be taking the pump to the paint shop next week for the new paint work.

I located a nice handle, NOS hose, and Buckeye nozzle. I’ll try to get some photos of that next post.

I still need to purchase a 13 ½ “ steel or aluminum globe body as I want to get it painted at the same time as the rest.

Here are a few photos of the progress.

Hope to have more later in the week.

Orlando

Restoration 49.jpg Restoration 51.jpg Restoration 52.jpg
O
OP Offline
O
Hello All,

Well, I haven’t had much time to work on the pump as of late. It’s been a busy work week and with the time change, it sure makes it harder for me to get out in the garage after the sun has set.

I did manage to go check on the pump skins today. They are looking great! They may even get painted tomorrow. The early photos I took of the skins didn’t show much of the dents, scratches, and bullet holes, but they were there. Boy, these guys, Henry and Edward at Unique Paint and Body know how to smooth things out.

Here are some photos of the body work progress.

Orlando

Restoration 55.jpg Restoration 54.jpg Restoration 57.jpg Restoration 61.jpg Restoration 60.jpg
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Looks good Orlando, should be smooth and straight. I noticed you have your parts at Unique Paint and Body. We have a Unique Paint and Body here in Saskatoon as well, I worked there for 2 years prior to where I am now.
Ken.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved