Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#36802 Mon Jan 02 2006 02:17 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
The globes Scott sells come with the letters fired on if you request them that way or you can put them on yourself and not have them fired on.

------------------
Don & Lynn
oldgaspump.com

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#36803 Mon Jan 02 2006 02:31 PM
M
Mac Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
I spoke to the guy about the globe and said it is possible that it's a reproduction. I showed him what a repro costs. I looked the globe over really good and there are no markings or dates on it anywhere that would indicate that it's been repro'd. I told the guy he could keep the globe or sell it to me at the cost of a repro plus shipping, or about $250. He balked at first, so I told him to keep the globe and picked up the $250 cash and started to head out. I told him that I was the one taking the risk of it being original or not.

Truth is, original or not, I don't mind having it for display on a shelf or sitting on a pump. He finally agreed to take the money and I got the globe.

Still wondering if there is any way to tell for sure if it's a repop--like dates or something as some have suggested?

Thanks
Mac

#36804 Mon Jan 02 2006 02:36 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
MAC:

IT'S THE HOLIDAYS, WHEN THINGS SETTLE DOWN EMAIL SCOTT OR CALL HIM... HE WILL GIVE YOU THE ANSWERS... HE HAS GONE ABOVE AND BEHOND WITH ME ASKING QUESTIONS...

DOUG

#36805 Mon Jan 02 2006 03:40 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
My original says made in the usa and is etched.I dont have the super shell one though,just the shell.I wouldnt think that the guy would sell it that fast for that cheap unless it was not an original.As Roger stated these are bringing over 1500 all day.If its real congrats,but I would lean towards the fake side of the situation.This is how these globes get passed off as real over time.Fake gas stuff has been in circulation for over 30yrs now and there seems to be more money nowadays in faking something and selling it off as real.my2cents

------------------

#36806 Mon Jan 02 2006 03:54 PM
M
Mac Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
I emailed a pic of it to Scott Benjamin to see if he could tell if it is a repop or not.

I've looked this thing over and over and there are no markings of any kind on it anywhere. Will be very interesting to see what he says.

If anyone else out there has an idea, I'm interested in hearing from you.

I would assume that there would be some sort of marking on this if it's a repop, but maybe not.

Thanks
Mac

#36807 Mon Jan 02 2006 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Like Rex says....gotta touch it....
But looks like a repro to me. Paint is the wrong shade (too bright), base is not discolored. It it was an original with fresh paint the base would be grimy and probably have a few chips. I have seen UNMARKED REPRO Shell clams. Sounds like you paid what it was worth.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#36808 Mon Jan 02 2006 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
mac, i have an original shell not super shell, and does not have date or made in usa on it.as for yours i would say repo, but i am no expert, just looks a little white to me, also no staining on bottom, but a few globes never got put on a pump. just my guess cggas

#36809 Mon Jan 02 2006 05:22 PM
M
Mac Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Thanks guys. Globe might be and probably is a repro as you've said. I put it on a lighted base and it does seem a bit light in color. Still looks cool and should look good on a pump if I decide to do another, or will look good on a shelf. Wish it was the real McCoy, but if not that's okay. I almost bought a repop on a recent trip and since I paid a repop price this one, I'm not upset if it's not original. Actually, I'm a little bit relieved. If I would have paid a repop price for an original, I would feel like I ripped the guy off and that's never my intention. I don't mind getting a good deal, but don't ever want to intentionally "steal" something from the unsuspecting.

Thanks to all that responded. My guess is that Scott Benjamin will say it's a repop too. Looks neat lit up right now and I'm enjoying it so I guess that's all that matters, right?

Thanks again to all who responded.

Mac

#36810 Mon Jan 02 2006 05:55 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I have a repo with the stickers not applied yet, and there is a repo sticker to put on it. after you put them on you bake it in the oven to give a fired on apperance. Mine is very white like yours. I heared that they arent making them any more I dont know if this is true, just what I was told. I gave $200 for mine and thought that was allrite.
Brandon

#36811 Mon Jan 02 2006 06:46 PM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I believe that Scott Anderson at Time Passages is the one who reproduced the Shell Clams. His site shows the Shell and Super Shell versions. The are available from $200 to $250 depending on wether you have fired on painted letters, decals or nothing. He may be able to answer qustions regarding how you tell a repro from an original.

Bill Fortune
#36812 Mon Jan 02 2006 07:16 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
HEY GUYS:

I HAVE TO PUT IN MY TWO CENTS WORTH.

WASN'T THERE A THREAD ABOUT REPRODUCING GILL GLOBES ABOUT A MONTH AGO ??? REALLY IN MY BOOK, JUST STAY OUT OF COLLECTING AND START YOUR OWN BS CLUB... I HAVE NOTHING BUT BAD TO SAY ABOUT REPRODUCTIONS...

DOUG

#36813 Mon Jan 02 2006 07:22 PM
M
Mac Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Doug,

Not sure where you're coming from about the BS club, but if we start one up, I nominate you as president. Lighten up. Some of us can't afford $1800 globes. I posted this thread looking for some guidance. I bought a reproduction and paid a reproduction price...... so kill me, I guess.

#36814 Mon Jan 02 2006 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Let's not get mad here... a good question was asked and people are trying to help. I think this is a good topic myself that needs input.

Replies like that will make people not want to reply or ask questions.

This is one of the reasons repro need to be marked... you don't mark them then all your trying to do is rip someone off and that's a thief in my book!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#36815 Mon Jan 02 2006 07:41 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I agree 100% JJ. The dumb question is the one not asked.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
#36816 Mon Jan 02 2006 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The SUPER SHELL ETHYL I have was not etched for the paint [I repainted it], but was fired on paint. Couldn't remove all of the old paint without beadblasting, so I left some on & painted over it. Also only the SUPER & SHELL are cast into the glass. ETHYL was fired on paint.

On mine, it has 15 speed lines comeing off the large S.

For $250, you didn't get hurt & UPS didn't have a chance to break it !!
db

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved