Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#36817 Mon Jan 02 2006 07:44 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
MAC:

I APOLOGIZE FOR MY COMMENTS... I JUST GET TRIED OF HEARING ABOUT REPRODUCTIONS... AND I UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM. I FOR ONE DON'T BUY $1800.00 GLOBES. A FEW GAS MEMBERS KNOW ME AND HAVE SEEN MY COLLECTION... BUT THE GILL REPRODUCTION GLOBE BODY THREAD JUST HIT ME PAL... AGAIN I APOLOGIZE TO YOU AND ALL MEMBERS.

DOUG

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#36818 Mon Jan 02 2006 07:54 PM
M
Mac Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Doug,

Sorry to take a poke at you in my last post. I just get upset when some people take issue with reproductions. I don't like reproductions either and to date, I only have to original globes in my collection, a Skelly and a Gold crown. I bought the clam because I liked the look of it and the price was fair for what it turned out to be. If it would have turned out to be an original, that would have been nice, but since I paid a repop price, I don't mind it being a repop. If I would have paid more than that for it, I would have been upset since there is no way for me to tell an original from a fake. That was the reason for the post.

I agree with Jarvis. These are the kind of questions that keep me tuned into Olgas....also the cool pics, great BOTW's, and restoration tips, etc.

Any way. I do apologize for my comments. I didn't mean it. Just venting. My apologies to the other members as well.

Mac

#36819 Mon Jan 02 2006 08:09 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
MAC:

AGAIN TO YOU AND ALL MEMBERS I APOLOGIZE ABOUT MY COMMENTS...

I JUST HATE THE FACT WE HAVE TO ASK QUESTIONS TO ONE ANOTHER ABOUT BEING REAL OR NOT... TIMES USE TO BE ALOT SIMPLER, IN THE 60'S WHEN I WAS A PUNK, I WAS WASHING WINDSHEILS AND AIRING TIRES, ASKING TO CHECK THE OIL AND ALL THE FLUIDS UNDER THE HOOD AT MY FATHERS TEXACO STATION. GUESS TIMES HAVE CHANGED ???

AGAIN I'M SORRY TO YOU AND ALL MEMBERS

DOUG

#36820 Mon Jan 02 2006 08:31 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
HEY DOUG NO BIG DEAL.......I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL I WAS A PUNK TO....
WHAT WE NEED ARE DRIVE IN MOVIE THEATERS 10 CENT COKES AND 99 CENT GREASE JOBS.
MEMORIES.......
REX LIKES MEMORIES

#36821 Mon Jan 02 2006 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Repo's are Repo's, wheather they are globes, cans, signs, decals, pumps etc. etc. etc..............
Without some Repo's there would be VERY few restored pumps, game rooms, dens, theme rooms.......
NOT every collector can afford the REAL McCOY ITEMS.

LETS ALL BE FRIENDLY and get back to what matters,
HELPING EACH OTHER WITH INFORMATION.
Dick

#36822 Mon Jan 02 2006 08:47 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
THANKS REX

YOU'RE THE THE ONE AND ONLY ON THIS SITE !!!

DOUG LIKES AND APPRECIATES REX !!!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR AUCTION PAL !!!

DOUG

#36823 Mon Jan 02 2006 10:28 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
My last 2 CENTS!!

What I meant in my first post was start with the price of a repo ( I was guessing at 200 plus) plus shipping. Now repro or not with no damage it is worth at least that, after all you can see and touch it.. at that price you are not losing.

Now I am surprised this has not been brought up but I am not a globe guy either..

As far as I know, these were first reproduced by Petroleum artifacts in Oklahoma or nearby. I also seem to think seeing them advertised around then as being made from the ORIGINAL moulds.. for what it is worth.. In my opinion they could not be made more accurate than that, unless they are not rejecting ones that have flaws..

Enjoy it.. I have an original clamshell sitting on an origal paint GREEN Shell dieseline with the factory decal on it, never seen another but it looks pretty cool for a green Shell pump ( not the Streak one)

#36824 Mon Jan 02 2006 11:10 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
When I first got into the hobby, I bought a repo clam Shell. It's very hard to see, but just above the bottom rim. It is marked 1989, in the glass. It's only marked on one side. You really have to look for it.

I paid $125.00 for it off Ebay a few years back. I try not to buy repo, but when the price is right and you have 3 kids. I wouldn't be to upset if the clam shell got broken, can't say the same for the pair of Sky Chief lenses the kids broke last year.

Brian

Always looking for SKELLY items.
#36825 Mon Jan 02 2006 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brian,
Jarvis didn't by any chance call you did he?
That might explain why your lenses got broken.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#36826 Mon Jan 02 2006 11:37 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
No, but I think he might have bumped into one one of the kids at a show.

Actually, I've told the kids about a million times not to play ball in the house. You know kids, they had no idea how the lenses got broken.

I got to the bottom of it, I just bribed the youngest one.

Brian

[This message has been edited by BLange (edited 01-03-2006).]

[This message has been edited by BLange (edited 01-03-2006).]

Always looking for SKELLY items.
#36827 Tue Jan 03 2006 12:44 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I hate repros also but as Dick stated we need them,pump plates,globes,etc.What Im upset about is that no one positively stated that this globe is a repro or if it was real,this is whats hurting us,the collectors.These repros are so good were all confused if theyre real or not.I guess thats what people that cant afford the expensive globes want.NOT ME!

------------------

#36828 Tue Jan 03 2006 03:12 PM
M
Mac Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
I heard back from Scott Anderson today. I emailed him a pic of the globe and he said it is a repro. He said that the lettering on mine, as many pointed out, is much lighter than the originals. I told him that I had looked the globe over thoroughly and there was no markings of any kind that would indicate that it is a reproduction. Evidently, my globe is one of the very first reproductions that he was selling years ago and the guy who was making them for him did not put a date on them or mark them as reproduction in any way.

Sounds like the new ones are marked in some way, but he didn't elaborate on how the newer repros are marked.

The biggest thing I learned here is to trust your instincts and ask a lot of questions; question the seller, ask questions here on Oldgas, ask people knowledgable with your interests (such as Anderson),and lastly trust your instincts. I am a novice, to say the least, and I thought it looked too nice to be an original. It didn't look exactly like the ones I've seen in collectors books and the lettering was admittedly much lighter than the originals. Again, I didn't mind it being a repro, but without knowing for sure there was no way I was going to pay more than the price of a repro. In the end, I gave $250 for it. From looking at Anderson's site and factoring in shipping costs, I paid for what a repro should go for. I'll probably never own an original, definitely not at an $1800 plus price. I've got a nice looking decorator piece or a globe for a future pump restoration. If it gets broke I won't be too upset and I don't have to take out additional insurance to protect my meager investment.

I truly appreciate everyone's feedback. I wish I could relay more information on what to look for on these clams to determine their originality other than what Anderson shared with me. Bottom line is that there are, as I found out, clams floating around out there that are not marked reproduction, not dated, not marked "fake".

Mac

[This message has been edited by Mac (edited 01-03-2006).]

#36829 Tue Jan 03 2006 04:07 PM
M
Mac Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Hey guys,
My last post I did from work. I'm home now and thought I would paste in Anderson's email in case anyone wanted to read what he sent me.

Thanks.
Mac

1-3-05
To: MAC
SCOTTY'S GARAGE/TIME PASSAGES, LTD. www.time-pass.com
Hi Mac - From the e-mailed photo, I would say that your
Super Shell is one of my reproductions. Unfortunately,
the original maker of the mold (not me) did not mark the
Super Shell with a date or reproduction marking. My
"plain" Shell globe is marked as a reproduction with the
date 1994 embossed in the base of the globe. Your fired
on Red letters are much lighter and brighter than the
original dark red stenciled letters. Your globe is still
worth around $250 - $300 so hopefully you came out ok. An
authentic Super Shell globe would be worth between $1,500
and $2,250 depending on paint condition and asssuming no
glass damage. I hope this information helps you. Thanks
for now and happy collecting.
Regards,
Scott Anderson

#36830 Tue Jan 03 2006 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mac,
You've refferred to Scott Benjamin several times when actually you were talking about Scott Anderson. Scott A's business is Time Passages. Scott B's business is Oil Company Collectibles and PCM magazine.
Just thought that needed to be cleared up.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#36831 Tue Jan 03 2006 04:42 PM
M
Mac Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Again, thanks to all that responded. I must admit that, as an amateur in this hobby, I am very frustrated by reproductions that are not marked as such. It does make a collector new to the hobby very edgy when buying something. I don't care much for reproductions as a rule, but if I restore a pump to Atlantic for example, I find that I feel forced into the repros due to cost. And I bought a very nice repro HI-ARC globe with narrow milk glass body that had the manufacturer's date on it. That's also good for someone down the road when or if I sell the pump. I can be up front with them and say "this is basically an original pump except for these parts and this globe". It's when they're not properly marked that leaves room for deception and an uneasy feeling for the uneducated buyer (like me).

Thanks
Mac

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved