Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#367937 Sun Nov 04 2012 08:54 PM
pipes Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Picked this tank up over the weekend. Was curious as to when anyone thought this tank may have been made or the era it was used and what kind of application...I'm thinking 20's or early 30's but I'm not sure.

Looking for H.S. Goodell , Barkhausen , Gitchee Gumee, and other Local Upper Peninsula Michigan oil company items.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Would have been typical up into the 20s-30s with riveted seams.

A fellow had one dated 1927 at Maggie Valley NC over the summer. Initially installed on heavy wagon/carts pulled by animal which gave way to trucks.

Just run a Google image search for "oil wagon" and you'll see pictures of similar tanks in use.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
pipes Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
So it's possible this style/design of tank may have been on a wagon?

Looking for H.S. Goodell , Barkhausen , Gitchee Gumee, and other Local Upper Peninsula Michigan oil company items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

pipes Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I was at Terry's place and saw that in person.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I believe the estimation of the year of your tanker is a little off. I just went through over 100 ads I have for tankers from the 1920s & 1930s, and only found one that had a rivited tank and it was dated 1922.
It was about this time that everything was being welded and since your tank probably came off a horse drawn wagon, it probably dates to 1900 to 1918.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Jack's right, my memory was off on the one I saw. It is dated 1927, but was welded rather than riveted.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
pipes Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Wow! Older then I thought. Was going to put it on a 1929 Chevy truck but may need to find some wagon wheels and horses instead ! smile

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Story: Around 1992, the MFA warehouse in Columbia, MO called me and said they heard I purchased old gas pump equipment. I drove there from St. Louis. Arrived at their warehouse about 7:00 am in the morning, it was 0 outside, inside the building it was about 20, but I kept my self busy and warm geting all the things together they wanted to sell me.
NOS in the box Tokheim 39 and 300 doors. Same for sides of the pumps. About 20 M&S 80s, oil cans, NOS ad glass, etc. I even lucked out whan I said I didn't want the motors and pumps from inside the pumps, so they gutted them for me.
In the garage they had an about 1950 tanker truck that they were taking the tank off of and putting it on a relitively new 1992 truck.
What I am trying to say is that the trucks disappeared, the tanks kept giving service. It would probably look good on your 29 Chevy.

By the way, as I was finishing up at Columbia, we started talking about how much I owed them. In the meantime I had noticed that they were restoring a Tokheim 36B and that the faces looked very bad. I told them I had a pair of NOS (found in northern Ohio) Tokheim 36B faces, and that I would trade them for all the stuff mentioned above and they agreeded.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Nov 06 2012 01:43 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
pipes Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Wow....what a jackpot, love hearing those kind of stories!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved