Next Thread
Print Thread
#370448 Fri Nov 16 2012 04:11 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
These pics are from an auction that ended some time ago but I'm using them only as example. This guy had both the large sign and the two smaller signs claiming them all to be original.
The first two pics are close ups of the figures on the larger sign.
The second two pics are the figures from the smaller signs.

Look closely and note the great differences in the figures. I've looked at other auctions and pictures and noticed similar differences in other versions of these signs.
Now of course the figures from his larger sign are much clearer and more defined. Is this to say that his smaller signs are fakes? Would the images be this inconsistent and still be real???
I ask this because I'm looking at a current auction for two of the smaller signs and these also have the less detailed images on them and I'm worried they may not be real.

Any thoughts/knowledge would be greatly appreciated!!

both from large (2).jpg both from small (2).jpg

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #370645 Sat Nov 17 2012 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As to fake, I don't know but you are right that the images on the bottom are not as good. The other suspicious thing is the border of the mans is thicker and the womans sign seems more oval? Did Sunoco ever use brown?

Nicole #370664 Sat Nov 17 2012 09:33 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
After looking at this a little closer, I now realize that these smaller signs are quite a bit smaller. Only 2 7/8" x 7". This would make the images only about 1 1/2" or so high. This comression of the image to this much smaller size could be why the detail is not as sharp. Maybe??

Does anyone know, where these smaller signs on the bath doors? Is that what they are for?
Has anyone ever seen an old picture of a Sunoco station with these, and the larger sign on the bracket, in the picture?

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved