Next Thread
Print Thread
#372930 Tue Nov 27 2012 11:07 AM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
Well here we go with a run of these now. This one is just like the one that was on a couple weeks ago. Im sure we will see many more in the future too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWER-LUBE-EMBOS...=item2325a35cb8

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
YUCK!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Why they hay do people do this, it is harming all of the collectors, and the person who is buying it is getting ripped off mad !! I wish that no more fakes would pop up.

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Education: All AAA and Desperate Sign Co signs are fake\fantasy. Takes a while to sort out all the junk but knowing the names of the repop sign makers is what any new collector should do. People who buy these are either decorating and don't care or not educated in what they are buying. I'm the first to admit I probably have an advanced degree in repop education learned at the school of hard knocks. As soon as one learns a newbie arrives to take their place. The bigger problem is the unmarked junk from foreign countries.
Unfortunately it's here to stay.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most repops are made in the USA and the majority of them are not dated or marked. i.e. Just about all of the porcelain 11 3/4" & 12 inch round signs as well as various porcelain pump plates. Everyday on e-Bay people are getting burnt by them. If you add up the amount of total fake signs sold; India & Argentina are a much smaller part of the problem.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
By shear numbers the USA leads. Again, with education and you can identify most of the US repops by size ect... They were made to decorate. The foreign signs are made to deceive. That to me is the problem. At least when american junk is bought the money stays here for the most part.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Unfortunately, people are having the signs manufactured to order knowing the signs are fraudulent and then selling them as originals with intent to defraud people of their money. I think we have place more blame on the demand end of the problem and less on the supply end of it. All I'm saying, is that the problem isn't created entirely overseas. The real fraud takes place on e-Bay where most of the repops are locally manufactured signs and almost all are sold to unsuspecting North American collectors by North Americans.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved