Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#380898 Wed Dec 26 2012 08:39 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Granted I've only been in this hobby for 8 months. But I've never seen one of these and now 2 so called very rare bottles show up on the same night. And their both cherry mint. Are these real?

Last edited by SC62; Wed Dec 26 2012 08:47 PM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I would say fake. 2 of them in MINT condition, no marks, or damage done to them, a little suspicious don't you think?

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
That's exactly what I thought!!

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would stay away from both because rare glass bottles are faked alot, but these have no rack marks or small chips or scratches...?

170965161456 looks better to me than than 200870227694 because it is embossed at the top at the fill line.

But both are very very clean and a bit to clean i think.

Just my opinions, i like to be able to hold something and look at it first hand if it is rare because you have a better sense of if it is right or not.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: mcguffeyd1
Just my opinions, i like to be able to hold something and look at it first hand if it is rare because you have a better sense of if it is right or not.

I like that to, when it is in my hands, I know if it is real or fake most of the time.

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Dont be too quick to quick to say FAKE--- I saw this bottle 10-15 years ago-- during the war all sorts of bottles got used-- Quaker State-- Pennzoil and othere used this stlye bottle--some with screw on top-- others with a snap on cap-- they are both diff bottles--others like Kendall used at lease 3 diff bottles-- Just mt 2 cents--thanks don PS some Sunoco bottles even had the fired on logo on inside of bottle??

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ok, I have a question. If, I said if, these bottles are authentic are they worth $200 apiece? Just askin.......GB

D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Not to jump on Don's wagon, but I felt along the same lines as him as I have seen similar shaped bottles that were legit, especially the Pennzoil ones. I have never seen a Sunoco one previous to these before, but I don't look for Sunoco items either, so that's why I was reluctant to respond that they could be real. The one does have the liquid measure line and the labels look good, not sloppy like a repro could be. The condition could also be nice due to the fact that they were used for such a short period during the war and were not reused as the metal supply was replenished and cans were produced again. I know I do not see many of the Mobiloil jars and there had to be a lot of those made.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well again you have to think what they used these bottles for...
They were used and then most of the time thrown away, nobody thought that they would be collectible or worth more than the glass they were printed on.
I am not going to say FAKE or Real but i would have to stay away because i have been burned before (as most of us have) and would for sure have to hold them in my hand to say real or fake. Photos speak a 1000 words but seeing them first hand says a bit more.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Disclaimer: The following is my opinion based on my experiences in my life, yours may vary.

A quick FYI if you're looking at any glass containers, whether bottles, jars, etc. I use these identification techniques when inspecting glass.

Used glass containers should have signs of use unless NOS. Remember most glass containers were reused, refilled, moved, slid, and otherwise handled on a regular basis.

Inspect the bottom, sides, and lid area for scratches, chips, and wear where they would have been slid across surfaces, into carriers, and lids/tops removed and replaced.

Authentic pieces, unless stored away in some crate on some shelf and never moved, or still sealed with contents should show some sign of usage and wear. Many items like early oil fill bottles and store canisters would have been refilled and used many times.

The bottles in question fall into a time frame where they probably wouldn't have been refilled so if treated well when used could show minimal wear.

Authenticating them is the key. Does a "known good" example use the same style and finish W978 marked bottle? Does the litho print match the good example. Bleeding of the printing may indicate the jar as a 2nd or reject, authentic but not used and discarded. Up at the old corning factory in NY you could find rejects galore in the old days of all types.

I wouldn't plunk down serious money until you personally are satisfied with their authenticity. I don't know if any of the books out there on gas & oil go into specifics on many bottles. I'm sure the long time bottle collectors out there may be familiar with the bottle type to at least authenticate it.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have no idea if they are real or not. But I do know that multiple items in good condition still show up from time to time. While 2 showing up in great condition at once may be an indicator that they may be fakes, it should only be used as a possible indicator and not as the sole basis for saying it is a repo. As always, buyer beware...

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
From my experience, bottles above were for take home, replacing cans during WW2, not for refilling. MOST 2nds are recycled at the bottle manufacturer.
Fired on labels, not unusual to be in perfect condition.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not to step on anyones fingers or toes but I would say they are real. Yes it would be great to hold them in your hand to tell for sure but looking at all the photos makes me go with what I've seen in simular Pennzoil bottles and Like DB say's those fired on labels held up well and I can't see repops going that far. IMO.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The beginning of this thread is a good example of why opinions shouldn't be thrown around for the sake of just posting. Need to learn to walk before attempting to run.

Takes more skill and experience than just looking at pictures and then taking a guess....unless that's the reputation you want.

I don't care, how many repro signs, real signs or bottles you have held. You can look, touch, feel and taste (if you like) all you want, but that is going to do very little to help you in determining authenticity. No substitute for experience and being familiar with the history. Takes years to learn that...you have to put in your time.

I could have posted on this two days ago...but I would have been guessing. Simply, because I'm not familiar with Sunoco, I own some original Sunoco fired on labeled oil bottles...that alone doesn't make me an expert or gives me the right to guess the authenticity of the bottles in question.

Bad information, is worse than no information!

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Thu Dec 27 2012 07:51 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF our forefathers lived like we do today, these items wouldn't be around for future generations to collect.
Today just as soon as it's empty/broken, it's Trashed. Back then bottles, cans, pumps, signs, etc. were saved as they Might need the item to fix a roof, patch the floor, bottle the extra moon shine, fix the plumbing, etc.

Globes were just to pretty to throw away.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave, you said it very well once again. So true

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Okay, I've got 2 questions.
I've seen people post before about how bottles were used during WWII because of all the metal going to the war effort.

Am I then correct to think that bottles were never used before the war?

And, as soon as the war ended, did they go back to cans?

Steve Coppens
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Bulk oil glass quart bottles were used for years before and after the war ended. I don't know if you're questioning brand specific oil bottles, but of course they exist, Standard, Sunoco, Shell, Pure Tiolene, etc. that are embossed with the company name/logos. They were intended for bulk oil dispensing at the stations whereas cans were more for the public to buy and take home, before and after the 1940's.
I don't know if anyone has "studied" the use of the glass bottles that were specifically made during war-time. I don't know if they were used at the beginning or end of the war, but in the case of Mobiloil, the ads used during that time always show cans, but they did produce glass jar packaging of the same design. I also have a Standard Lubrite glass jar. Unfortunately they do not have any date code information to help pin down a date of manufacture.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Great info as always Darin! This answered another question for me.
I have two oil can books that both have the Dynalube brand showing up in 1946 (post war). Granted this is a pretty broad stroked piece of information, but with what you said about bottles going post war, it at least tells me that the Dynalube brand and the use of bottles could have co-existed.

Last edited by SC62; Fri Dec 28 2012 07:14 AM.

Steve Coppens
Online Cool
Stippling, the bumpy finish on the base of bottles and jars, was popular from post WWII to the mid-1950s and faded out as newer and faster machines were introduced. While there are still some stippled jar bases now, they were few and far between before WWII.

I would be wary of any oil bottle/jar that did not have the "Fill to line" embossing on it, but there were some marine/2 cycle original bottles that did not have that line.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've always been leery of bottles that advertised Multi-grades on the bottles....

The research I've done, doesn't support "Multi-grade" oil being advertised before 1953....

Veedol, a leader in the "field" did not make or sell "Multi-grade" Oil before the later half of 1953 and the 1954 Veedol Lubrication Guide was their first to make mention of 10-30SAE Motor Oil....

As such, I've stayed away from any bottle that signify "Multi-grade" Oil....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Hmm.... Very very interesting info Bob!!!

Steve Coppens
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Here's an interesting read on Torco's website about multi-grade oil for racing.

Torco history of multigrade oil.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That Torco link was an awesome read!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Veedol High Detergency would be considered now a multi-grade...

But, like the Torco... The Society of American Engineers had not upgraded the Standards for Motor Oil.... So the oil was advertised as "single grade Motor Oil".....

Torco Racing Oil is a "staple" in the Sport... My Dad used it in the 60s in his SCCA A SEDAN/TRANS AM car and I used it in my racing cart and in the 1/4 Midget in the later 60s.... Later used it in the SCCA, IMSA and Vintage Racing cars....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Wow!! 170965161456 is up to $255 with 3 days to go!!

Steve Coppens
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved