Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

THANKS!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Back on the 19th of december, there was a member from up in the Iron Range in Minnesota, that posted some "VERY" early Standard Oil wooden signs that he was asking for a value on and indicated that he was willing to sell one!

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=60534&Number=379035#Post379035

Well, to make a long story short, he responded to my email and I was able to strike a deal on both of the signs! These are from the "VERY" earliest days of Standard Oil! These signs were from 1911 or earlier and are marked as an "Indiana Corporation" which was before the breakup of Standard Oil in 1911 and are documented as having been in the basement of the sellers house since 1916! They are even stamped "Standard Oil" on the backs of the signs, to indicate that they were the property of Standard Oil!
I can't imagine being able to own a piece of Standard Oil history that dates back to the John D Rockefeller years! I am cheezed over these 2 pieces! Enjoy!

Standard Oil signs 001.JPG Standard Oil signs 003.JPG Standard Oil signs 005.JPG

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Got a near Nos Pure Oil truckstop lobby lighted sign from a fellow old-gasser for my collection.

IMG_0044 (2).jpg IMG_0043 (2).jpg
Last edited by Mike M.; Sun Jan 13 2013 06:23 PM.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
MIKE THAT'S A BEAUTY!

Love those light ups! smile

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
Looks Great Mike, Those are some nice early wood signs Kevin I have one similier myself.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Picked up this arrow

And this nos sign

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kevin you just never stop with good stuff and great finds. I wish I had someone calling me all the time with good stuff.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Here is my find, Texaco DSP 42". Really nice condition.

Texaco 42.jpg

Camron
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
Back on the 19th of december, there was a member from up in the Iron Range in Minnesota, that posted some "VERY" early Standard Oil wooden signs that he was asking for a value on and indicated that he was willing to sell one!

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=60534&Number=379035#Post379035

Well, to make a long story short, he responded to my email and I was able to strike a deal on both of the signs! These are from the "VERY" earliest days of Standard Oil! These signs were from 1911 or earlier and are marked as an "Indiana Corporation" which was before the breakup of Standard Oil in 1911 and are documented as having been in the basement of the sellers house since 1916! They are even stamped "Standard Oil" on the backs of the signs, to indicate that they were the property of Standard Oil!
I can't imagine being able to own a piece of Standard Oil history that dates back to the John D Rockefeller years! I am cheezed over these 2 pieces! Enjoy!

...neat signs to be sure, Kevin - but wouldn't the 'Indiana' date them as AFTER the breakup? Standard isn't my forte, but I would have thought that earlier signs would just say 'Standard Oil'...I'm sure there's a dated photo of a truck with these signs somewhere...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have been adding to the collection with a Texaco 5-year award, a Kayo gallon to go with my oiler, and three early imperial gallons: Oneida, Firestone and Chryco. Also picked up another 4 foot oak showcase on my way home from an antique show in November at a small town store. The price was right and I couldn't leave it behind. I was hoping I could squeeze just one more showcase into the basement and I guess I did it. My Imperial 3-star and red ball items were getting too crowded in the another showcase and I thought if I got another one I could put all the white, red and blue 3-star Imperial and the Imperial Esso Products items together. Once I get the 3-star dealer sign hung on the wall above, it should be complete. Cheers, Don.

o1-1.jpg o2-2.jpg o3.jpg o4.jpg o6.jpg
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
One more photo. Cheers, Don.

o5.jpg
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Gulfiend

Wouldn't these signs be large for a truck ? 10 feet X 18" just thinking out loud.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Nice signs Kevin.You know it's not good business to store all your valuables in one spot,sometimes it's best to spread them out like maybe one in Mississippi! LOL

Always looking for Mississippi company items, Billups, southland, ride with rose.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wondered where that Firestone can went. I wanted it.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sorry Matt, but we have to keep all the good Canadian stuff in Canada to avoid being overrun by all the junk made in China that Walmart keeps bringing in. lol. Cheers, Don.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Every one here has some outstanding stuff on here tonight.

Not much for me lately. Just had the one chip in the spray and good gloss,hard to tell from the picture.

Picked this little pump plate, kind of hard to find in this size:
8 X 12

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Showcase Feature Host
Showcase Feature Host
Here is my find for the week, I rescued this Tokheim 36b yesterday. Kw very cool signs Good find!!

IMG_0736.jpg
Last edited by Big Block Cat; Sun Jan 13 2013 09:21 PM. Reason: added discription

Wanted anything Flying A Gas, Signal Gas, Hancock oil co, and Sunland.

Thanks Anthony
JGD Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Had fun finding some smalls

image.jpg

Jon
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Got a couple Calso's (the one will have to do till I find a better one,(hint)). and a Chevron. Great items this week guys !

2013-01-11 12.11.40.jpg

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: blacktee
Gulfiend

Wouldn't these signs be large for a truck ? 10 feet X 18" just thinking out loud.

...maybe, maybe not...I'm not sure whether the signs are for a truck, or if they pre-date the Standard break-up - I was just thinking out loud too grin ...here's a link to some old truck photos:

http://craunf.org/PictureMar2011.htm

...looks like some of those truck beds could be that long...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
LSx Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I went to college in Pittsburg, KS and Big Brutus is a site to see no doubt. There are strip pits everywhere down in S.E Kansas and when mining faded away mother nature filled the strip pits with water and the locals now stock them. Made for some good fishing.

-Brian
LSx Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
To the OP, those Standard Oil signs are flat out awesome. I would love to have one. Very cool

-Brian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Love those old delivery truck photos! Just awesome! The owner of the house the Standard signs were found in gave me the following information from his research---

"Did some research and found out they stopped using the word corporation on their signs after the break up of Standard Oil in 1911. I also contacted the old owners of our house and they said those shelves were there since the house was built in 1916 and the signs would have to be older than that".

I have a signed lettern from the owner of the house that documents the 2 signs having been in that house since 1916. I also went to the courthouse in that town and looked for pictures of the old business that they came from. I found pictures of the outside of the building and the signs were not on the outside of the building. I didn't have time for more research, or I would have hit the newspaper archives! I plan on doing a little more research and hope to find an old photo of them in use! Hope! Hope! Hope!
Thanks for all the nice comments on these 2 signs. I really feel that its a priveledge to be able to own them and display them in my collection!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...Kevin, they're nice signs...they're very old and in nice condition...nothing I wrote denigrates the signs in any way...

...I read the old post...I couldn't find the earlier one where they were offered for sale...

...I just dispute the pre-1911 date, and the statement that the signs have to be exactly as old as the house...'wow, those shelves are old - I'll bet they're about as old as the house' can be turned into 'they're as old as the house' easily...and if it was an eyewitness account, well, I'd be hard-pressed to accept the accuracy of the average 100-year-old's recollection of something as insignificant as precisely when shelves were built - especially if they were 4 at the time - unless there was some incredibly memorable event tied to them being built, like "Uncle Ferb had a heart attack when he was building those shelves and died on the spot"...

...even if the signs are from 1920, or 1925 - does that make them any less interesting?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice stuff guys!

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Liking that PURE sign light Mike M.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Here is some amazing pictures of tanker trucks from the early 1900's.
There is zerolene signs similar to Kevins!
Several different company trucks with signs!
Check them out!!!
Pictures of Tanker Trucks

Tom
219-778-3155
signchaser@comcast.net
Looking for early wolfshead signs and hoosier pete signs or globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
... I'd be hard-pressed to accept the accuracy of the average 100-year-old's recollection of something as insignificant as precisely when shelves were built - especially if they were 4 at the time - unless there was some incredibly memorable event tied to them being built, like "Uncle Ferb had a heart attack when he was building those shelves and died on the spot"....

I have an aunt that is approaching 100 and she remembers everything...Local paper ran a story about a flood in 46 and she called them to correct some of the details. She was right. She also remembers dates for the most mundane items as well. Like when my uncle build a new grain elevator, she knew it was in August (of 57 no less) becasue she remembered they went and did some fishing for a vacation when he finished..... they may rememerb exactly when the shelves went in as they may have used them for storing canning jars of food....just saying.

Last edited by Alex; Mon Jan 14 2013 01:12 PM. Reason: spellcheck

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice stuff everyone!
My only buy this week was this Mobiloil "Mobiltop" upperlube.
Should have a little measuring cup on top - luckily I have an extra ;-)
//Claes

Another Mobiltop.jpg
Mobiltop 1950

Mobiltop blandarmått.jpg
Mesuring cup

Last edited by fast66; Mon Jan 14 2013 03:51 PM.
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
My Finds For past few weeks.

100_3167.jpg
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Nothing real special but here are my buys. First is a Goodrich tire sign from Galesburg IL so it a local piece for me. Then is a big Gargoyle sign that measures in at 8 foot X 4 foot. Last is the 80 gallon Wayne air compressor I got at a auction this weekend. Now I can be part of the compressor club on Old Gas LoL smile Need to find a water slide decal to replace mine.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thonis quart oil can

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By: blacktee
Gulfiend

...maybe, maybe not...I'm not sure whether the signs are for a truck, or if they pre-date the Standard break-up - I was just thinking out loud too grin ...here's a link to some old truck photos:

http://craunf.org/PictureMar2011.htm

...looks like some of those truck beds could be that long...

Great Link, Thanks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My resent buys:

Got Socony???

Tom
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Few new 5 quart cans -- couple rare but rough-thanks don

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cardboard Gulf gas pump bank I picked up last week. Is there such thing as a Gulf Crest pump plate ? I have never seen one.

005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG
Last edited by 60wayne; Wed Jan 16 2013 02:34 PM.
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Some items from a recent purchase.

Mike Hudson
303-916-3907
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Boy! I wonder who's car is still running on their original Kathanode battery, lol?! I bet it would be tough to find a warranty center these days....
Nice sign though, attractive art deco colors!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: 60wayne
Cardboard Gulf gas pump bank I picked up last week. Is there such thing as a Gulf Crest pump plate ? I have never seen one.

From what I understand Gulf Crest was not a pump sign but a decal. Very rare non the less.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cormy, there were decals on Gulf Crest , ( 1958-63 ) . Ed Shaver

Last edited by eshaver; Thu Jan 17 2013 11:54 PM.

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I've never seen a Gulf Crest pump sign, or a photo of one...I know 'the books' say there was a sign, but until I see one, I'm extremely skeptical...

...that said - I'm looking for one...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My buy......

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Nice stuff every body!!!!!!11

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
...I've never seen a Gulf Crest pump sign, or a photo of one...I know 'the books' say there was a sign, but until I see one, I'm extremely skeptical...

...that said - I'm looking for one...

After checking my picture files I came up this one smile

Gulf Crest.jpg

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like a Gulf Crest decal to me but hard to tell. Thanks for finding the add. Always learning something new in this hobby.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...yeah, I've seen the pics of decals, and there was a pump with a well-worn decal at Columbus a while back...but no SIGNS...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved