Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#387636 Mon Jan 21 2013 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Is this what the Members want Oldgas to be?

The Showcase Forum when I first started lurking on Oldgas and when I became a Member... Was just that... The Showcase of the site... It was a place where Members shared photos of their Collections, now it is a place where Members can show their "Cut out Dolls"...

The Showcase Forum was a place that Information and History could and would be shared... Now it is a place for Members to paint a wagon.. Throw a few decals on it and somehow that is the "Site's Showcase"?

That is the best, new Members can come up with?

Instead of helping the 'site, it makes the site look like a joke and that is not just my opinion!.....

Take some damn pride in the site and more IMPORTANTLY IN YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawn(s932), is trying to get the COTM(Company Of The Month) up and running again.... Unfortunately for him, I volunteered to "host" the first couple of months... I know that a number of Members won't post images, because they don't like me, my attitude and even my time in the Hobby... I am sorry for that Shawn and Oldgas as a whole... I'm not doing this for myself, I wanted to "give back" to the Oldgas Community and the Hobby...

I was hoping that Members would come forward and get Oldgas back "on track".... I'm not sure if Members have come forward, I hope so...

Mick (oldnfuelish), has worked hard to get the FATW(Found Along The Way) Feature back up... Instead of posting photos in his thread, Members start their own threads... Why not as a Membership post in his feature thread?

Kenny (publicenemy1925) started the thread "Great Old Pics" almost 2 years ago... Some "New Members" have started their own threads in "competition" instead of posting in Kenny's thread...

WHY? Why,instead of supporting those who have worked hard to start a Feature... Do you need to start a thread that competes?

Why instead of posting "Non-Petro" in the NON-PETRO BOTM... Do you feel the need to post it in the BOTW, which has ALWAYS BEEN for PETRO RELATED ITEMS?

People you are turning Oldgas into a "Garage Sale" site, instead of a "Petro Site".....(my opinion)

I understand that the purpose of the Membership on Oldgas has "changed" somewhat, from when I found the site...

"New Members" if you don't believe it, go back 7-10 years and read the threads and compare them to what is being posted now... Some of those who joined during the time period, I just mentioned are trying to "take" Oldgas forward to that time again...

When I started on Oldgas, Jim and the Membership talked about the History of the Hobby... Now we talk about "cut-out" dolls... Made up posters.... Red wagons, painted teal...

Maybe Oldgas and the Hobby, HAS passed me by....Maybe I am a dinosaur and I am behind the times....

I see so many Collectors who have hundreds of years of Experience who have walked away from Oldgas... I know that a good portion of them are still in the Hobby... I talk to them by email, on the phone, (I'm not really on Facebook, but I'm told a number of them show their "new finds" on it)... etc....

The Membership, had better ask themselves WHY... Why are those with a "ton" of experience and history in the hobby... Why are they walking away from Oldgas... And then look long and hard in the mirror.... Are you the reason they are "walking away"?....

I have "driven" some Members away! And for that I am truly sorry... I should never have that much influence and power, on anyone else!!!!!!!!!!

Oldgas, is becoming a site, I don't recognize and honestly one I am not enjoying as much as I did even a few short years ago...

Instead of sharing history... Too many are sharing "*****" (my opinion).....

It is time for the Membership to decide, if this is the Oldgas they want? Or do they want the site to go back to a "true" Petro site? (again my opinion)....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Two thumbs up
Go Petro!!!

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
To quote Mahatma gandhi "Be the change you want to see in the (OLDGAS) world".

Hunt long and hard the good stuff still out there.
Jonathan lowry.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob, you and Shawn are doing a great Job on COTM it is great that you guys brought it back. And it was great to see Mick bring back FATW. Publicenemy1925's "Great Old Pictures" is one of my favorites threads on the site. And I always look forward to BOTW that Doc hosts. These are all great threads and glad you guys donate your time to the site for these.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Love the pictures and the knowledge of so many on here that help me in restoring pumps.

Craig
F
F
Eventually all things are tainted because this is a flea market and always has and will be. No deals here ever or knowledge. Longer people join this more junk will present its self with no addition of information, and then eventually a member will post a long rant and rave knowing no one can and will do anything. This is a Facebook petro based site all this is. post a picture of a pony if ya want!!! Here is a picture of a tree... I agree this site is garbage...and there is no going back.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Is this what the Members want Oldgas to be?

The Showcase Forum when I first started lurking on Oldgas and when I became a Member... Was just that... The Showcase of the site... It was a place where Members shared photos of their Collections, now it is a place where Members can show their "Cut out Dolls"...

The Showcase Forum was a place that Information and History could and would be shared... Now it is a place for Members to paint a wagon.. Throw a few decals on it and somehow that is the "Site's Showcase"?

That is the best, new Members can come up with?

Instead of helping the 'site, it makes the site look like a joke and that is not just my opinion!.....

Take some damn pride in the site and more IMPORTANTLY IN YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawn(s932), is trying to get the COTM(Company Of The Month) up and running again.... Unfortunately for him, I volunteered to "host" the first couple of months... I know that a number of Members won't post images, because they don't like me, my attitude and even my time in the Hobby... I am sorry for that Shawn and Oldgas as a whole... I'm not doing this for myself, I wanted to "give back" to the Oldgas Community and the Hobby...

I was hoping that Members would come forward and get Oldgas back "on track".... I'm not sure if Members have come forward, I hope so...

Mick (oldnfuelish), has worked hard to get the FATW(Found Along The Way) Feature back up... Instead of posting photos in his thread, Members start their own threads... Why not as a Membership post in his feature thread?

Kenny (publicenemy1925) started the thread "Great Old Pics" almost 2 years ago... Some "New Members" have started their own threads in "competition" instead of posting in Kenny's thread...

WHY? Why,instead of supporting those who have worked hard to start a Feature... Do you need to start a thread that competes?

Why instead of posting "Non-Petro" in the NON-PETRO BOTM... Do you feel the need to post it in the BOTW, which has ALWAYS BEEN for PETRO RELATED ITEMS?

People you are turning Oldgas into a "Garage Sale" site, instead of a "Petro Site".....(my opinion)

I understand that the purpose of the Membership on Oldgas has "changed" somewhat, from when I found the site...

"New Members" if you don't believe it, go back 7-10 years and read the threads and compare them to what is being posted now... Some of those who joined during the time period, I just mentioned are trying to "take" Oldgas forward to that time again...

When I started on Oldgas, Jim and the Membership talked about the History of the Hobby... Now we talk about "cut-out" dolls... Made up posters.... Red wagons, painted teal...

Maybe Oldgas and the Hobby, HAS passed me by....Maybe I am a dinosaur and I am behind the times....

I see so many Collectors who have hundreds of years of Experience who have walked away from Oldgas... I know that a good portion of them are still in the Hobby... I talk to them by email, on the phone, (I'm not really on Facebook, but I'm told a number of them show their "new finds" on it)... etc....

The Membership, had better ask themselves WHY... Why are those with a "ton" of experience and history in the hobby... Why are they walking away from Oldgas... And then look long and hard in the mirror.... Are you the reason they are "walking away"?....

I have "driven" some Members away! And for that I am truly sorry... I should never have that much influence and power, on anyone else!!!!!!!!!!

Oldgas, is becoming a site, I don't recognize and honestly one I am not enjoying as much as I did even a few short years ago...

Instead of sharing history... Too many are sharing "*****" (my opinion).....

It is time for the Membership to decide, if this is the Oldgas they want? Or do they want the site to go back to a "true" Petro site? (again my opinion)....

Bob, I really agree with ya . I'll remain silent as to further comments as I've already riled enough here in times past . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well said Bob, it's great to see someone with balls telling it how it is.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Bob,
I agree with most of the stuff you said, but it is not only Old Gas that is changing, it is the complete hobby.

I attended the show at Columbia, MO this past weekend and you wouldn't believe how many barn hanger signs were there. This and many other things that we used to kick out of the way to get to the good stuff.

Almost every sign I saw being carried out the door was plastic.

Is all the good old original stuff gone or is it the price that has made stuff from the 1980s "neat items?"

A little tightening of the rules would help, but what we cannot change is attitute.

Jack Sim
jhsim@petrocollect.com

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I think the name calling is what we do not want and If you can show us how to make this better than we will most likely follow your lead. In reference to the poster from Rocky top.

Last edited by Craig Osbeck; Mon Jan 21 2013 03:52 PM.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...Bob, I can't think of anything you've posted that would cause anyone to leave Oldgas...if you have, it's not about the amount of 'power' you're wielding, but about how thin their skin is...

...no one who's serious about this stuff would let a comment or two - or even an Oldgas member or two - keep them from tapping into the potential of this site...

...I know there are times (daytime and nighttime) when some of the posts on Oldgas drive me crazy - because the questions posed are easily answered elsewhere; metaphysically impossible to answer ("is this interesting?" confused ); or one of a handful of people, posting 'wish I could afford that' or 'nice sign' after just about every For Sale or Showcase post...'participating' but not adding anything substantive to the discussion...

...I'm on Oldgas because collecting this stuff is in my bones...anyone who's known me a long time, knows that it's my passion in life...I want to learn things I don't know, see things I haven't seen, make my Gulf collection the best in the world if I can, and 'make room' for new additions...if I can help a true collector who has posted asking for info or an item, I'll comment on their post...I know I'm going to make friends, and adversaries, in the process...that's just life...I'll be damned if I'm going to lose any sleep over being on someone's 'ignore' list...that's their loss...I'm not here to tell anyone the ghastly paint scheme they chose for their gas pump is just peachy...that doesn't help anyone in the long run...

...and then there's the Value forum...crazy

...I would guess that problem with people starting new threads instead of adding to the old ones, might be that they are new members and aren't aware that there IS an original thread...a suggestion: maybe if those threads were 'fixed' at the top of the list, they would be accessed and added to as new info came along?...perhaps this has already been tried, I don't know...it just occurred to me that it might help reduce the problem...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
I think the name calling is what we do not want and If you can show us how to make this better than we will most likely follow your lead. In reference to the poster from Rocky top.

...Craig, if he really thinks the site is 'garbage', I wonder why he's wasting his time here...he's posted 10 times, in the year he's been on Oldgas...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
I forgot to mark my calendar. Is it odd-numbered Mondays when we start a new topic about how this site, the hobby and all the people are going to **** in a handbasket?

The moderators just can't immediately deal with every thing that concerns everyone. Recently we did move several non-petro things to Non-Petro. We did combine several topics that were about the same thing into one topic. No lives were in jeopardy, no blood was shed, but there was some weeping and gnashing of teeth. Your results may vary.

I hear from more members who say they don't participate as much because of seeing posts with bickering and complaining than any other reason.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Bob, 2 thumbs up for that!!!!!! Want to help in anyway to make this site better. It is not all about the who has more, and who's stuff is better, it is about the people. Just MO. People have helped me allot(Bob, Darin Shiffer, Oldgas, and a few others).

Thanks
Noah

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One of the things I see myself advising new members (when I can almost see their hackles raising at the way they are being addressed right off)quite frequently is to develop a thick skin rather than writing this site off immediately because someone treated them in a less than courteous manner right off the bat.

If I went looking, I could probably pick this site apart, but what's the point? Instead, let me commend those who manage and participate in this less than perfect refuge some of us (in varying degrees) escape into from our less than perfect real worlds. In the end, all we can be held accountable for is our actions, not what we perceive as the imperfect actions of others.

Yes, Jim, a member told me this weekend that he hardly ever comes on the site any more because it has gotten to be too much like a bunch of old women fussing. smile

Last edited by Dave Richey; Mon Jan 21 2013 04:49 PM.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved