Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I am new here.

I agree with Brad67.

I also have an old car that is not a corvette!

I liken this to deer hunting. It is really cool to see somebody shoot a monster buck but it is even neater to see the young kid shoot his/her first doe!

As a hunter of both critters and petrolina its the 'hunt' that counts not always the 'kill'. That's why it's called hunting and not killing.

It takes all levels of expertise to further a sport. And this is Definately a 'sport'.

Don't sweat the small stuff and stop to smell the little rose bushes as you walk thru the woods while you are enjoying the mighty oak!

and most importantly know that the 'stinky old skunk' still can have many wonderful qualities even if it can.....well you know!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Is this what you want your general petroliana section to be???? Jim i kindly ask you to move this to none petro lol. General petro is about question and coments about gas station and automotive service stuff. History And how too's. And this is a thread about the internet and how its changeing and belongs in non petro. This is not what i want my general petro discussion to be i want it to be about petro.

Jim this was a joke im not demanding that you do anything. But it is true.

Last edited by Rust and Dust; Wed Jan 23 2013 06:29 AM.

Hunt long and hard the good stuff still out there.
Jonathan lowry.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bobs just trying to protect the sight from getting watered down with fantasy junk, flea mrkt items and a playground for guys that arent serious about collecting and just want to make a quick buck off the lastest "hot" area of collecting,I think. He's not talking about proudly displayed original items that are in poor condition or not "expensive". He is both a veteran collector and a armed service veteran. He fights for what he believes in and loves. We need more Bobs. And less flash in the pans.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Why did I post some 'good' insight! as a new-comer

I guess I'll go back into the shadows....

I was sent this nasty message because I was totally misinterpreted:

no this hobby for a few is not just sport.........i've been member here for over 10 years & have bought and sold this ***** for over 25 years and its my full time job.......Its really cool to see something being killed??? if you really think like this you are one sick bastard...do it for the meat not the trophy or enjoyment of seeing something being killed!!! wow wow wow, its really something to imangine that there are people like you around...I'm from Mn also and was born and raised up on a resort in Grand Rapids so i grew up killing, trapping, hunting, fishing, however i can proudly say that i do not enjoy killing, but will do it to survive !!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
it is really

Last edited by roadrelics; Wed Jan 23 2013 06:50 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Dont focus on the negative people like that. You know full and well what kind of guy the person that posted that. Hes a bs artist. If he grew up hunting he would understand exactly what you said. Because i do. When i shoot a big bucki cut his head off and then begin eating him butt checks first.

Last edited by Rust and Dust; Wed Jan 23 2013 07:18 AM.

Hunt long and hard the good stuff still out there.
Jonathan lowry.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: rogerg
Why did I post some 'good' insight! as a new-comer

I guess I'll go back into the shadows....

I was sent this nasty message because I was totally misinterpreted:

no this hobby for a few is not just sport.........i've been member here for over 10 years & have bought and sold this ***** for over 25 years and its my full time job.......Its really cool to see something being killed??? if you really think like this you are one sick bastard...do it for the meat not the trophy or enjoyment of seeing something being killed!!! wow wow wow, its really something to imangine that there are people like you around...I'm from Mn also and was born and raised up on a resort in Grand Rapids so i grew up killing, trapping, hunting, fishing, however i can proudly say that i do not enjoy killing, but will do it to survive !!!!

Roger, you're ok, I know exactly what you meant. We helped a young teenage boy this past fall harvest his first deer (a doe) The excitement, passion, and pure satisfaction we saw on his face when he was a successful hunter was worth all the time we spent getting him ready. You didn't say you liked killing, you said you liked seeing someone else experience success at hunting.

As a rookie, you now understand how the site here works and why many veterans don't post as much.

M
M
After reading this post and the followup comments, I will offer my opinion. The Showcase Forum has and still is an interesting portion of this site and the historical information has been very beneficial. The lack of pictures is due to the fact that repro signs and globes are coming to the market and are being made very closely to the originals they are being copied from. This site and its various forums show many pictures and even describe to the repro makers where the mistakes are as compared to the original. This is why many veteran collectors such as myself do not post pictures. I do not like visitors to my collection taking pictures, unless I know them very well. Thanks to the internet, pictures of gas & oil memorabilia are more readily available then they were 10-15 years ago, thus leading to the ever growing repro market.

There were many comments made in Bob's original post and the comment made about "Collectors who have hundreds of years of Experience who have walked away", this comment applies to me, in that I do not post very often. I for one DO NOT LIKE ALL THE NAME CALLING & CONTINUOUS BICKERING THAT TAKES PLACE ON THIS SITE ON A REGULAR BASIS! This is how most of the long term collectors I talk to feel about this site. For those of us that have been collecting for many years, we didn't have a site like this to gather information, we went to shows and talked face-to-face with other collectors and we learned, listened and made life long relationships by doing this. With that being said, maybe I too am the dinosaur you described. I like personal interaction, not sitting behind a keyboard. I like seeing this stuff up close and attending the various shows. Old fashion, maybe, but the friendships I have made in the last 27 years are invaluable.

Oldgas.com and its various Forums will continue, but some of us will be more selective in the topics we read and join in on.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Showcase forum is probably my favorite spot on Oldgas. I don't care if you are a newbie with barn hangers and a couple of common quarts and oilers or a seasoned collector showing some true gems. I love it all. Repopers have slowed the posting of rare items and that's a shame but a sad reality. This is like TV or radio. If you don't like it change the channel.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What are all of ya gonna do when Jim get's Really Tired of all this BICKERING & SHUTS DOWN OLDGAS?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: bustermonty
Showcase forum is probably my favorite spot on Oldgas. I don't care if you are a newbie with barn hangers and a couple of common quarts and oilers or a seasoned collector showing some true gems. I love it all. Repopers have slowed the posting of rare items and that's a shame but a sad reality. This is like TV or radio. If you don't like it change the channel.

Me too Greg! I love it all!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I have been a member for several years; however my activity on the site varies greatly and is often dependent on my project or interest of the day. I may be one of the younger members being in my 40’s. Most of this gas stuff was history before I was born. Yet my fascination with muscle cars and memorabilia of the era has brought me here. My small collection of gas items has some original and some reproductions. What I do have provides a bit of joy each day I pass my collection.

People collect because they have an emotional attachment to an object. The things people collect are as different as the people that have the collections. Be it an oil can from the 1930’s, an ice scraper from the 50’s, or a reproduction item; they are all items that someone has developed a bond with that perhaps triggers a good memory.

The arguments may start because people have this special bond with their collection and can’t help but feel frustrated that others don’t appreciate it as much as they do. The point here is why criticize, if someone posts a photo of a reproduction sign or a rare high dollar sign, enjoy it. If it bugs you, click past it. Keep the showcase a showcase of photos and not opinions. There are other places to debate a topic or an item. While the item someone posts may not be anything you’re interested in collecting, it gives someone some joy. It may also make you a more rounded person knowing that the item exists and someone is trying to preserve a little bit of the past.

Just my two cents...

-Dave-
Collects Dino era Sinclair & Mopar items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Bob,

You do seem to have a talent for posting topics that generate extended discussions so to speak.Personally,I think it is a good thing to "clear the air"around here once in awhile so that we can all move forward in enjoying the aspects of the hobby that appeal to each of us the most.

I do believe that you,as do I,have a real dedication to the hobby in general and OLDGAS in particular.The hobby is changing,and it is going to continue to do so IMO.I think discussions such as this are a necessary part of understanding the hobby we all love and how we choose to participate in it.

Wendell

Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
What are all of ya gonna do when Jim get's Really Tired of all this BICKERING & SHUTS DOWN OLDGAS?

LOL

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe a "Originals Showcase" and a "Fantasy/Repro Showcase" and a "Worn but Tasty Showcase" if the mods would be so inclined to think about stuff like that.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved