Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#387190 Sat Jan 19 2013 07:43 PM
A
OP Offline
A
I have 2 cast iron highway signs, how do I tell if there real or repro? They've been painted, so they look new. There both Iowa highways. One is round "Iowa 74" and the other is shield "Iowa US 61". Any help would be appreciated.

Aaron

aaronfab #387196 Sat Jan 19 2013 08:01 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
they are likely real mccoys...most i find are paintless or repainted...to my knowledge they havent been popped... They are HEAVY smile

Wanted: Husky Cans/Signs, Interesting Pump Plates and NC Road Signage

Website www.petrojoe.com
aaronfab #387198 Sat Jan 19 2013 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Someone is recasting large iron signs and aging them. I have seen several. There is a difference in the texture of the casting. Older castings will have a smoother..."more" worn look and not so grainy.When I worked in a foundry...my boss could tell by hitting a piece and listening to the sound that it produced...no joke.
I AM NOT SAYING THAT YOUR SIGNS ARE RECENT...I don't have a clue what you have...I am saying that someone is casting large pieces in gray iron. CAVEAT EMPTOR
Dave Jones

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
A
OP Offline
A
Is there something in particular I should look for to make the call whether or not their real? I haven't been able to find much info online about this type of signs.

Aaron

aaronfab #388665 Thu Jan 24 2013 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
And you probably won't. You will have to make the call...just like any other item. Use good judgement, common sense and your own knowledge and intuition. Is the seller reputable? Are they priced at the top ?
Howe about some some photos?
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
A
OP Offline
A
I already have these signs. I bought them at a garage sale really cheap. They are the right size and weight, have obviously been recently painted, but I don't have enough experiance with this type of signs to know what to look for. Casting marks, special measurments, exact weight, etc? I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

Aaron

aaronfab #388720 Fri Jan 25 2013 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you got them cheap...you are OK ! lol
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
A
OP Offline
A
? I wasn't asking if I'm OK. I'm asking how to tell if their real or not. The difference in value is substantial. I'll be keeping them but, still want to know the value.

Aaron

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved