Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well it has been to long since we have had a "Globe of the Month" feature. There was another post awhile back about what became of some of our "of the Month" features and various theories were given. Quite honestly the biggest factor for me is time. It was an extremely busy (as well as a hot and dry)summer and I plannned on starting up again in the fall but as you can tell that season, as well as the holidays came and went. Oh well, better late than not at all!

For this months feature lets see ALL the globes you purchased in 2012. Here are a few of ours. Lately we have been focusing on small Michigan companies and I was fortunant to get into an old time collection of a Michigan collector who was scaling back.

White Star was a 1920s Michigan marketer from Detroit that had over 1500 stations. Around 1930 they were bought out by SOCONY and they obviously were very intentional about dumping everthing when they reimaged. With that many stations a lot of globes were used but very few have survived to this day. To get a chance to buy 3 at once was a rare opportunity.

The Zephyr Ethyl is also an uncommon globe from Muskegon, Michigan and Speedway 79 was another Detroit marketer that was bought out by Marathon.

That's all for now, lets see all your 2012 globe purchases!

Thanks!!

Lonnie & Aaron

IMG_2743.JPG IMG_2748.JPG IMG_2747.JPG

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I didn't get to buy a lot of globes this year but I did manage to get a few

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for bringing this thread back it's my favorite

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Oops! Here is the Speedway 79 photo. The Osceola Regular above is from another small Michigan marketer and it joins the Osceola Premium that we have had for awhile. They are molded 1-piece plastic globes and did not hold up very well. The plastic had a tendency to crack and fade. It is uncomonnon to find these in good condition.

The McClanahan globe is from a very small Michigan company that later became part of Leonard Oil which was also a Michigan marketer.

Lets see what you have!

IMG_2749.JPG IMG_2750.JPG

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Very nice Globes. Great Idea.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Now THIS is a reason to join Old gas!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whew........... Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Couple more had to think back as to when I bought them lol. It's hard getting old

Shawn Morris
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I got the globe bug in 2012. Here are mine. All from the last couple months.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Anything MICHELIN and early graphic tin signs
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Last two. I threw in a pic of them all lit up. Obviously they Pittman globe is a repop. It was just too pretty not to have.

image.jpg image.jpg

Anything MICHELIN and early graphic tin signs
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I had to go back in my Kodak file to check and see which ones were purchased in 2012. I didn't buy too many globes in the last year, but I was very happy to add 3 different Marathon globes to my collection. I considered them a few of my buys of the year as my Marathon collection went from one globe to four, lol. I bought the "black T" Texaco, the Standard lens, as well as the Sky Chief back in February. The Sky Chief was listed as a repro and had the original box. It's the second original globe I've found listed that way, and both had the original boxes, so there was no question in my mind of authenticity. The 13.5" GULF was also purchased in 2012. I think you see less 13.5" globes than the 12.5" versions. That's it for me for last year! Hopefully this year will produce a couple globe finds.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Added 3 Pure Oil porcelain body Globes to my collection in 2012. Purol and Purol Pep from Iowa gas and the Xcel lenses from Lonnie Hop (Old Dutch) and a good body found at an auction sporting repop lenses.
I only had 6 original globes in my collection before but after these 3 in 2012, I look forward to collecting more.

Great idea Lonnie !!!

100_2860s.jpg
Last edited by Mike M.; Sat Jan 26 2013 06:26 PM.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
We were able to add this globe to our collection this year.. I was a bittersweet addition, it cam from a friends collection who passed away earlier in the year.. This globe is from the Red C Oil Company, based out of Baltimore in the 20's.. We rarely find anything for this company so it was a great addition to the collection.

og2.jpg
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Here are my globes for 2012. Not much at all smile

I bought a couple of these last year.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No not much at all brad just a white rose nothing special lol

Shawn Morris
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I know this isnt a globe but But a friend of mine got these last week and a local collector said that this was a local Station that only existed from 1904-1910 Im not sure at all but they are beautifull. And we were told that these are the only ones known to exist. If im wrong about that my bad.

Last edited by Rust and Dust; Sat Jan 26 2013 09:09 PM.

Hunt long and hard the good stuff still out there.
Jonathan lowry.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved