Next Thread
Print Thread
#389711 Mon Jan 28 2013 04:46 PM
O
oldz70 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
hello all;
where can i find info on correct colors? i don't have anything to restore but maybe an ECO meter and want to do it in either sunoco or gulf colors. i prefer powder coating and want the color to be as exact as possible.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

O
oldz70 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
i saw that but i don't want to buy the book because i don't have anything else to restore but the meter.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
How come the site never assembled a list of colors?

While you are correct about color matching a globe, sign or decal, the paint color number thing comes up way too often. Can a list be assembled and posted for those that want to ignore the warning?

Maybe its just one of those things that would be debated too much.

-Dave-
Collects Dino era Sinclair & Mopar items
O
oldz70 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
not only colors, but where to get them, paint codes. what about powder coating? how is that matched?
where you from dave? i mean area? i used to go to the coin op shows and peotone alot while living in aurora.

I have been matching colors and painting automotive for over 40 years. As paint technology and EPA requirements have changed, the color components of paint have changed. The old formulas just don't translate well to modern paint chemistry. It is guesswork. If you can find a chip in an old fleet color book or an old polished sign, a good auto paint supplier can find a close modern formula and adjust it to match what you need. They often have computer scanners to approximate the formula or just do it by eye.

Even with today's technology, new cars of the same color code don't precisely match each other. Much of the paint work done in body shops has to be adjusted by adding or leaving out toners. No reason to think that Gulf's paint suppliers all matched one another over the years either.

Searching through old topics on this forum will turn up questions and answers about color recommendations. Here's how:

Go to the Advanced Search form:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=search

To search:
* Type the words you want to search for in the "Keyword Search Terms" box (see tips below)
* Choose a Date Range. Recommended: Delete the 1 in the first "Newer than" box and select a blank space in the box that says "Week(s)" - Then enter a number and select "day, month or year" next to "Older Than"
* Click "Submit"

By selecting one forum only and some limits on the dates searched, you get results more quickly and more relevant. Example: Searching only in General Petroliana Discussion and only older than 1 year.

Advanced Search Tips
Use +keyword for required keywords.
Use -keyword to exclude posts with a keyword.
Use quotes around a phrase to search for a phrase.
Use a * at the end of the word to match partial words.

Example:
+gulf +color
will find only topics with BOTH those terms

gulf color
will find all topics that mention gulf OR color (not helpful)

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
O
oldz70 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
well i did a search and came up with nothing.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Using Original color codes is only good if your using Original signs/decals.
New Repop signs/decals DO NOT match original Paint Codes.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Years ago I found some Ditzler (PPG) fleet color codes on the web. I have no idea of their accuracy. Here is what I have for Gulf:
Blue = 10656
Blue = 12149
Blue = 11608
New Blue = 11936
Gulf Crest Purple = 50533
Orange = 60233
White = 8000

Sunoco:
1959 Blue = 12302
1959 Yellow = 81229
Yellow = 80248

As was said prior, match the color to a sign, glode or something. I have no idea of the accuacy of these numbers nor the year, so use with caution, but enjoy!

-Dave-
Collects Dino era Sinclair & Mopar items
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Years ago I searched for "original" Texaco colors. Went through one of the old paint books, they listed:

East coast red
West coast red
Inside red
Outside red
Truck red
and so on.

Which one is original?

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Jan 29 2013 10:10 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
In twenty years of restoring pumps, airmeters etc. I've developed colors that work for me. It was done, as said before many times, by matching color charts with decals, globes, signs.....It has taken years and many miles.....My answer, to this question, is to find a color that you like and use it. Life is way too short to waste on such an issue. My opinion as always. Paul www.severngaspumps.com by the way.....we do not share color codes with the public so please do not ask....

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved