Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39006 Tue Apr 04 2006 05:06 AM
D
dsmith Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I guess this comes under the heading if you dont ask you wont know. I am restoring a M&S80 and want to make it mobil red. Unable to find a script top, I decided to use a repop one, the standard one is a fiberglass white with inserts, I ask the vendor about painting the top red and she said the paint would not stick to it. Are you stuck with white if you use one of these tops or has anyone painted one before, I cant use a red pump with white top. I normally use single stage acrylic enamel.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#39007 Tue Apr 04 2006 05:17 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Doug...I hope you aren't referring to someone at my shop, let me know if you are, and I'll set them straight. The only problem I've had with the tops is that sometimes, you can crack out the paint on the corners, IF the fit is really tight. If you have to 'force' the top down over the frame-rails, you can spider-web the paint on the top. I suggest painting it attached to the frame (if you can) that takes what I described above off the table. Other than that, there is no problem painting the fiberglass, we use them a couple times a year and when they are done, they are gorgeous. You have to thump them to see if they aren't metal.

#39008 Tue Apr 04 2006 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seth, how do they fit on top of the pump? There was a post in January that spoke about the bad fit of the repro script tops, remember?
http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum1/HTML/007037.html

brgds
Claes

#39009 Wed Apr 05 2006 12:35 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Always trial fit your parts before you install them.Grinding on the frame rails might give you a little more room so you dont have such a tight fit.Primer the parts very good and block out to get the waves out.Good luck!

------------------

#39010 Wed Apr 05 2006 04:41 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Doug,
I just bought one of these from Seth and it fit just fine. Did have to do a little work to prep where the two halves came together. But other than that everything went well. Tony

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved