Print Thread
#393462 Mon Feb 11 2013 09:02 PM
B
buzzy56 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
B
Has anyone attempted to re-highlight a pump I.D. tag by spraying it lightly with black semi- gloss rattle can and then wiping off the letters and numbers with a flat putty knife wrapped in a tight knit rag ? Just want to highlight the info a little (300 tokheim).Hard to read. Only idea I have come up with.But experience always knows best! Give me your ideas.Do not want to replace it.Thanks for any help on this.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
buzzy56 #393464 Mon Feb 11 2013 09:09 PM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I spray them with a flat black paint then use steel wool or a fine sandpaper to take the paint off the high areas of text.

Bill Fortune
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
An old rubber stamp company I use to deliver to used black ink or paint, then glued or siliconed a handle or something on the back of the tag. When the handle was dry they used it to just wipe off on a ultra fine cloth or it was some kind of a cheese cloth when the ink was wet. I may have this reversed but the handle thing just came off with a razor blade when finished.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Robt. I have tried the rag idea, it just didn't work well for me. I do similar as Bill. I usually strip the tag, polish it. Then spray the tag. Let it dry. A very fine wet/dry type sand paper with a flat metal or hardwood backer. A few flat swipes across the face usually cleans the paint off the high areas pretty easily.
Don

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
B
buzzy56 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
B
Thanks all for the quick replys.I will attempt to spray flat black and let it dry.Then will take a flat sanding board with 1500 grit wet & dry paper to it.I really did not want to experiment with the original I.D. tag.
Thanks once again to all helpful hint's so far.My first pump and learning along the way with all you guy's help.
Great site and great people.I have my eye on a pump that is out of this world.Hopefully when I get this one done I can justify going after this old timer !

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
buzzy56 #393479 Mon Feb 11 2013 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's better to move the ID plate over the fine grit sand paper than to move the sandpaper over the ID plate.
I use my finger tips to move plate around, not a lot of pressure needed [LESS IS BEST].

B
buzzy56 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
B
As Sarah Palin USED to say Gotsha ! smile thanks.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved