Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I don't know how big the support base is ? But I hope you don't get to close to the perimeter with your anchors. Just a thought.

That sign alone is near 60 lbs, and the metal frame, it maybe putting stress on the base hanging out there. Okay I'll be quiet now. LOL

Doug

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
wow! that's a cool pole! (looks like a giant hand held clay pigeon thrower!)

I like the color of green on it also.

Last edited by rogerg; Tue Feb 12 2013 01:21 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Old Iron had ir right there. I was calling the side mount a shepards staff, when that is a totally different pole. The one pictured is what I was talking about.
Just to add to what Black Tee said about the anchorage---Its a lot easier and cheaper to overdo the base anchorage than to repair the damage done because you didn't!!
Good luck on getting it up in the air and I vote for a white pole! Please post pictures when you're done!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm not an engineer but your concrete being only 12" round and 3' deep does not seem enough to counter the forces of a 6' or 72 inch sign 18 feet off the ground. First it is not a banjo pole with the weight equally distributed (i.e. it hangs off the the side) and the wind force might be to much. Just my 2 cents. John

Last edited by Fueluser; Tue Feb 12 2013 01:51 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"The pad is only 19 inches square to fit the base. But it's sitting on a 12 inch diameter hole three feet deep."

Wow!! Think you need lot bigger pad all the way down

WTB. Arizona quarts,Indian signs/cans, Musgo/Shell/Speedway 79,graphic signs/cans,#616-886-4917...
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
you might consider talking to an engineer and/or concrete contractor.

I put a pic of my banjo pole and sign on earlier, personally I would not have mounted my banjo to the base you have created. That's just my opinion though.

I talked to a concrete contractor to figure out my requirements. 18' tall with a 6' round circle on top with 50-60 mile per hour winds is ALOT of torque.

Not trying to be hard on you, just hate to see a bad situation happen. Maybe what you have will suffice but I would talk to some professionals.

C
OP Offline
C
It's probably a little bigger than 12". I used a 12 inch auger on the bobcat to dig it. It tends to dig the hole a bit bigger as it wobbles around. I will get probably 6 inch anchors and use probably eight of them. If we get winds big enough to break off 12 inch thick concrete. My barn will be wrapped around the sign so it won't matter.
I can lift it up and set it with the tractor. No big deal there. I may try to set it up this weekend

D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Originally Posted By: Old Iron
I think you guys are both right in a way.A quick review of reference books by Wayne and Scott mentions two poles other than the banjo.One,called the shepards staff was the early one (20's)and was only 10'tall.Darin,that one may be what you are thinking ab ot with the 42"sign.Then later they used a side mount pole with the 72"signs that Kevin mentioned.When we see a pic,I suspect that it will be the side mount version,18' tall.

Anyway,back to his question,I personally have never seen a tall Texaco pole painted anything other than white.

Yes, the smaller 10' pole was the one I was thinking of. I like the side mount pole. A nice design you don't see that many of these days.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
That pad is a disaster waiting to happen. I am not trying to rain on your parade, but dig it up and put in more concrete! A 5 mile per hour wind will put thousands of pounds of force on the base. The base concrete should be no less that 36x36 and 72 inches deep minimum. Plus it should be full of 1 inch rebar.

If that sign falls on somebody or something you are going to wish you had done it right.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W/O an engineer doing the calculations for the footing, your insurance company will not cover any damage when sign blows/falls over.
I wouldn't use any less than 3-5 yds of Concrete in the hole w/ re-bar, shaped like a Pyramid & 19" sq mounting pad above grade. Make a base bolt pattern w/ plywood & set 12-18" J Bolts in wet Concrete.

I poured a similar pad like what you have done. My neighbor (who is a concrete engineer) stopped by after I poured it and laughed at me. I had a 12' diameter tube four feet in the ground with a 12x16 pad on top, no rebar. He took out his calculator and did some quick math and told me the first 1 mph wind was going to snap the top of the concrete off. He designed the footing that my sign is currently sitting on. I have 3.5 yards of concrete holding my sign up (standard sign). We have had some pretty good (50 plus MPH) winds and my sign is still standing.

I was reluctant to dig up my poorly designed footing, but am glad that I did.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I agree with the need to do a better pad. I am known to overengineer these things but I dig a 36" square hole and go 40"-48" deep. Using rebar to build a cage and attach the anchor bolts to..... then pouring in two yards of concrete. About 4000 lbs? so I've been told? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

C
OP Offline
C
Y'all have my attention now. I have a beam I am gonna bolt to that pad and see what is takes to push it over or break it. I have anything from a 50 to 135 horsepower 4 wheel drive tractor to do it with. The sign pole will probably never be put up now. I am not gonna rent a backhoe and then pour two yards of concrete. My wife would kill me. JR

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
sounds like you have a post auger to make the 12 inch hole.

what would happen if you made 3 or 4 holes, either a triangle or square, put rebar extending up in to a much larger pad and then rebar the heck out of the pad.

So the pad is rebarred, and also rebar from the pad down into the concrete legs into the ground.

This could be done without renting a backhoe.

I would think this would be quite strong. IMO

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I would agree with Roger.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved