Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#368893 Thu Nov 08 2012 10:16 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hello, is there anyone out there that could tell me the year of mfg of this Wayne 615 visible. It would be nice to know that as it will be a display at the museum and having a date on it would be a big help. Thanks in Advance it looks like 39602-Y?
WJCurator

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Going off the 1,715,552 pat. number that puts it at 1929'-30' i think is the correct years.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks, I appreciate you letting me know the date. WjCurator

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
1932 re; serial #.
Pat. #'s just says that Some Items used on the pump was Patented w/ those #'s

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Dick, it is appreciated. WJCurator

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Just to back up what DB said, patent numbers do not mean anything. Bring up the Gilbarco Pump Co. who is still in business. On their website they state that they started making gas pumps in 1910.
I have ads from 1902 showing the pumps they claim they started makeing in 1910. In my gas pump ID book I also identify over 17 pumps they made before 1910.
It seems that in 1910 someone at Gilbert & Barker decided that they should patent all the pumps they had been making for ten years. I have sent this information to Gilbarco, but they have not changed their website.
Never look at when a patent was issued, look at when it was applied for. Then figure it took at least a year to perfect the item, and since no one waited for a patent to be issued to start production, you might be able to estimate when the item was first produced.
DB and I are really into patents, and I think he will agree, that most pumps were not patented. The pump companies didn't bother, they just went into production.
In the history of gas pumps, the item that was patened that caused the most law suits for infringements was the patent that was issued to the Wayne Pump Co. for what we refer to as he "Computer." When this was introduced, many companies tried to come up with their version, but from my research, every pump company that tried to make their on version was sued successfully by Wayne.
Thus, the same computer was in every pump made from 1932 to into the 1980s.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Fri Nov 09 2012 01:16 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Saw this discussion on patent nos but I have serial number on wayne 615 and would like to know year of manufacture. Any help?

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
1932 re; serial #.
Pat. #'s just says that Some Items used on the pump was Patented w/ those #'s

Dick is correct per the serial number pump was made in 1932 39467Y - 46932Y is 1932

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved