Page 1 of 2 1 2
#394297 Fri Feb 15 2013 08:59 AM
T
TerryL Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Picked up my Rapid Dayton 600 yesterday from the resto shop. It has been there for 7 years. It is dismantled, some of it is painted, some not. I just hope I got everything. What is painted is the wrong shade of blue so, will need painted again. Not sure where to start or how I will know when I am done. lol

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WOW. I hope they did not charge you anything. I am assuming they did not what to do the job.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
T
TerryL Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
No charge, The fellow passed away that was doing it.
Does anyone know if there are new glass cylinders available for this pump? Mine is cracked pretty bad. I am also wondering if I can get maybe brass rods that go around the cylinder

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What gave ya that idea Keith?

Tis trouble when you say your not in a hurry to have it done.

T
TerryL Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I am just finishing up a Wayne 70 that I took the doors and panels to the paint shop over a year ago and just got them back a few weeks ago. It's a shame no one wants to work.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Hey Terry give me a call next time you want some bodywork/paintwork done. I have many references and pictures for you to check out. I do mostly auto restorations but loves the gas pumps too, and it wont sit in my shop forever! Very reasonable rates!
Steve 573 201 8444

C
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
C
You know that is the truth to people who have body shops and say that they can do gas pumps. It will sit there and it seems like there is no incentive for the job to get done. I am going through this again. I see all the great work some of the pump restorers do and wonder why so many body guys just let the stuff lay. They can be making more money or should not have said that they could do it period.
Nothing is cheap here yet so many cry about not enough work, check out the immigrants that have come here. Many Many have done great because of the work ethic and drive to have something. Here it seems most wine and say how bad or hard it is to work.

Craig
T
TerryL Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
It has been very discouraging for me. I have to try and figure out what to do with the Rapid Dayton. I did not take it apart and really not sure I got everything that should be with it.

Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
You know that is the truth to people who have body shops and say that they can do gas pumps. It will sit there and it seems like there is no incentive for the job to get done. I am going through this again. I see all the great work some of the pump restorers do and wonder why so many body guys just let the stuff lay. They can be making more money or should not have said that they could do it period.
Nothing is cheap here yet so many cry about not enough work, check out the immigrants that have come here. Many Many have done great because of the work ethic and drive to have something. Here it seems most wine and say how bad or hard it is to work.

I have found that restoring gas pumps is how to NOT make money. I dont even take them in anymore.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

T
TerryL Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I do most of the dis assembly myself and the re assembly I am NOT a body man or a painter. This particular pump I took the whole thing to a restorer because I wanted it professionally done.
My Wayne 70, I took the doors and panels to be painted after I had them blasted and primed. The guy said he would have them done in 2 to 3 weeks. Ended up it was over a year later before I got them back. He also told me $400 to $600 to paint and buff out, Got the bill for $982.00. It is going to take me a year to pay him.lol

Originally Posted By: TerryL

The guy said he would have them done in 2 to 3 weeks. Ended up it was over a year later before I got them back. He also told me $400 to $600 to paint and buff out, Got the bill for $982.00. It is going to take me a year to pay him.lol

Ouch, I would not be happy.....

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Similar thing happened to me. Body shop guy had it forever, returned it with missing parts,a bad paint job and charged me twice as much as he quoted. I could have done a better job blind drunk with a rattle can, which is usually how I prefer to work, so should have done it myself.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
It has been very discouraging for me. I have to try and figure out what to do with the Rapid Dayton. I did not take it apart and really not sure I got everything that should be with it.

If you need some pictures of one, let me know. I can post them here in this thread or maybe this thread can answer your questions-http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=229577&page=1

T
TerryL Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Thanks Dave, I am sure I will be calling on you. I need a cylinder, mine is cracked, I am also wondering about brass rods that hold the cylinder in place.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Thanks Dave, I am sure I will be calling on you. I need a cylinder, mine is cracked, I am also wondering about brass rods that hold the cylinder in place.

The cylinders are the same as the Fry Mae Wests, so they're going to be tough to come by. The rods are 3 different lengths and I would just order 5/16" round brass stock in 12' lengths and cut them down to size and thread the ones that need to be threaded.(Some of the rods on this pump aren't threaded, they just support the top piece from being pulled down too far by the rods that are threaded).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved