Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I've thought about reproducing a few of the rare pumps that nobody can seem to find such as a Ferro or Milestone, but I'm just not sure how much demand and market there is for reproductions (if I do decide to reproduce, they will be marked out of respect for the hobby) but you'll have a tough time being able to tell, I use all cast iron, not aluminum. As far as tips go on how to spot one: Don't ever be afraid to have a friend tip the pump over and take a looksie up inside there to see what the guts look like, is the top and base aluminum, is there a real clock mech inside, and has the pipe or angle iron frame been replaced, does it even have an I.D. tag? Does it have an aftermarket sight gauge and can you tell the difference? Be Careful! Goober smile

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Goober, IF your thinking of Re-popping a couple of pumps, why not go where the money is SHOWCASE Single/Double?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is a good topic. In my opinion it's not the the known reproductions that are a problem. If your smart enough to be on Oldgas then your smart enough to know the repops, they are more than obvious. But there are people out there that do not have a clue as to what they are buying....for those people...I don't know.

Goober hits on some strong points. Probably one of the best tools besides your knowledge and good common sense is a magnet. Take the Wayne 800 that is reproduced, if it's restored correctly then it's hard to tell at first glance, till you check it with a magnet or as Goober suggests, look inside, open it up. Most likely someone will not take the time after getting a casting made to properly drill and tap all the openings that were necessary to actually pump gas. There are quit a few parts on pumps that were originally made from pot metal or some type of aluminum so some thought must be used when checking with a magnet. Also, I have yet to see anybody turn out a casting that is good as the originals, the window bezels and top for the Bennett 76 come to mind.

Then there is the matter of when an original pump is so far gone that hardly anything original can be reused. That topic is for another day. I just got home from a fantastic Peotone show and it's time for bed, got to go back to my real job tomorrow.

Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved