Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Notchcad makes a good point. Have you seen the teal green Beretta he drives?
I appreciate an overdone pump, all polished and chromed, with a layers deep paint job. If the pump was so far gone it needed a complete restore, I have no problem with going that route. The pumps I really enjoy though, are the survivors that are in good enough shape to leave alone. They are only original once! If you want to butcher a pristine pump into a full custom, I say: OUCH! If you have a pile of parts laying around and want to assemble them in a way pleasing to you: Have at it, and I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by Flatland; Thu Mar 21 2013 05:51 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
JimT #403392 Thu Mar 21 2013 06:56 PM
K
K
Interesting idea

Koby Vinokor
516-353-2440

OLD LICENSE PLATE WANTED (Porcelain, Leather, Early Plates, Specializing in New York)

www.facebook.com/kmvantiques
Flatland #403394 Thu Mar 21 2013 07:00 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
To over simplify to 2 sides:
side 1) You should do your pump the way I want you to do it
side 2) You should do your pump the way you want to do it

I'm all for preserving history, but let's face it, as much as we love old gas stations and gas pumps, they aren't the liberty bell or the Spirit of St. Louis.

If 1 out of a thousand Wayne 60's are made to look like a space ship, it's not the end of the world or completely obscuring or rewriting history.
If it gets up to 5 out of a thousand, then we should get the government involved to make at least 3 of those 5 conform.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I thought that they were lemons. Should have been here trying to peel one.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Its yours .Do as you please . Don't Get me wrong ,I like rust(patina) just as much as the next guy. Most my pumps I have not touched. But if the only way I can get a few in the house is restored , then so be-it. A lot of the major brands back in the days had pretty common paint schemes. Some pretty boring .Just one color and do beleive they need just a little more than that.

GENE

azjockey #403779 Sat Mar 23 2013 03:07 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm late to this topic but thought I'd post a link to Old Irons mention of the skull pump... smile

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=28929&Number=182294#Post182294

bppierce #403819 Sat Mar 23 2013 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: bppierce
To over simplify to 2 sides:
side 1) You should do your pump the way I want you to do it
side 2) You should do your pump the way you want to do it

I'm all for preserving history, but let's face it, as much as we love old gas stations and gas pumps, they aren't the liberty bell or the Spirit of St. Louis.

If 1 out of a thousand Wayne 60's are made to look like a space ship, it's not the end of the world or completely obscuring or rewriting history.
If it gets up to 5 out of a thousand, then we should get the government involved to make at least 3 of those 5 conform.
. Perfect...and all I have to say to you notchcad is.....

. grin wink

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
oldnfuelish #403887 Sat Mar 23 2013 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Clinton will look good going to Iowa gas in that mick, maybe he will pick me up as well , Clinton I will pay you gas money! But does the a/c work , isn't that in August?

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe he has a Portable AC unit like the use in Colo.!

N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
It's in August but its not hot. I was running around helping people load pumps and carry ice chests and filling my trailer for 4 days and never broke a sweat! Ill find dick a beretta gt to take out there with AC so he can conserve gas and sit in the AC and eat his fruits and smoke all week long in style!

Notchcad #404074 Sun Mar 24 2013 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
How many people that collect and restore gas pumps actually worked in a gas station or seen them in every day use?

Gas pumps for the most part in every region of the country were painted over with several coats of paint by hand. As components failed many times smaller companies, jobbers, and independents mismatched parts to keep things running. It wouldn't be uncommon to see holes drilled in panels, bailing wire, and many other concoctions.

The second you blow a nice shiny paint job on that pump authenticity went out the window. So what difference at that point does it make what you do to it?

When I started collecting and restoring pumps I don't remember signing any user agreement that I would assume any liability to 'represent the gas and oil industry in a historically accurate manner'

If that's the criteria to own a gas pump I would say 90% of all pumps in people's collections are frauds. Better call the pump police and start fining folk.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved