Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Originally Posted By: Garry Krangnes
You may be right about the emails,but he may trust his friend more than others that he doesn't know. I just think that everyone should have his day in court. Give him some time to explain his side before blackballing him. Just saying.
Agree!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
I've dealt with him before and talked to him on more than a few occasions... I think you are jumping the gun on this one Dave. He is new to the hobby and isn't in the know like some of you. And so he left it on there and it sold. Did he get honest with the buyer??? Did he even accept payment? Do you know? I mean come on. If he did this one time it's one thing. If he did it weekly its another. Give a new guy a break. You learn something everyday and there is no reason to bash someone without knowing his true intentions. I'm usually a pretty good judge of character and he seems legit to me.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Once, the authenticity of the sign was brought into question. The auction should have been ended. That was the only right thing to do. Short of that, everything else is an excuse. People are judged for their actions...not their intentions.

Remorse after the fact, doesn't change the fact that a fake was sold as a real sign after being made aware. Ignorance is never a defense. Ignoring the obvious is never wise.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Some people aren't as smart nor wise as you Dave. And we don't hang people anymore here in the U.S. give the guy a chance. If I bought 20 things from you and you snuck in a fake and then Jim told me it was not real I wouldn't immediately call you a thief and a ***** and a fraud. I'd probably just slide it under my tool box and forget about it cause the fuss isn't worth the reward. Move on and enjoy the hobby.

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
I’ve had a passion for this hobby for a long time but am just now starting to collect higher end pieces and thanks GOD for this site because there are a lot of knowledgeable and HONEST people on here which is an invaluable resource for a newbie like me. I’m SHOCKED by how many fakes are identified on this site and the prices they bring on Ebay. I think the buyers have to except some of the responsibility too, but it does kind of turned me off from the hobby and I could see where it could really do harm to it if it continues at this pace. I’m not quitting, but I’m pretty leery..

I like to collect Standard oil and wanted to get a red crown sign but couldn’t tell what was what. Posted the question on oldgase and DWSheffer offered up some excellent information complete with pictures. Now when I’m browsing and I spot a fake I contact the individual just to express my opinion. If they didn’t know and remove it, great. If they think I can go F myself, so be it, but at least they know people are watching.

Today and ran across this sign: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Standard-White-Crown-Porcelain-Pump-Sign-1951-/160988261394 and I knew it was a repop so I contacted the seller. I haven’t receive a reply but again at least they know people are watching. I know a lot of others do this also and I encourage everyone to do it.

It also got me thinking that maybe if enough of us started complaining Ebay would staff someone like some of you veteran members on this site on their staff. There are plenty of true experts on this site and just maybe they would give them or the moderators the authority to VETO listing identified as fakes and listed as originals. Or at least provide a direct contact within Ebay itself that can end the listing. Just a thought.
That being said, I agree 100% with everything Dave said. I think there are times when honest mistakes are made but if it’s intentional there’s no excuse for it.

Last edited by FLHRci01; Fri Mar 22 2013 09:52 PM.
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Originally Posted By: Notchcad
Some people aren't as smart nor wise as you Dave. And we don't hang people anymore here in the U.S. give the guy a chance. If I bought 20 things from you and you snuck in a fake and then Jim told me it was not real I wouldn't immediately call you a thief and a ***** and a fraud. I'd probably just slide it under my tool box and forget about it cause the fuss isn't worth the reward. Move on and enjoy the hobby.
Agree!

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Dave, you need to slow down. I doubt many people would stop an auction at the last minute because someone who they DON'T know tells them that they should. You don't know what has transpired since the auction ended. There is nothing wrong with selling a fake sign. They are bought and sold every day. Your problem is not knowing or telling that it is fake. Hopefully that was resolved between buyer and seller. Until this is known, I don't see why anyone would want to crucify him. I give up.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gary,
Does that mean that your going to Finally Pay Up to the Agreed on price for parts that were delivered in the condition that was sent in pictures thru emails?

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Dick, what the hell are you talking about? If you have a problem, let me know what it is. I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Last edited by Garry Krangnes; Fri Mar 22 2013 10:56 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
861 parts

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Dick, I paid you exactly what you asked for on those parts when I picked them up from YOU at Roy Reeds three years ago. You know damn well that is right!!! Anything else, you're a damn *****. If you have a problem, this is Not the place to bring it up. Be a man and say it to my face. I've seen you at Roy's since.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You were short & you know it

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Fri Mar 22 2013 11:18 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is real simple...and should not be subject to experience, intelligence, etc. If a problem has been pointed out(fake, repo, stolen item, etc.), stop the auction immediately OR post the info on the auction page. Allow the bidders to withdraw their bids.You can always relist the item later with a revised ad if there is an issue with the item. One cannot excuse this conduct. I am not calling anyone names either. IF one starts making excuses, you will have more issues to deal with.This website should not be an instrument of adjudication either, but some sort of internal process or mechanism should be adopted so that it does not become haven for "characters". I remember a different situation earlier when the courts were involved and some of you spoke in defense of the guy because you had done business with him.That is good for a character reference, but it has nothing to do with the specific act in question. KEEP IT SIMPLE! Follow some type of due process. Be fair and consistent, but DO NOT EXCUSE.It is what it is. Members on this site are all adults and as such are accountable for their actions. When you are buying/selling you must be responsible and your actions held to a certain standard. Remember...DUE PROCESS. Don't we have some legal authorities on here? Help me out with this ? HA ! Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

I think the seller should talk to the winning bidder and discuss with him that it's a reproduction.

The membership is not here to make up rules as we go along. This is Jim Potts site, not ours.

This problem as been brought to the memberships attention, leave it alone now.

Doug

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: blacktee

I think the seller should talk to the winning bidder and discuss with him that it's a reproduction.

The membership is not here to make up rules as we go along. This is Jim Potts site, not ours.

This problem as been brought to the memberships attention, leave it alone now.

Doug

I agree!!!

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved