Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hey guys. I just wanted to explain my side to everyone, and let me start out by saying, I appreciate everyone's input in this, start to finish.

I have been collecting for a couple of years now. I love the hobby and I am here to stay. I love the passion in the hobby, I love the people you get to meet and the friends you make.

I purchased the pump plate thinking it was legitimate myself. Since I have never really been a Gulf collector I had a very experienced local collector look at the pump plate and his opinion was that it was authentic as well. After this, I listed it on eBay for five days. During the course of the five days, it had around 130 views, many bids and I had not recieved any information that it was a reproduction. Approximately 2 hours before the auction ended, Dave contacted me and told me it was a reproduction. I had never spoken to or met Dave and made an incorrect decision and went forth with the auction. After it sold, I contacted the buyer right away and told him the concern I recieved. He was very polite and responded with the following:

"yes, if others also had doubts, why don't you just refund my paypal the full amount. This way we wipe the slate clean. I know it's hard to tell with those because some of the 20 year old repros are really good. I would rather not take the chance and create more hassle. Please confirm that you will not negativly affect my feedback. Thanks so much for your willingness to make it right. "

I sent him a refund immediately.

I want to tell everyone that this was truly a mistake on my part. I am still learning and once there was any concern about the legitimacy of the plate, I should have pulled it immediately. It was a mistake not to do so. We are all collectors that are having to protect ourselves from counterfeiting and I would never intentionally perpetuate the element of people that make their money from it.

I have learned a valuable lesson from this whole event. From this point on, I will use the members here to assist in spotting reproductions as well as the experience if friends. If anything is ever called into question again, it will be pulled immediately and investigated fully.

All I can do from here is offer my apologies for all of this, and hope you accept it.

Thanks,
Doug Steinhour

Anything MICHELIN and early graphic tin signs
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well said.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This can be a tough situation. I have had people question items I had listed on Ebay before thinking they were repo and they were in fact original. I have even had people at swap meets tell me my capco globes are repo because they are plastic and the "real" globes are glass. You never know how knowledgable the person is giving you the info unless you know them or know of them.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I wasn't a fan of this thread to begin with, but I didn't comment because I only heard one side and nothing I could have said would have meant anything anyhow.

Now that I heard the flip side, ya, what JimT said, "well said".
EVERYBODY makes mistakes, how you handle them is the true sign of character.

N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Roll the credits! This soap opera is over! Tune in tomorrow on the next installment of "one life to live" north of the border edition continues.....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good deal and well put.Enough said.
Dave Jones

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am glad that is over but what about Dave and Dick are they ok.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
One other thing, I apologize for my initial posts on this. I was angered by some messages I had recieved on eBay calling me some really bad names. It's tough when your integrity is called into question, and tougher when people start using angry unprofessional language at you.

I hastily responded and regret doing so. I fell into the same behavior I was presented with and should have known better. I teach my children to rise above that and should've done so myself.

I feel one of the most important character traits a man can posses is the ability to take responsibility for his actions. I take responsibility for mine here and appreciate the understanding from you all.

Situations like this can lead to an improvement for us all if we choose to take it for what it is. A chance to learn, apologize and improve.

Last edited by Proud_Dad; Sat Mar 23 2013 11:47 AM.

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Handled extremely well Proud_Dad!

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Proud_Dad, You are alright in my book! It takes a real man to handle things wisely , Keep up the good work!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Guys;

I hate to mess this topic up by using common sense and good judgement, but I will. Please go back to the very beginning of this post and read all the comments. Hopefully the following facts don't confuse to many people.

Fact #1 Dave called Proud Dad out big time for selling a repo sign (which it probably was.)

Fact #2 Proud Dad responded that he had showed the sign to a person localy that he trusted. Right or wrong I would value the opinion of someone I knew personaly over someone who I have never met that sends an eamil just before the auction closes.

Fact #3 In the middle of the 1st page of this post Proud Dad says that he contacted the ebay buyer and told him that he would refund his money if the buyer was not happy.

There should have been a round of "ataboys" and "way to go Proud Dad" after that post, but no, many of you guys continue to verbally beat him up.

This is an incredible site and a great resourse for all of us who enjoy this hobby. Jim Potts is a good friend of mine and on more than one occasion I have thanked and also told him I don't know why he puts up with a lot of the nit picking that goes on.

As I sit here I can think of 6 different guys, each with decades of experience in this hobby, guys who have forgotton more than many of us know, that no longer post on this site. Why? Because what we have seen on this post happens regularily. When there is a fire to many people would rather throw gas on the fire as opposed to water.

Early in my collecting I have bought and may have unknowingly sold repo items. It happens. Good job Proud Dad, way to go and do the right thing!

You guys can go and rip om me now if you like, but quite honestly I would rather see few apolgies to Proud Dad from you who have jumped to conclusions with out reading the 3 facts I listed above.

What a great site, a big thanks to Jim and all the mederators for all the BS they put up with!

Lonnie Hop

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well said Lonnie

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Your attention to this matter was needed and is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Lonnie!

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Good points Lonnie. And welcome back proud dad!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Cheers everyone. Thanks for the understanding.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved