Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
They say you should learn something new everyday, so I guess I am done, and can just waste the rest of today!

This is actually the very kind of discussion I enjoy.I had never seen that type of pump light, nor heard the "mercury processed" by Sunoco. Some of you guys have such a wealth of info, and I appreciate you taking time to share it.

Thanks, Kody

Last edited by Flatland; Sat Mar 23 2013 02:11 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have a lot of catalogs from lighting companies including Revere, and I have never seen this before.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Stumbled across another pic with the same/similar set up.

cincinatti (2).jpg

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...Jack, what are the odds that the one Revere catalog I have, is one that you don't? crazy

Revere Lighting Catalog "H" from 1941:

...page 63, in the lower right corner...note the two light bulbs within the globe:

Last edited by gulfiend!; Tue Apr 02 2013 02:36 PM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
now that is a good picture of one some body show us one in their collection.

Last edited by coheley5; Tue Apr 02 2013 06:44 PM.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Mark,
You got me there, yes I do not have that catalog.

Good work,

Jack

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I love old photos , all that history in one shot.
Sharing photos initiates these kind of discussions.
Thanks for your efforts.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
Mark,
You got me there, yes I do not have that catalog.

Good work,

Jack

...Jack, I would have thought for sure you did - you've got everything!

...a couple of weeks ago, I bought a oil jobber catalog, that was actually many manufacturer catalogs bound together with brass brads - the Revere catalog was one of the catalogs...I unbound them, for ease of reading, but kept the cover and left them in the same order as they were bound...

...I found it at the flea market, and asked the guy 'how much?'...he said '$5 - there's a couple more over there'...I of course asked where they were, and he pointed at two old phone books...

...I paid him the $5 and left the phone books...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Great information Mark!! Thanks for helping to figure it out.

Now we need a picture of a brand other than Sunoco. Or were they possibly the only brand that ordered these.

Steve Coppens
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great detective work Mark, thanks for sharing. Interesting that Revere were offering these for 15" as well as 16 1/2" sized bodies. Did Sunoco use 16 1/2" globes? Cheers, Don.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
SC62
You are assuming too much. Not all pumps and pump accessories were purchased by the oil company. These catalogs were available to anyone in the service station business. Mom & Pop may have seen them in a catalog and purchased them.

Jack Sim

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I gotcha!! I thought, like I believe most franchises are today, where corporate controls this sort of thing in order to control brand recognition.
Thanks Jack!!

Steve Coppens
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Recently I came into conversation with a guy in central Mi. whose dad owned a Sunoco station. He has some very minty stuff. One thing he had was this apparently NOS globe. Unfortunately he won't sell it cuz he wants to put in on top of the visible pump that he says he also has. Even though I showed him that this globe dates long after the visible era. (globe CD places this globe 1946-1950)
Anyway. the reason I am posting this into this old thread is this. Notice how the globe has what looks like tape on top, apparently from the factory in that it is the same color as the frame. Well if you look close, you can see where this tape is covering a hole. Just the kind of hole that would make the light poles in this original posting possible.
Just thought it was very interesting.
Too bad he won't sell. This globe looks flawless. I wrote him to find out what the little writing at the bottom of the lense says. He also tells me there is another brand new frame in the box. I'm trying to convince him to sell me that. We'll see.

NOS globe Mount Pleasant.jpg
Last edited by SC62; Fri Jul 19 2013 04:53 PM.

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When this globe body popped up on my feebay newly listed alerts I was thinking that there was an interesting discussion on here a while back about the globe with the light pole going through it. Well, I can't remember what happened yesterday most of the time so I searched and found this thread and realized that I just had to gather up the parts and build one of those pumps! It happened to be a BIN so I snatched up the body and thought I'd do the necessary research later. Seems like my most involved (and expensive) projects always start with one part I pick up and then have to have everything else that goes with it. Now I need the Revere pole light and a M&S 70 pump and some Blue Sunoco lenses! The body looks like the one SteveC posted that had the taped up hole, the tape and the cardboard cover piece on this one looks like it's been there for years so who knows if it was ever used with the pole? Steve, did you actually have those pictures or were they just internet images? If I do a pump, I'd like to have a real picture to show it in use.

101_0398.JPG 101_0399.JPG 101_0400.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice find. Interesting to note that both (yours & the one found by Steve) are low profile bodies.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved